All about modules/digital tunes in a variety of tracker & sampled formats

Moderators: Mug UK, lotek_style, Moderator Team

Sturm
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Questions about trackers

Postby Sturm » Fri May 12, 2017 10:49 pm

Hi all,

i'd really like to learn how to use trackers, I use Cubase PC quite often, but would like to get that "old school" feeling with a tracker on my Falcon.
I tried Maxymiser, and Ace 2.

Both seem interesting, but Maxymiser looks less attractive, especially the UI.

I like Ace 2 so far, but I tried to use my midi keyboard (Arturia Keystep) with it with no success (i prefer using a real keyboard). I then downloaded Ace midi demo, and my keyboard works, but it's not a tracker, rather a synth vst (a good one it seems).

Am I doing something wrong ? Does the registered version of Ace Midi has patterns? Or can you just generate and save sounds with it ?

Is Ace 2 supposed to work with midi keyboards ?

Thank you

Atari74user
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Questions about trackers

Postby Atari74user » Sat May 13, 2017 10:52 am

Hi

Well you are correct, as you allude Ace Tracker and Ace MIDI do exactly as they say, it is Ace MIDI that has the MIDI capabilities only as I imagine you know spec'd here:

http://newbeat.atari.org/main.php?page=ace_specifications

So as you say, Ace Tracker is the Tracker, and Ace MIDI is the soft synth, turning your Falcon into a synthesiser to be controlled over MIDI.
Atari Falcon 14mb, 68882, Dual 8gb CF & Steinberg FDI
Atari Jaguar, Rotary controller, Skunkboard & Cat Box
Atari 520STFM 4mb, TOS 2.06 switcher, OverScan, GigaFile, PARCP-USB, Unicorn-USB, System Solutions MiniS HD, SyQuest drives, ICD Link II, PhatBoy MIDI Controller, Philip Rees 5M MIDI merge box, Soundpool M04, Steinberg MIDEX, SMP II, Emagic Log 3, C-Lab Unitor 2, Combiner & Export expanders

Sturm
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Sturm » Sat May 13, 2017 11:21 am

but the description misled me :

Tracker version
256 positions and 256 patterns.
Dynamic pattern size, from 1 track with 1 line to 16 tracks with 64 lines.

MIDI input.
4 pattern columns: note, sound, effect, and volume or filter.

Midi input ? how to activate it ?

Atari74user
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Atari74user » Sun May 14, 2017 9:04 am

I do see your point, and I can't say I have tried, and cannot at the moment as I have just moved house.

It doesn't say anything specific in the manual, but I have always been under the impression that there were no MIDI capabilities within Ace Tracker, but neglected to see what you have noted in the spec's.

As I cannot check, forum member Dhedberg may be able to help, he is Daniel Hedberg from New Beat.
Last edited by Atari74user on Sun May 14, 2017 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Atari Falcon 14mb, 68882, Dual 8gb CF & Steinberg FDI
Atari Jaguar, Rotary controller, Skunkboard & Cat Box
Atari 520STFM 4mb, TOS 2.06 switcher, OverScan, GigaFile, PARCP-USB, Unicorn-USB, System Solutions MiniS HD, SyQuest drives, ICD Link II, PhatBoy MIDI Controller, Philip Rees 5M MIDI merge box, Soundpool M04, Steinberg MIDEX, SMP II, Emagic Log 3, C-Lab Unitor 2, Combiner & Export expanders

Sturm
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Sturm » Sun May 14, 2017 10:06 am

Yup i checked the manual too, and nothing about midi. This would be a really cool feature to add, even for a small fee.

Social Media

Return to “The Digital Department”