Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, Moderator Team

dhedberg
Atari God
Atari God

2.5" to 3.5" adapter for the (C-Lab) Falcon

Postby dhedberg » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:31 pm

Hi,

I've made a small little SCSI adapter that allows 3.5" SCSI devices (with 50-pin connectors), such as the CosmosEx, to be connected to the internal 40-pin SCSI cable of C-Lab Falcons. It will also work with an Atari Falcon030 computer with the internal SCSI modification done to it.
The C-Lab Falcon came with an internal 2.5" SCSI HDD which had a 40-pin SCSI connector. SCSI devices with these connectors are pretty rare and hard to find today so a conversion to the more common 50-pin connector gives you a lot more freedom. The adapter is plug-and-play, just plug it into the SCSI device and off you go.

I never planned to sell these but as I have a few spare PCBs and with the CosmosEx 3.0 around the corner I figured there may be more people interested.

If you're interested, I can provide any of the following:

A) Soldered plug-and-play terminator, approx. 20 EUR.
B) PCB + parts as a DIY kit, approx. 10 EUR.
C) PCB only, 5 EUR.

Shipping is not included in the prices but will be fairly cheap unless you want insurance/tracking. Depending on the demand I may or may not build more units. The bare PCB I can send immediately.

You may also be interested in the internal SCSI terminator for the Falcon:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=37537

Thanks,
Daniel
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Daniel, New Beat - http://newbeat.atari.org. Like demos? Have a look at our new Falcon030 demo and feel the JOY.

alienkidmj12
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: 2.5" to 3.5" adapter for the (C-Lab) Falcon

Postby alienkidmj12 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:03 pm

good idea, another idea would be to add an additional 50 pin (above the 40 pin ide cable header) header incase you also want to chain onto an internal hd :) not just the cosmos :)

i made a cable for that purpose, but looking for something neater which would accomodate my hd also :)

dave

dhedberg
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dhedberg » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:18 pm

Hmm. A ribbon cable with three contacts are usually how you do it.
Daniel, New Beat - http://newbeat.atari.org. Like demos? Have a look at our new Falcon030 demo and feel the JOY.

alienkidmj12
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby alienkidmj12 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:28 pm

so you have to connect this to a ribbon cable of 50 pins instead of cosmos to do that :) i have just thinking of a thru port...nevermind :)

Ektus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Ektus » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:39 pm

Just for reference: There's also (as seen on https://forum.atari-home.de/index.php/t ... #msg244555) a design for an internal SCSI adapter to directly go to standard 50-pin. They haven't been tested yet, though :-(
They do include a second row of holes to install the internal terminators.

Regards
Ektus.
Schneider CPC464 (long retired), Atari Mega ST4 (retired), Falcon+CT2A, Falcon+CT63+CTPCI+Radeon 9250, Milan040+SCSI+Rage

dhedberg
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dhedberg » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:53 pm

alienkidmj12 wrote:so you have to connect this to a ribbon cable of 50 pins instead of cosmos to do that :) i have just thinking of a thru port...nevermind :)

Ah, another 3.5" device? How much space do you have in your Falcon? ;-)
I thought you meant that you wanted to keep the original 2.5" SCSI HDD of the C-Lab Falcon.
A thru port would mean extra space. This adapter fits right on the back of the CosmosEx and is about the same height (a little bit shorter). A thru port would have made it too tall I'm afraid.

dhedberg
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dhedberg » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:58 pm

Ektus wrote:Just for reference: There's also (as seen on https://forum.atari-home.de/index.php/t ... #msg244555) a design for an internal SCSI adapter to directly go to standard 50-pin. They haven't been tested yet, though :-(
They do include a second row of holes to install the internal terminators.

How does that work? The first and last device should be terminated. Those resistor packs in the link above would have to be de-soldered/removed from the board if you attached an internal SCSI device, as then the termination should be after that device. If they are active with no device connected, they will interfere when you connect a device as they would sit between the SCSI host and the SCSI device.

Ektus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Ektus » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:34 pm

That should work just like the adapter for the 2,5" device. In case only the internal chain is used, the terminators can be placed on the adapter. In case the external port shall remain usable, remove the resistor array and add an external terminator instead. In my experience, SCSI is quite tolerant for short extensions beyond the terminator, so leaving the internal resistors in place and adding a short external chain might work, too.

I'm going to try and test it in one of my falcons to get rid of the external loop to get SCSI back into the tower case. Some day, if I find time and motivation to disassemble the machine and solder in the adapter.
Schneider CPC464 (long retired), Atari Mega ST4 (retired), Falcon+CT2A, Falcon+CT63+CTPCI+Radeon 9250, Milan040+SCSI+Rage

dhedberg
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dhedberg » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:17 pm

This is what I mean:

Original Falcon030: [Terminator on motherboard <-> Host <-> Ext. port <-> (Device with termination)]

C-Lab Falcon with my internal terminator: [Terminator <-> Host <-> Ext. port <-> (Device with termination)]
C-Lab Falcon with an internal device: [Int. device with terminator <-> Host <-> Ext. port <-> (Device with termination)

The Tuxie/Lynxman board without an internal device: [Terminator on board <-> Host <-> Ext. port <-> (Device with termination)]
The Tuxie/Lynxman with an internal device: [Int. device with terminator <-> Terminator on board <-> Host <-> Ext. port <-> (Device with terminator)]

In the last case it seems to me that the termination resistors on the board could become a problem as they sit between the host and the internal device?

Ektus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Ektus » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:25 pm

dhedberg wrote:This is what I mean:

The Tuxie/Lynxman with an internal device: [Int. device with terminator <-> Terminator on board <-> Host <-> Ext. port <-> (Device with terminator)]

In the last case it seems to me that the termination resistors on the board could become a problem as they sit between the host and the internal device?

Yes, this might cause trouble as there would be three terminators involved. Might or might not work. Depends on devices, cable length and quality, ...

Might be solved by using a short external cable without termination at the end, but strictly speaking isn't legal. Therefore, I've got an external terminator on order and will likely omit the ones on the adapter. OTOH, I haven't attached external devices in ages, so might stick with the internal chain anyway.

alienkidmj12
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby alienkidmj12 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:57 pm

I have an internal 2.5" sca 80 pin scsi (with 50 pin adapter) in the standard 2.5 holder. i wanted this and the cosmos, but it seems the cables are a bit messy. need some good solution to allow 2 internal 50 pin devices ;) i do not like it when messy cables spoil the nice looking asthetics of the falcon 030 :)

dhedberg
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dhedberg » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:51 pm

You could achieve this by putting two connectors on the 40-pin cable and then use two of my 40 to 50 pin adapters, one for the CosmosEx and one for the other device. ;-)

MiggyMog
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby MiggyMog » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:39 pm

One of those would be useful as I have the falcon version of cosmosex, how much are you selling them for? (although my bigger problem currently is that falcon keyboard connector is not working since trying to use the IKBD injector)
('< o o o o |''| STM,2xSTFM,2xSTE+HD,C-Lab Falcon MK2+HD,Satandisk,Ultrasatandisk,Ethernat.

MiggyMog
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby MiggyMog » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:39 pm

One of those would be useful as I have the falcon version of cosmosex, how much are you selling them for? (although my bigger problem currently is that falcon keyboard connector is not working since trying to use the IKBD injector :? )
('< o o o o |''| STM,2xSTFM,2xSTE+HD,C-Lab Falcon MK2+HD,Satandisk,Ultrasatandisk,Ethernat.

dhedberg
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dhedberg » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:07 pm

MiggyMog wrote:One of those would be useful as I have the falcon version of cosmosex, how much are you selling them for? (although my bigger problem currently is that falcon keyboard connector is not working since trying to use the IKBD injector :? )

PM sent. Do you want the internal terminator as well? More information here: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=37537

dhedberg
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dhedberg » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:49 pm

Still have a few left of these if anyone's interested.

Social Media

Return to “Professionals”