Best or favourite Falcon Demo's

All about demos on the Falcon, TT & clones

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, Moderator Team

cb
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Best or favourite Falcon Demo's

Postby cb » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:09 pm

Atari030 wrote:Afternoon Gents, I've been catching up with a ton of STE demos',filling the MegaSTE up and decided to have a gander at Falcon demos for my birds. I was quite surprised at the small number of recent posts on the subject. I have 2 Falc's I'd like to see work, #1 is CT2 with 14/128MB ram and 68882 and the #2 is stock TOS 4.01, 68882 and 14MB ram. I'm interested in TT030 demos too. TOS 3.06, 2/4MB Ram to play on.

So what is everyone's standout for 030 based Falcons? What have I been missing out on?

Ekosystem by EKO is my fave.
Funky music... 8)
Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam!

CiH
Atari God
Atari God

Postby CiH » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:34 pm

Has anything been written specifically to take advantage of the CT2?

Well there's 'Don't Break the Oath' as stated previously (The high res version).

Going back to 2000, there's the 'Hardcore' demo by Mind Design. It was made specifically as a CT2 demo, but does run on a lower spec machine. Still needs 14MB RAM. It is very unfinished and if you're using an LCD screen, it might not play nicely with it. (Made for VGA only.)

'Alive' by Fun Industries makes use of TT RAM and faster CPU if present.

'Wait' by T.O.Y.S also benefits from faster CPU etc.

'Beams' by tSCc is intended to run on minimum spec Falcy and makes a big thing of doing so, but likes anything extra by way of CPU power that comes its way.

For something a bit 'out of the box', why not try the 4Ktro's 'Episode 666' and 'Acidic Tears' from the Dead Hackers Society. These are both written from the CT60, but run decently on a CT2 as well.
"Where teh feck is teh Hash key on this Mac?!"

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:43 pm

My favorite "demos" are freely available games and applications.

For Falcon, best ones are IMHO Douglas' Quake I/II and Doom I/II (BadMood) re-implementations, mentioned elsewhere in the forum.

Other good ones are "Chorensha" (has huge amount of sprites) and Laurent's "Beats of Rage" (huge sprites). They're also mentioned elsewhere in the forum.

Of the applications, I would pick New Beat's Ace Tracker & Ace Midi (demo):
http://newbeat.atari.org/main.php?page=productions

(I also like their 4K "Blue" and "Flu" Falcon demos.)

As to TT, my vote would go to GEM NetHack by Warwick Allison. It was the first real GUI version of NetHack (v3.1) on any platform. Latest NetHack release downloads include Atari version. While GEM NetHack doesn't require TT, TT-med is my preferred resolution for running it. The GUI isn't very usable in smaller resolutions and while it works in ST-high, I like some color. :-)

PS. Other connection between NetHack and Atari is Eric Smith, the author of MiNT who was also a NetHack DevTeam member.

Atari030
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Atari030 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:21 pm

Don't break the oath is pretty impressive. I liked that. My eyelids gave way and I got sidetracked playing with an ICD link, I've downloaded a bucket full mentioned here, it'll take me a week to get through them all. Cheers everyone.

calimero
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby calimero » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:31 pm

Eero Tamminen wrote:For Falcon, best ones are IMHO Douglas' Quake I/II and Doom I/II (BadMood) re-implementations, mentioned elsewhere in the forum.

Other good ones are "Chorensha" (has huge amount of sprites) and Laurent's "Beats of Rage" (huge sprites). They're also mentioned elsewhere in the forum.

Of the applications, I would pick New Beat's Ace Tracker & Ace Midi

of course, I totally agree with you: these newest code on Falcon (including Thadoss) are most impressive and unbelievable code that runs truly amazing things on stock Falcon!
using Atari since 1986.http://wet.atari.orghttp://milan.kovac.cc/atari/software/ ・ Atari Falcon030/CT63/SV ・ Atari STe ・ Atari Mega4/MegaFile30/SM124 ・ Amiga 1200/PPC ・ Amiga 500 ・ C64 ・ ZX Spectrum ・ RPi ・ MagiC! ・ MiNT 1.18 ・ OS X

Atari030
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Atari030 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:11 am

Willies adventures is one I have been waiting for, for a very long time. Beautiful graphics and smooth. I'd love to see that finished.

Social Media

Return to “Demos”