If only they had finished it..............

Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, [ProToS], lp, moondog/.tSCc., Moderator Team

jd
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

If only they had finished it..............

Postby jd » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:05 am

Marakatti
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Marakatti » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:42 am

Makes me wonder if this really is a f040 case, since it doesn't look even a bit like the other images from the same prototype... Or have I missed something during the years?
-------------< Member of Atarimania >-----------
-< ST / STe / Falcon030 / TT030 archiver >-
-------------> www.atarimania.com <-------------

alexh
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby alexh » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:29 am

I was just thinking the same thing, doesn't look like what I've seen.

But I think I may be confusing it with the Atari Microbox.

http://www.atarimuseum.com/computers/16 ... /index.htm

The design of which was later "borrowed" heavily by Sony for the PS2 (and credit given in their patent).

Anyhow it's being sold by Jaysmith, a well known and respected member of the Atari community.

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:07 pm

I've seen tons of prototypes over the years, never seen this case. No Atari logo, no paperwork, no proof. I'd venture to say it's a scam. I could just as easily put any old case on ebay and report I got it from an x-engineer.

I can ever remember seeing an Atari prototype made of metal either. It looks more like one of them generic 3rd party cases, used to re-case an ST or Falcon motherboard. The back side don't even have specific holes punched for the ports. Which is very suspicious if you ask me.

bullis1
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby bullis1 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:39 pm

lp wrote:I've seen tons of prototypes over the years, never seen this case. No Atari logo, no paperwork, no proof. I'd venture to say it's a scam. I could just as easily put any old case on ebay and report I got it from an x-engineer.

I can ever remember seeing an Atari prototype made of metal either. It looks more like one of them generic 3rd party cases, used to re-case an ST or Falcon motherboard. The back side don't even have specific holes punched for the ports. Which is very suspicious if you ask me.

Very good points. It could be a case for anything. Atari was keen on its brand, so the lack of any sort of logo is odd.

The only thing that makes it seem like it could be an Atari case is the third photo, showing the inside. The open bay to the right looks like the spot where joystick ports would go. Or maybe a cart port? It certainly doesn't have room for both. Then again, alot of old computers have joystick ports somewhere.

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:57 am

The 'JaySmith' brand is an important one for all kinds of old Atari prototypes.

Mate flew over to visit him when he bought the Atari Jaguar VR helmet & unit about 18 months ago.
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

Desty
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Desty » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:29 pm

Currently $200 + 50 shipping for just a case? Well, whatever floats your boat...
tá'n poc ar buile!

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:54 am

Well to be on the safe side, I'll rephrase that. Perhaps it's not a scam. However, I very much think Jaysmith was mis-informed about the origins of that particular case. :D

Nyh
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Nyh » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:58 pm

lp wrote:I've seen tons of prototypes over the years, never seen this case. No Atari logo, no paperwork, no proof. I'd venture to say it's a scam. I could just as easily put any old case on ebay and report I got it from an x-engineer.

But the ventilation grooves at the back side is very Atari ST/MegaST/Falcon.

Hans Wessels

stimpy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby stimpy » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:46 pm

There looks to be a square right by the floppy drive hole, looks like the sort you get on PC cases. That seems very un atari like, I think all the atari badges were parallelogram shape?
Netus-Bee,Repairs,Upgrades,EtherNEC,Eiffel

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:59 pm

On the ST and Falcon the ventilation slots are slanted. Look close also at the Falcon040 motherboard photos on the net, you won't find any edge connector that lines up to what looks like a cartridge port either.

I'd be more inclined to think it was an Atari-PC x86 prototype case, if anything. The only part that appears to be plastic is the front, which is so very much unlike Atari.

Maybe whoever buys the overpriced case, can also buy an overpriced non-functional Falcon040 motherboard, and see if the mounting posts line up. :D

bullis1
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby bullis1 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:56 pm

Good detective work man.

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:17 pm

I see on the ebay page people are wanting proof, which he can't really give, except to contact other people. Sure as heck if you contact the historical museum and it is indeed what he claims it is, then Curt will more than likely bid, and anyone else can forget winning it. lol

The Falcon040 motherboard is also not very wide on the connector side, it's only about 2 sims long, if you look at the sim slot that runs parallel to the ports. So the slot on the back for the ports would be unusually long, as it runs the full length of the case.

Since it has no Atari logo I'd give about $2 for it seeing how there's not even a PSU fitted. Imagine someone visiting and you go, hey look, I got a Falcon040 prototype case, you know exactly what the reaction will be... yeah right, where's the logo? haha Then try to prove it. ;)

I have a Atari license plate frame, which Curt verified is rather rare, but it has the Atari logo and name on it, plus "Power without the price", so there is no guess work.

Richard
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Richard » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:57 pm

lol the first question on the e-bay item has a link to my web page. Sure I have an '040 Falcon but its just an standard Falcon with an Afterburner.

Richard.

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re:

Postby joska » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:38 pm

Richard wrote:lol the first question on the e-bay item has a link to my web page. Sure I have an '040 Falcon but its just an standard Falcon with an Afterburner.

I have an Afterburner as well, although it's not in use ATM (which will change shortly as my "new" Falcon arrived today). Were you on the AB mailing list about ten years ago? Seems to recall a Richard from the UK.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

Richard
Atari User
Atari User

Re: Re:

Postby Richard » Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:43 am

joska wrote:
Richard wrote:lol the first question on the e-bay item has a link to my web page. Sure I have an '040 Falcon but its just an standard Falcon with an Afterburner.

I have an Afterburner as well, although it's not in use ATM (which will change shortly as my "new" Falcon arrived today). Were you on the AB mailing list about ten years ago? Seems to recall a Richard from the UK.

Nope wasn't me, I've only had my AB for about 5 years.

I see from your sig you have a Milan060, I have one also! Might have to PM you some questions I have about my one if you don't mind?

Cheers,

Richard.

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: Re:

Postby joska » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:56 pm

Richard wrote:I see from your sig you have a Milan060, I have one also! Might have to PM you some questions I have about my one if you don't mind?

Sure, go ahead :)
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

Mal7921
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: If only they had finished it..............

Postby Mal7921 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:43 am

Ok, so why is everyone so excited about an olivetti concept computer case?

There is however a connection with the Falcon040 in that Atari, Olivetti and others used the same company for making mock up cases, as to who that company is/was I can't remember, it's one of those silly little things that I pick up on browsing the web.

Also a fully functional computer was demonstrated in a case like this a number of years ago, though it was not made by Atari, but by Acorn, who were possibly given a case as they were part owned by Olivetti at the time. The Acorn demonstrated never made it into production though, and to be honest with the low profile and small slot at the back for printer, mouse and keyboard ports (As well as serial, SCSI and video) this looks like one of the aborted Archimedes cases.

Cricky I pick up so much useless info browsing the web.
The collection:

Atari 260ST, 520ST, 520ST+, 520STfm
Atari STe
Atari Falcon, 14MB, 40GB IDE drive

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Re: If only they had finished it..............

Postby Dal » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:00 am

Yeah I have to admit the case did look like it could have been anything from around that time. Does anyone know if it sold? if so, how much did some mug pay for it (hoping the mug in question isn't a member of this forum :? )
Mega"SST" 12, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

Social Media

Return to “Professionals”