REminiscence flashback for falcon

All about games on the Falcon, TT & clones

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, Moderator Team

diamondspringwater
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

REminiscence flashback for falcon

Postby diamondspringwater » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:12 am

Had anyone tried the REminiscence flashback engine on a stock falcon?

jury
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: REminiscence flashback for falcon

Postby jury » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:03 am

Yes, its about 1 frame every few seconds.

diamondspringwater

Postby diamondspringwater » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:39 pm

So what you are saying is I should not buy a copy of flashback just to play it on my falcon.

jury
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby jury » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:04 pm

http://www.atariforge.org/gf/project/reminiscence/

Quote from above link:

Requirements

Atari Falcon030 with some sort of accelerator (CT60 or CT63 is recommended), some RAM. Standard falcons are still too slow for SDL. VGA or RGB monitor, working keyboard / joystick or jagpad plugged into port A or B .
This version works only under TOS / MiNT (MagicOS untested). It doesn't work under Aranym, so don't even try it ;-).

SDL ports require some kind of monstered Falcons, so yes, do not buy a copy of Flashback before buying CT6x :)
Well, maybe some lower-power accelerators would handle this port ( like Afterburner 040 [ there is a good chance it will play acceptable ] or CT2 [ I doubt this will be enough for Reminiscence ] ) but I do not have any of them, so never tried it on anything other than CT63. And it plays great under this monster.

Edit:
Will try to remember to try this game again on stock Falcon this weekend, so I will count how many seconds pass between frames ;)

diamondspringwater

Postby diamondspringwater » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:35 pm

I do have a ct2 I could try but I haven't got anything to work on that yet, everything seems to freeze up in the loading process.

jury
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby jury » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:34 am

Yes, try it on CT2, maybe it will be enough to handle this port. But if it goes for me, I'm not able to help with this accelerator.

jury
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby jury » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:47 pm

jury wrote:Edit:
Will try to remember to try this game again on stock Falcon this weekend, so I will count how many seconds pass between frames ;)

Its not that bad as I remembered, but even thou, this game is unplayable on stock Falcon.
I have turned off CT63 and the intro was playing at speed 1 frame every 2 to 4 seconds, but the game was a little faster, about 2 frames per second. Sound of course sounds bad :) its choking and buzzes. So definitely forget about this game on stock machine.

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:12 pm

jury wrote:Well, maybe some lower-power accelerators would handle this port ( like Afterburner 040 [ there is a good chance it will play acceptable

If someone has a complete setup of this I could test it on my Afterburner. The last "CT60-only"-production I tested on it was the port of Mac-Worms, and it runs very nicely on the Afterburner.
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:06 pm

My guess would be that the biggest bottle neck is actually the sound. The intro is clear, a lot of redraws, what is not very stock Falcon friendly (chunky to planar...). But the game itself, it it doesn't redraw the whole screen each frame, should be pretty easy to get running on stock Falcon.

EDIT: Ha, I was right. Quick look into the source has revealed that it does use delta copying. So spending an afternoon on video.cpp, graphics.cpp and systemstub.cpp would most likely make it run on stock Falcon (without sound).

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:26 pm

Just tested it on the Afterburner. I really don't have anything to compare it with (no PSU in my CT60 Falcon currently) so I can't say for sure, but the intro sequence looks a bit slow to me. The game itself looks fine though. Sound works, animation is smooth and response is quick. I'd definitely say that this game is playable on the Afterburner.
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby leech » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:26 pm

Kind of silly that a game that ran on the stock A500 gets 'revised' with SDL which makes it too heavy to run on a Falcon.

Granted most of the time I see the geniuses here reverse engineer the software and port, rather than creating a modernized version of it. Apparently modernization of old software also makes it take a crap load more resources :P

I'll have to give this one a try, though oddly I just barely bought the remake of Flashback. Loved this game on the Amiga and Jaguar.
Atari 8Bits: 800xl, 600xl, XEGS, 800, 130xe, 130xe (fully upgraded (soon!))
Atari STs: 1040STf (broken shifter), 1040STe, Mega STe, TT030, Falcon (CT60e, SuperVidel)

saulot
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby saulot » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:02 pm

I didn't spent on this port too much time. There were some updates to the engine, so maybe I will update it at some point. Definitely mod replay on dsp could help, but sound mixer had to be reworked. I don't know how much work it would be.
mikro: patches are welcome. ;)

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:26 pm

Btw is this port supposed to run on Ataris in general, or just Falcons? I just tried it on my Milan but it exited immediately with an error message saying it can't open sound device. I have MilanBlaster XBIOS installed.
Jo Even

saulot
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby saulot » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:32 pm

Well, probably you're first who tried it on Milan. I don't have one, no one reported anything since several years. It was tested on ct60/f030 only. Probably there is an issue with SDL and with little additional work game could work. Maybe SDL update could help or setting SDL environment variable related to SDL sound driver.

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:19 pm

joska wrote:Btw is this port supposed to run on Ataris in general, or just Falcons? I just tried it on my Milan but it exited immediately with an error message saying it can't open sound device. I have MilanBlaster XBIOS installed.

joska: can you play audio in mxPlay on your Milan? It uses XBIOS only. If so, it should work with SDL as well, if not, you can try different SDL_AUDIODRIVER values

Code: Select all

Audio   O/S     Misc
dma8    All     Uses MFP Timer A interrupt
xbios   TOS     Uses MFP Timer A interrupt
xbios   MiNT    Uses MFP Timer A interrupt
xbios   Magic   Uses MFP Timer A interrupt
stfa    All     Uses MFP interrupt
mcsn    TOS     Uses MFP Timer A interrupt
mcsn    MiNT    Uses MiNT thread
mcsn    Magic   Disabled
gsxb    All     Uses GSXB callback

Code: Select all

SDL_AUDIODRIVER:
   Set to 'mint_gsxb' to force Atari GSXB audio driver
   Set to 'mint_mcsn' to force Atari MCSN audio driver
   Set to 'mint_stfa' to force Atari STFA audio driver
   Set to 'mint_xbios' to force Atari Xbios audio driver
   Set to 'mint_dma8' to force Atari 8 bits DMA audio driver
   Set to 'audio' to force Sun /dev/audio audio driver
   Set to 'disk' to force disk-writing audio driver

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:45 pm

mikro wrote:can you play audio in mxPlay on your Milan? It uses XBIOS only.

mxPlay exits silently when I try to play a file. I have only tested the xmp plugin.

mikro wrote:If so, it should work with SDL as well, if not, you can try different SDL_AUDIODRIVER values

Same result with all of the relevant values I'm afraid.

MilanBlaster is IIRC slightly different from both Falcon XBIOS and GSXB. I believe GSXB attempts to support/implement MilanBlaster features, but maybe not close enough?

I do have a PCI SoundBlaster and a working GSXB setup for it, but it's not installed ATM.
Jo Even

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:20 pm

joska wrote:mxPlay exits silently when I try to play a file. I have only tested the xmp plugin.

Yes, the XMP is a good choice. But whaaat... how can mxPlay work on the FireBee and not on Milan?!

If you have some time / motivation, drop me a PM and we can try to debug this issue, it saddens me a lot to realise this fact after such a long time!

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:24 pm

mikro wrote:But whaaat... how can mxPlay work on the FireBee and not on Milan?!

Probably because FireTOS XBIOS is based on GSXB, while MilanBlaster XBIOS is not.

mikro wrote:If you have some time / motivation, drop me a PM and we can try to debug this issue, it saddens me a lot to realise this fact after such a long time!

You have my email address, send me a mail whenever you want me to test something :)
Jo Even

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:41 pm

joska wrote:MilanBlaster is IIRC slightly different from both Falcon XBIOS and GSXB. I believe GSXB attempts to support/implement MilanBlaster features, but maybe not close enough?

What a mess. So if I understand that correctly, we have:

So I'm wondering if all those suckers support the very same XBIOS calls how that can crash (or whatever happened there) just on MilanBlaster, there's no magic involved, just init & Buffptr() in a loop. I'll read something about MilanBlaster and will drop you a mail.

Also, mxPlay works on Aranym+MagicMac Sound Driver.

Social Media

Return to “Games”