Falcon IDE Hardware limits

Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, Moderator Team

karlm
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Falcon IDE Hardware limits

Postby karlm » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:55 pm

I just acquired a 20gb ide drive, and was wondering what the max specs are for the falcon's internal ide. Is it limited to 32gb or more likely 140gb or whatever?

Not that I'd know what to do with 20gb of storage, just curious as to what the hardware is capable of.

cheers

karlm.

[ProToS]

Postby [ProToS] » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:22 am

just a limit from the driver

from hd driver web page

Code: Select all

Support for SCSI drives up to 8192 GByte and IDE drives up to 2048 GByte. For SCSI drives with a capacity > 1 GByte Atari ST and STE require an ICD compatible SCSI host adapter, e. g. the LINK97.

2048 GByte :wink:
SeeU
[ProToS]/Facebook

karlm
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby karlm » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:46 am

thanks ProToS. I thought that, but there was one of those niggling things in the back of my head that told me that there was a hardware limit of somewhere in the 140gb range. (137gb?) But then again, these aren't wintel boxes :)

2048gb ... a real 2 terabytes ... I think even with bloated windows soft it would take me a while to fill ... :) (0.7TB on current system....)

cheers

karlm

ppera

Postby ppera » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:06 pm

There is a limit of 128GB by LBA addressing, which is 28 bit. Same is by PC, and therefore is int 13 introduced, where is addressing 48 bit if I remember correct.

Seimet launched support for it in latest HDDRIVER. But it is insane on ST machines.
Actually with FAT 16 you can have max 2GB per partition, and it will work not without some problems. So can use max some 50GB.
Over it you need Mint or something other what supports some newer, 32bit partition format.

By poor ST and Falcon real limit is TOS.

By IDE interface such thing as hardware limit exists not - it is actually just simple address decoder and port. And it has no influence on speed too - it depends only from drive and CPU (or DMA on some solutions by Amiga IDE add-on cards).

[ProToS]

Postby [ProToS] » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:42 pm

this is allready posted but it's a good reminder for the tos limit

Code: Select all

OS-Release              Size
----------------------------------------------------------------
TOS 1.00 - 1.02        256 MByte
TOS 1.04 - 3.xx        512 Mbyte
TOS 4.0x              1024 MByte

MagiC / BigDOS        1024 MByte
                      2048 MByte (Compatible Dos)

MagiC 6.1       FAT32 -> Terrabyte (not MagiC 6.01)

FreeMiNT 1.15 / FAT16  2048 MByte (DOS/TOS comp. Partition)
FreeMiNT      / FAT32  ->  Terrabyte
----------------------------------------------------------------

SeeU
[ProToS]/Facebook

ppera

Bigdos

Postby ppera » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:03 pm

With freeware program Bigdos 2GB (what is max for FAT16) may be usable:

Screenshot from ST with TOS 1.4 :
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

simbo

Postby simbo » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:21 am

it is far better for big drives
to have several tos and several dos partitions { i mean fat and fat 16 }
maybe a problem would be multiple types
but if this could be done easily
using a tos level as a menued reboot to type multiloader,,,
a prep program that does this on pc is needed
then multiple tos and utos versions can be easily choosen
and the whole disk used
as long as the driver can see the physicaly partions info of the disk unit
and its geometary at initial boot
and on no boot a default state gets choosen
intellegent boot is needed
for big disk support over multi tos unitation
Last edited by simbo on Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

ppera

Postby ppera » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:18 pm

I think that attaching disks over couple GB to ST(E) is nothing but grandomania. So, everything can be done with 5-10 FAT16 partitions.
And of course Flash drives. Even Falcon don't need more.

Of course what Simbo suggests is possible, but I doubt that someone will do it.
Maybe is easier to replace CF card (no need to turn off ST).

FatRakoon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby FatRakoon » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:34 am

ProTOS - You posted there that Magic 6.1 can access FAT32?

I use Magic 6.2 and that cannot access partitions over 1GB and yet TOS4 happily accesses up to 2GB?

On that, can anyone tell me why I cannot access over 1GB in Magic?

christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby christos » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:44 am

Probably the way you partitioned the drive. I have no problem accessing a 6gb ext2 partition...
Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas.
My Atari blog

STOT Email address: stot(NoSPAM)atari(DOT)org

FatRakoon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby FatRakoon » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:17 am

No problem accessing a 6GB ext2fs partition...

Not really helping there, but ext2fs is a *nix / MiNT partition... Under Mint, I have no problems, but I am talking about MAGIC & TOS4.

TOS4 is ok up to 2GB, but Magic wont go over 1GB

Under HDDriver8.16, I have tried various compatibility options and NONE will let both TOS4 and Magic access a partition over 1GB.

Im awaiting the arrival of the CT63 and once thats come, I will re-do a MiNT install ( Although I have not managed to get JINNEE to run right instead of thing under MiNT so, I dont know? - I would rather not bother if I cant get Jinnee to run its so much more vastly superior to thing ). And anyway, as I was saying, I want to move to MiNT which will allow me to use 2GB Partitions, but for the time being Im stuck with 1GB.

ppera

Postby ppera » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:21 pm

FatRakoon:

Did you contacted Uwe Seimet?
His drivers can do anything and only they... Until someone discovers problems... :D

I mean, myself saw some bugs with Hddriver, although I use it not regularry.

FatRakoon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby FatRakoon » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:58 pm

No, I have not contacted him no.

Im looking at my systems now, wondering why I could before, but cannot now?

I can see what has happened...

I have been through my "No longer using the Atari" phaze and I am now glad that I am back. The problem I have had recently is that the main HD on the TT has had bad sectors and I have lost a lot of data... The Floppies have also suffered massively too, as they have been stored in my Attic and have had serious temps thrown at them both hot and cold.

I have had to go from a lot of Backed up stuff on CDs and many of my normal apps I have not been abel to install, but rather just copy. Most things this makes no real difference to thankfully, btu some things it does.

Thankfully, my Magic files are ok, I had been using Magic6.0 and NOT 6.2 after all... I have now realised that and have installed 6.10 but the 6.2 fiels are gone... They can be had off the net so thats not a worry at this time, and this could point to me not being able to read 2GB Partitions... Again, I have now accepted teh loss and I am putting the files back on, and I can wait for a while before I get hold of a 68-50 Pin adapter ( or find one of mine ) and I will have another play then, but not too fussed at this time.

My Jinnee disk has gone, but I have the files all backed up so again, Im ok there... Thankfully I have all my books etc and Serial numbers and so on..

Im only having one issue with Kobold in that I have only 2.5 that works as an install and 3.0 only as a backed up set, so at least I got partial luck there... ASH dont want to know or at least Im still waiting for a reply from them anyway.

I have decided to do a fresh install of everything I have, which is somehting that RARELY needs to be done on the Atari as we all know, and it does not actually need it at all, but since Im at a little bit of a loss as to the workings of the Atari, I think its best I do this to get to grips with all its little issues... OLGA / ExtenDOS / Spin etc are all still yet to be done and Im looking forward to that because a lot of things like that really did my head in so it should be great fun.

I might contact Uwe, but only if I have issues... I have not had so far, that cannot be explained and I think its the version of Magic that had the 1GB/2GB issue, but at least thats what Im hoping.

Other than that, its fine.

Social Media

Return to “Professionals”