Daynaport SCSI/Link-T on Falcon

Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, Moderator Team

MaLICiouS
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Daynaport SCSI/Link-T on Falcon

Postby MaLICiouS » Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:29 pm

I'm trying to get my Daynaport SCSI/Link-T working on my Falcon. I've set the ID to 1, and enabled termination. HDDRIVER 8.13 locates it on boot.
hddrutil says

Code: Select all

01.00: Dayna SCSI/Link         1.3    Processor
07.00: ATARI   FALCON HDDRIVER 0813  Processor

MiNT-Net (kernel 1.16.3) refuses, however, to identify the device using the latest driver from anodyne software(mintn060.zip). It simply states that a SCSI/Link device couldn't be found.
Any ideas?
4MB 1040STe
4MB Mega/STE with FreeMiNT/XaAESm 40MB SCSI HD, 1.44M floppy
Recased Falcon030 with CT2, 64MB TT-RAM, 4MB ST-RAM, FreeMiNT/XaAES, EtherNEC and 40GB HDD

MaLICiouS

Postby MaLICiouS » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:15 pm

Now I also tried it with STiNG. Still can't find it.
4MB 1040STe
Recased Falcon030 with CT2, 64MB TT-RAM, 4MB ST-RAM, FreeMiNT/XaAES, EtherNEC and 40GB HDD

MaLICiouS

Postby MaLICiouS » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:37 pm

Time for an update:
Sometimes when I click the "bus rescan" in hddrutil, and then choose configure devices, the daynaport disappears and/or cannot be configured (hddrutil says "this device is not compatible with the SCSI or the ATAPI specification"). Sometimes a random character appears at the end of the device name.
Is it possible that my SCSI port is broken?
4MB 1040STe

jd
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby jd » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:30 am

do a warm reboot after your desktop has loaded, should find it properly then. Doing a cold-boot sometimes fails to find devices.

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:48 am

MaLICiouS wrote:Time for an update:
Sometimes when I click the "bus rescan" in hddrutil, and then choose configure devices, the daynaport disappears and/or cannot be configured (hddrutil says "this device is not compatible with the SCSI or the ATAPI specification"). Sometimes a random character appears at the end of the device name.
Is it possible that my SCSI port is broken?

It looks like you're having DMA problems. Have you tried other SCSI devices? Any problems with sound or floppy? I doubt that the SCSI port/controller itself is broken.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

MaLICiouS

Postby MaLICiouS » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:56 pm

I'm now successfully running a SCSI CD-ROM through the daynaport without issues. This at least rules out the possibility of a broken cable. Sound and floppy works without problem. Only thing I can think of is that FreeMiNT/XaAES crashes when I try to play songs with FalcAMP and memory protection is on, but that sounds more like a memory protection issue to me.
Thanks for your help!
4MB 1040STe

MaLICiouS

Postby MaLICiouS » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:11 pm

Oh, forgot to tell you:
When I use id-test.app from SCSI-Tools it detects my CD-ROM just fine, but when it comes to the daynaport's ID, the daynaport seems to reset(activity comes on, link status goes black, power flashes for a second).
4MB 1040STe

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:59 am

MaLICiouS wrote:I'm now successfully running a SCSI CD-ROM through the daynaport without issues. This at least rules out the possibility of a broken cable.

Sounds like your SCSI is OK. I'm afraid I don't have any good advice, as I don't have a Daynaport and haven't been using SCSI on my Falcon since 1999 ;-)

Termination could be an issue though - how do you terminate the Daynaport?

MaLICiouS wrote:Only thing I can think of is that FreeMiNT/XaAES crashes when I try to play songs with FalcAMP and memory protection is on, but that sounds more like a memory protection issue to me.

No, that's a FalcAMP issue ;-)
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

MaLICiouS

Postby MaLICiouS » Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:09 am

joska wrote:Termination could be an issue though - how do you terminate the Daynaport?

It has a built-in termination switch. I've also tried an external terminator. No difference. Attached is my current SCSI setup.
Thanks again for your help!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4MB 1040STe

MaLICiouS

Re: Daynaport SCSI/Link-T on Falcon

Postby MaLICiouS » Mon May 05, 2008 10:46 am

OK. Time for a follow-up.
My friend got it to work on his Falcon (With CT63). He simply set it to ID 0 and the driver detected it correctly.
I said earlier that my CD-ROM drive worked flawlessly. That is not the case. I can list files in both MiNT and TOS. However, when I try to copy files to the HDD or read them directly from CD, the files end up corrupt.
I suspect I might have a DMA issue. Another thing worth mentioning is that my NVRAM battery is bust. The Daynaport requires SCSI arbitration to be enabled, and this option is stored in NVRAM. I can change NVRAM settings using Centek's NVRAM utility, and at least the boot resolution survives reset (but not power cycling, though).
Would replacing the clockchip be a solution to the SCSI issues?

Thanks again for your help!
4MB 1040STe

TTowner
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby TTowner » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:49 am

I am thinking, what about the parity bit of the dynaport, sometimes I have a problem similar to what has been described, I found parity issues on some drives makes the ICD software behave as if the device is either not there or that it throws spurious charecters up in the drives name..
I don't have a solution for the dynaport device as I have never used one.

Before you go hacking your Dma port with a hammer, try to find a solution using a parity issue as the basis to start from.

While I am here, would anyone care to donate a copy of the SCSi tools disk? I could sure use it right now.

Hope this helps..
Hades060 & 2 TT030 machines.Nova & Spektrum Graphics cards,1 Reibel network cards,1 Netusb,Slm Lazer printer, Epson GT600 flatbed, 2 SCSi to IDE interface + UltraSatan.Nakamachi 7 & 5 CD disk changers.Mega STE .[url]http://www.llill.co/5j
[/url]

MaLICiouS

Postby MaLICiouS » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:12 pm

My problems have gone away since I replaced the motherboard. I now also have an EtherNEC, which is way faster than the Daynaport.
It seems my SCSI was broken after all.
4MB 1040STe

MacFalcon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby MacFalcon » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:36 pm

How is Ethernec faster than daynaport? I have it the other way round... ethernec is MUCH slower than daynaport... But maybe that´s because my bus is at 25 Mhz... I remember using 16 MHz bus was a bit faster... but definately not as fast as daynaport...
Falcon060, 100/25 MHz, 256 MB SD-RAM, PhantomPBS, CTPCI with Radeon, USB and Network Card. atari rulez!

Beej

Postby Beej » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:39 am

MacFalcon wrote:How is Ethernec faster than daynaport? I have it the other way round... ethernec is MUCH slower than daynaport... But maybe that´s because my bus is at 25 Mhz... I remember using 16 MHz bus was a bit faster... but definately not as fast as daynaport...

Same here...EtherNEC around 5k, Dynaport more like 25k.
Only problem is...any zip file over 100k or so that I grab over the dynaport is 'corrupt' according to STZip. Any ideas what might cause this? Is there a fix? I know the origionals are fine for stzip...if I bring them over via floppy or flash they unzip without a hitch.

What gives?

Beej

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:22 am

I have succesfully transfered 20-30 MB of video & MP3 from my PC to the falc to test aniplay.
No issues found as all played as expected.
Let me try a large ZIP file and see.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:27 pm

Beej wrote:Same here...EtherNEC around 5k, Dynaport more like 25k.
Only problem is...any zip file over 100k or so that I grab over the dynaport is 'corrupt' according to STZip. Any ideas what might cause this? Is there a fix? I know the origionals are fine for stzip...if I bring them over via floppy or flash they unzip without a hitch.

What gives?

Beej

I just transfered 3 x 2MB ZIP files over from my PC to my Falc for the test.
All came over fine with zero data corruption on STZIP test.
May be it's the software you use to transfer them.
I am using FTP to transfer them.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI

Beej

Postby Beej » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:08 am

wongck wrote:I just transfered 3 x 2MB ZIP files over from my PC to my Falc for the test.
All came over fine with zero data corruption on STZIP test.
May be it's the software you use to transfer them.
I am using FTP to transfer them.

I first noticed it when I tried to grab a Quincy3 demo off the web using CAB. So...I grabbed it again with Opera on my PC. Fired up gaftp on the falcon and tried to get it from there via ftp. Yes, double checked that it was in binary mode. Tried both passive and port modes. Also tried aftp. Tried storing it to a couple of different partitions on the Falcon (maybe I better double check with a SCSI drive..for this session I had only the Dynaport on the chain). STzip coughs every time.

Next I tried a different file. Thing127e.zip demo version. Same deal. This archive I know was fine because I had used a floppy earlier and unzipped it on the Falcon to get the English bits out for my fresh N.AES setup. Quincy and Thing both unzip fine on the PC. Hmmm...I got everything I need using floppies or flash media, but I'm still a bit miffed at this. Further tests...if the zip file is small...say 200k or less it comes over uncorrupted. The one's in the 512k range and up came over botched. We're still talking rather small files in the grand scheme of things. The largest zip I tried to move this way was well under 1,400k.

This is a CT2b Falcon, but at this phase of getting back into Atari I've left the CT2 switched off. I did try various bus timings in STing...ranging from 10 to 50.

I use HDDriver 7.93, and presently run a very simple Geneva/NeoDesk environment in cooperative mode. Tried the same tests both with and without the CAF_FIX patch.

It does seem that my SCSI bus resets itself alot when using the dynaport...maybe every 6 to 10 seconds during a transfer; however, that minor skip doesn't seem to slow things down a bit...or cause any other system issues. I did try some lower recieve windows and such in STing...not sure what the ideal settings are for this device...but I started with the recommended settings for eNEC. SCSILNK.STX docs do not go into much detail about optimal buffers and such (unless I overlooked it all somehow).

Note...when I put this falcon back on the desk the first thing I did to test the SCSI was load up CuBase Audio and max it out playing 6 while recording two 44.1k audio tracks for a good 30 minute run. That seemed to go well...tho' I didn't stress test it with a lot of punch starts and stops...just a steady run.

Next thing I'll try when I get a chance is moving some files around in the internal structure of the Falcon and STing itself. I.E. Run ftpserver and move some files from localhost to localhost. I suppose if that works fine then I'll know it's probably not a local STing or hard drive issue. Guess I can pull the ole eNEC off the STacy and give that a try as well.

Beej

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:30 am

Ok, afew things are different here.

I am using MintNet... my STING configuration was lost when my HDD crash 5 years ago
but my setup and settings are preserved on my webpage :mrgreen:

I am saving it to IDE file... not SCSI HDD even I have my SCSI chain of devices on.
I think saving to IDE will be faster because there is no contention between SCSiLink and SCSi HDD. :wink:

And I do not use the CT2. but you have turn this off...

Beej wrote:It does seem that my SCSI bus resets itself alot when using the dynaport...maybe every 6 to 10 seconds during a transfer;

How do you see this?
Is there some monitoring program for this?

Beej

Postby Beej » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:09 pm

wongck wrote:I am saving it to IDE file... not SCSI HDD even I have my SCSI chain of devices on.
I think saving to IDE will be faster because there is no contention between SCSiLink and SCSi HDD. :wink:

Me too for most purposes. SCSI is just there for CuBase Audio and doing backups.

wongck wrote:
Beej wrote:It does seem that my SCSI bus resets itself alot when using the dynaport...maybe every 6 to 10 seconds during a transfer;

How do you see this?
Is there some monitoring program for this?

I see the lights on the Dynaport. They all three seems to freeze on for a moment, then all go black a moment, then the transfer resumes. If I have my hard drive array on the SCSI chain...they make clicking sounds and their lights flash as well when this occurs. My guess is the scsi driver is forcing the bus to reset due to some kind of error?

Still, even if this is the case...wouldn't sting ask for any dropped packets to be resent?

Beej

Beej

Postby Beej » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:30 am

Slowly tracking down the problem.

Gonna love this.
If I download the files to a true SCSI hard drive...NO CORRUPTION! I also got a boost in transfer speed this way...from 20ish kps before to the high 40s when going all SCSI.

If I take them to IDE using STing, they're always corrupted.

Note on IDE I am using CF media.

I'll follow up here when I better track down what's going on here. Currently moving files around and running some file compare programs to try to track down better what the problem is.

Beej

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:21 am

Beej wrote:I see the lights on the Dynaport. They all three seems to freeze on for a moment, then all go black a moment, then the transfer resumes. If I have my hard drive array on the SCSI chain...they make clicking sounds and their lights flash as well when this occurs. My guess is the scsi driver is forcing the bus to reset due to some kind of error?

I will try to notice this lights flickering.
IIRC, I do not hear my drives clicking.... :roll:

Beej wrote:Still, even if this is the case...wouldn't sting ask for any dropped packets to be resent?

TCP would ask for resent. So the answer would be yes.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:23 am

Beej wrote:Gonna love this.
If I download the files to a true SCSI hard drive...NO CORRUPTION! I also got a boost in transfer speed this way...from 20ish kps before to the high 40s when going all SCSI.

I have dl to both IDE & SCSI before.
Both cases for me seems to work OK.... so no comment on the behaviour.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:09 pm

just did a quick test using commandline FTP on SpareMint.
DL to my ide and scsi hdd.... no difference in time for the same 200KB file.

edit: no corruption as well.
Last edited by wongck on Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:11 pm

Beej wrote:I see the lights on the Dynaport. They all three seems to freeze on for a moment, then all go black a moment, then the transfer resumes. If I have my hard drive array on the SCSI chain...they make clicking sounds and their lights flash as well when this occurs. My guess is the scsi driver is forcing the bus to reset due to some kind of error?

Ok, this does not happen to mine.
The 2 long & medium bar stays green all the time.
The orange light flashes.
i think there is something not correct with your scsi.
I learn from Simbo that scsi power may be an issue if they are not from the same PSU.
Last edited by wongck on Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:14 pm

Is your device a pocket SCSI/Link?
I think the pocket SCSI/Link is a smaller brother of the larger SCSI/LINK.
So it's performance may suffer.

Social Media

Return to “Professionals”