Recasing the Falcon (Case advice required)

Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, Moderator Team

Muphex
Atari freak
Atari freak

Recasing the Falcon (Case advice required)

Postby Muphex » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:57 pm

OK So I am going to recase the Falcon in a tower case keeping the original case should I ever want to recase it (for the purists amongst you). My question for those of you that have done it before is will this be big enough:

http://www.lian-li.com/product/product06.php?pr_index=30&cl_index=1&sc_index=2&ss_index=8&type=a

Looks nice (which is the main thing) and seems reasonabl large for attaching drives etc and future expansion. I think I read somewhere that as long at something is 60 cm tall it should be OK and this seems way over that so job looks a good un, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

unseenmenace
Atari God
Atari God

Postby unseenmenace » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:24 pm

Looks a bit over the top to me but nice all the same. As long as there is a space large enough for the board (approx 48cm) then it should be fine. I am looking at recasing my Falcon in a slimline desktop case or possibly even gutting an old DVD player :)
UNSEEN MENACE
Several STFM's, 4MB STE, 2MB TT with 1.2GB Hard Drive and 14MB Falcon with 540MB Hard Drive,
Lynx 2 and Jaguar with JagCD
Member of GamebaseST and AtariLegend team
Check out my website at http://unseenmenace.110mb.com

Muphex
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Muphex » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:49 pm

Good-o thanks for that.

Don't mind over the top.......the main reason I like that is I got a nice aluminium Atari case badge that will look ace on it.....lol

unseenmenace
Atari God
Atari God

Postby unseenmenace » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:14 am

Muphex wrote:the main reason I like that is I got a nice aluminium Atari case badge that will look ace on it.....lol

Cool, be sure to post a pic when its done :)
UNSEEN MENACE
Several STFM's, 4MB STE, 2MB TT with 1.2GB Hard Drive and 14MB Falcon with 540MB Hard Drive,
Lynx 2 and Jaguar with JagCD
Member of GamebaseST and AtariLegend team
Check out my website at http://unseenmenace.110mb.com

Greenious
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Greenious » Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:38 am

With my first recasing of a falcon, I had trouble with the floppy. The falcon would bomb out or spontaneously reboot whenever I accessed the floppy.

Turned out that I somehow had not grounded the floppy (& thus the mobo) correctly.

Took me forever to figure out.

Just a small tip.

Other than that it wasn't very hard, although I had access to my fathers metal workshop.
Updated my guides as of june 28th, 2016. Check'em out and feedback!
viewtopic.php?t=5040

dan1975

Postby dan1975 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:08 pm

Hi all,

I have just re-cased my falcon in a midi case tower from novatech
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/spec ... ?NOV-CAG5#
cost £45 - is a nice silver g5 mac style.
the mobo goes in side wards. This also comes with a 400watt psu ideal for ct60/63.

You need to drill out the rivets which hold 3.5" chasis for additional drives at the bottom, as the motherboard users this space. Then remove all pci slots at back, this work took me 2 hours but is worth it and looks stunning.

The front panel for cd rom is hidden behind a slim panel bezel cover which matches the colour of the case so no out of place hardware slapped in the 5.25" slot.

The case has a nice blue led light, which lights up at the front i have added a blue fan at the top of the case and also a usb mouse which lights up blue.[/img]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dan1975

Postby dan1975 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:28 pm

here is recased falcon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bullis1
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby bullis1 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:40 pm

Not bad, but you should add a CD-ROM drive. You have the space, and they are useful.

dan1975a
Atarian
Atarian

Postby dan1975a » Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:46 pm

My account was inactive due to changing email addresses for some reason you have to confirm the change of email address from the old account!! no good if it has already been switched off!!

But that's my fault for not getting my act together sooner!

Thanks to bullis1 for comments - just to let you know i do have a cd rom in the build it is hidden behind the top facia.

really impressed with the case though, Once Rodolphe starts selling the ctpci board i will be complete as i can add my pci radeon graphics card.

BTW i got myself another falcon for £75 included was cubase audio with dongle a scsi drive and the FDI and FA8, falcon also came with 14mb and internal hdd. Great price and couldnt resist. :D
4mb STe, 1mb stf, 4mb stacy, racked STE 4mb 8gb flash, cd rom, PeST, clab creator, cubase 3, midex+, freindchip x8 outs, xport, unitor C, unitor. Recased falcon (g4 case)14mb 100mhz ct63 512 mb, ctpci radeon 9250, rtk8139, DVD drive, eiffel, NetUSBEE, 160 gb drive, mint, Xaaes, Jinnee, standard falcon with FDI FA8 Cubase audio Falcon, clab falcon mkx.

Muphex
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Muphex » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:16 pm

You got that one from Gumtree in London didn't you? I saw that and was going to drive down from Nottingham to get it but I e-mailed and he had someone coming that evening to look at it, guess that was you. :)

alexh
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby alexh » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:46 pm

Where was it advertised?

Muphex
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Muphex » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:18 pm

Well the one I saw was on Gumtree.org.

dan1975a
Atarian
Atarian

Postby dan1975a » Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:44 pm

yip was gumtree.org -
4mb STe, 1mb stf, 4mb stacy, racked STE 4mb 8gb flash, cd rom, PeST, clab creator, cubase 3, midex+, freindchip x8 outs, xport, unitor C, unitor. Recased falcon (g4 case)14mb 100mhz ct63 512 mb, ctpci radeon 9250, rtk8139, DVD drive, eiffel, NetUSBEE, 160 gb drive, mint, Xaaes, Jinnee, standard falcon with FDI FA8 Cubase audio Falcon, clab falcon mkx.

el-tel
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby el-tel » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:02 am

Hi dan1975,

I am looking to re-case my STe in a rack mounted box and noticed from your signature that you have a rack mounted STe, do you have any pictures or further details? Did you have to 'shave' the edges of your motherboard to get it to fit?

Also, what did you do to create the motherboard standoffs?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Heavy Stylus
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Heavy Stylus » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:13 am

Hey Elliot,

I think there are a few people on this forum who've recased their atari's. If you want advice you might be best off posting a specific request for help in the hardware section.

Also, and it's just a hunch, but I think MugUK might be able to give you a few pointers on the recasing front. I seem to remember that he has some sort of odd-ball ST recased in a wooden box (although I think he may have aquired that from someone else).

Great to see you and Tam the other day btw.

James.
http://www.rgcd.co.uk
The Essential Discmag for Retro Gamers!

http://www.myspace.com/heavystylus
Usual myspace crap.

http://tinyurl.com/heavystylus
Facebook

bullis1
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby bullis1 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:39 pm

Heavy Stylus wrote:Also, and it's just a hunch, but I think MugUK might be able to give you a few pointers on the recasing front. I seem to remember that he has some sort of odd-ball ST recased in a wooden box (although I think he may have aquired that from someone else).

I thought I saw a photo of him dismantling that hideous mess somewhere?

dan1975a
Atarian
Atarian

Postby dan1975a » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:20 pm

hi el-tel,

The Ste was recased into the lighthouse spacecase which i brought about 5 years ago - was a bit pricey though and the case had to be cut and shaved as it was for falcon, the case did come with plastic risers for the mobo and freekeys which is basically a case which houses the original keyboard.

bought from atari workshop
http://www.atari-workshop.co.uk/products/rack_cases.htm

a cheaper option would be barrie at http://www.keychange.co.uk

i will see if i can upload a pic of mine.

Cheers
dan

Atariator
Atariator

RACK OPTION?

Postby 486 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:28 am

http://www.keychange.co.uk/

"Price from £55"

This what what I opted for with my STe (NOTICE the Notator Dongle poking out the side, ah yes... :wink: )

Still have to get around to doing the job though.. first I need to score a backup STe... anybody?

[/img]
http://www.the486kid.com
-<electrofolk>- CHIP ROCK REVIVAL!

FatRakoon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: Recasing the Falcon (Case advice required)

Postby FatRakoon » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:05 pm

The biggest project I ever did was the MegaST recase in a Desktop AT Case.

To be completely honest it was just straight forward all the way really.... The Board was on the bottom as expected, the 3xCDROM Trays missed the board so that allowed me to have 2 CDROMS and the SyQuest 44MB, a ZIP100 slotted into the Floppy bay and the only 2 hard bits were the HDs ( I had 3 at the time ) and the PSU.

The PSU did go in sideways and this was on the base of the case, and so, I had to re-mount it sideways and higher, I simply cut the whole square section out and turned it 90 degrees and re-welded it back in ( luckily it was a perfect job, which was both a surprise and a bonus ) and the HDs I simply got a sheet of Aluminium and just drilled holes for the mounting screws to go through and mounted the HDs sideways on and had them hanging down.

Oh, and the Cable was a bugger to do too, so I just hacked that one in.

In the end I upped that MegaST into a serious toy... 1.4MB, 16Mhz, TOS2, and the Cart Port was also re-done so the Replay Cart was internal and its connections went to a set of small speakers... All fun.

The thing is, that now, my Falcon is kind of spread out and in serious need of a re-house and Im not actualyl getting off my bum to do it???

What a lazy sod I am.
MSTE @ 16Mhz : 4MB+8MB : Magic & Jinnee
TT030 @ 32Mhz : 10+16MB : Magic & Jinnee
Falcon060 @ 95Mhz : 16+512MB : MiNT & Jinnee
More PCs than PC World has... Probably

saulot
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby saulot » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:02 am

I digged out this topic, recently I've managed to recase my loose Falcon motherboard with CT60 and Supervidel to C-LAB Mk X:
It's straightforward if you have correct tools ;) I considered 2U rack cases too, but I didn't find anything adequate.

LaceySnr
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby LaceySnr » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:44 am

Wow, nice job! Looks great :)

FatRakoon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby FatRakoon » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:15 am

WOW, an Atari email? - I have been completely out of the scene for years.

Aye, thats a great job.
I had a bit of a hiccup 2 years ago, and I have not been able to play with my Ataris since that time.
My STE I was using to build a wooden box for the Falcon but to be honest, its turned into a much bigger ( physically ) than I wanted it to, and therefore its also heavy as heck. I kind of gave up and thats been under the stairs for that time.

The TT mod is finished and I will perhaps try to get pictures. All I have done to that, is sprayed the case black, laquered it and added colours by way of LEDs and LED fans.
It looks sweet as a nut

The Falcon is simply open and I dread turnign it on ebcause it seems that my son had plonked a load of stuff on top of it a while back, when I asked him to look for some PC bits and my mate andy who spotted it, said there was afair bit on top of it... Not looking forward to testing it.

I have a 2U steel case that was for the STE and I may consider using that for the Falcon, but to be honest, its a load of rubbish, and needs to be properly altered to get it to close together better than it does.
MSTE @ 16Mhz : 4MB+8MB : Magic & Jinnee
TT030 @ 32Mhz : 10+16MB : Magic & Jinnee
Falcon060 @ 95Mhz : 16+512MB : MiNT & Jinnee
More PCs than PC World has... Probably

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:19 am

I used to have my Falcon in a huge tower for many years. Mostly because I for some reason wanted to hook up all sorts of stuff to it - at one point I had an IDE drive, an IDE CD-ROM, a SCSI drive, two SCSI DAT streamers and a SCSI ZIP-drive in there... I also had a MIDI synth, a network card, a graphics card and an Afterburner.

Nowadays there is no need for all that stuff. I'm currently fixing up an old cabinet of unknown origin and housed my Falcon in it. The Afterburner and graphics card is still there, but all the drives etc has been replaced with a single 16Gb SD-card.

Falcon040.jpg

This is just a replacement for the keyboard part of the Falcon/ST case. I don't know who manufactured it, but the quality and fit is great. It in a bit of a mess right now though.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:16 pm

Here's mine I a sound pool case. The panel from left to right:

Power switch
USB port (EtherNAT)
Reset button
Unused button
CT60/030 selector (UP = CT60)
LED array for power and drive access
ROM port
Eiffel display

image.jpg
Mega"SST" 12, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:36 pm

Well, I think everyone already knows what mine looks like, but here it is again:

falcon10.jpg

Of course, I'm only going with black until something darker comes along...

:lol:
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520

Social Media

Return to “Professionals”