Frustrating search for an LCD monitor...

Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, Moderator Team

doggyfred
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Frustrating search for an LCD monitor...

Postby doggyfred » Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:32 pm

Today, I decided to reorganise my office a little bit, and in order to save space I thought about purchasing a cheap LCD monitor for my Falcon. I like the old fashioned CRTs much better for normal daily use, but then again I only had practicality in mind.

Anyway,,, I imagined that finding something suitable, probably a 15" shouldn't be a problem: I was wrong.

I started browsing around the sites of electronics detailers in search for an analog model that would support the resolution of the Falcon (320x200 and up). One hour later, I still haven't found anything. The only models around seem to be the 17 and 19 of-the-batch monitors with only a few fixed resolution, and nothing below 640x480. I couldn't even find the exact supported resolutions and sync rates for many models (only in the downloadable manuals from the maker in some cases).

I am really surprised that 320x200 is not supported anymore by modern standard displays. Not that most people would use such a low res, that I understand, but I would have thought that it would have been there for backward compatibility with old PC apps, and that since the electronics have to scale up any res to the native one of the LCD matrix, 320x200 would only have been the matter of doubling 640x400 anyway.

cb
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby cb » Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:07 pm

320x200 works fine on my Acer 17" LCD screen. I had a hard time setting up CentScreen to get a decent 800*600 resolution though.
AL-FGC
Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam!

doggyfred

Postby doggyfred » Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:38 pm

Merci cb,

Is your Acer an older monitor ? Do you have the model reference ?

Cheers,
Doggyfred

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:56 am

Those TFTs with "fixed" resolutions work ok. You are only limited to 60Hz video modes which is annoying for old demos but won't make a problem for any serious stuff. ST-LOW and the like are scaled by the Falcon itself to fit a 640x480 video mode or something really similar.
I use a nice Sony 17" TFT with the PC using the DVI plug and the Falcon the VGA one. Works like a charm - and if I need RGB stuff I can still hokup the Falcon via composite video to my TV card.
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

cb
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby cb » Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:55 am

doggyfred wrote:Merci cb,

Is your Acer an older monitor ? Do you have the model reference ?

Cheers,
Doggyfred

My LCD screen is an Acer AL1714. It's not that old I guess, I bought it about 2 or 3 years ago.
Good luck in your search anyway! :wink:
AL-FGC
Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam!

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: Frustrating search for an LCD monitor...

Postby ijor » Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:58 pm

doggyfred wrote:I am really surprised that 320x200 is not supported anymore by modern standard displays. Not that most people would use such a low res, that I understand, but I would have thought that it would have been there for backward compatibility with old PC apps

The reason that most monitors don't support it anymore is because since long ago graphic cards don't output low rez. Compatibility is still achieved because the graphic card doubles the resolution internally.

christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby christos » Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:05 pm

Just to say that my Samsung tft screen works fine with the falcon. I am using a crt one though due to the 100Hz demos.

doggyfred

Postby doggyfred » Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:19 pm

Well, thanks to you all for your replies, they were very helpful.

Cheers,
Doggyfred

bj
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby bj » Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:34 pm

Thanks for this info guys. - So will a 17" TFT give a good display in standard ST Mono resolution - meaning, is it clear & not blocky in appearance, not stretched? If it does I could use one for both Falcon & ST when I squeeze into my new flat.
regards
BJ

Social Media

Return to “Professionals”