Real time synth for the ST?

All about chiptunes

Moderators: Mug UK, lotek_style, Moderator Team

spectrum
Atari User
Atari User

Real time synth for the ST?

Postby spectrum » Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:47 pm

I'm looking for a program that would turn the Atari ST into a synth that would be playable in realtime using a midi keyboard. Are such things available?

I've understood the Maxymizer offers some real time possibilties, but still it seems to be designed mainly as a basic chiptracker. I'd be looking for something relatively easy to use, but still offering full control over the YM chip. I've extensively searched the net for information, but no luck yet... :(

Thanks for any input!

Marcer
Atarilegend
Atarilegend

Postby Marcer » Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:13 pm

You should take a better look at Maxymiser..

The best YM Chip relative software at this moment.

There is not other program where you can control the ym chip better. in a music way. You do have a good Sound editor in Music Mon21.. but you wont be able to edit the sound by your synth..

if that is what you meant?

// Marcer
- Atari ST/FM/E - Mega sTe - Portfolio - Falcon 030 FX 3 in 1 -- Atari 7800/Lynx/Jaguar -
- FTP... Ask for info
- Atari Legend (Games all-a-round)
- Paradize (Chip Music)
- Elite (Atari Softs)
- The Legion (Demos)
- Alive Maggie Team
_/|\_YM-RockerZ_/|\_

spectrum
Atari User
Atari User

Postby spectrum » Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:45 pm

Ok, maybe I'll give it a shot. I just got a little scared by the screen shots I've seen of the Maxymiser, just a bunch of number fields, but maybe it's easier than it looks. Anyway, if it's a good sound editor, it's worth the effort.

Thanks for your input.

spectrum
Atari User
Atari User

Postby spectrum » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:30 pm

Now I actually found something that corresponds exactly to what I was looking for; the Sound Chip Synth.

http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/electronic_cow/scs.htm

It seems to be pretty basic though, so I think I'll check it out in parallel with the maxYMiser as soon as I get the ST up and running.

gwEm
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby gwEm » Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:59 am

if you are scared please check the official maxYMiser website http://www.preromanbritain.com/maxymiser here you get tutorials and instrument patches.

many people write to me that they use maxYMiser as a midi sound module, and probably i'll expand into this area further.

at the moment maxYMiser supports 5 user definable monophonic channels, patch change, support for midi drum pads, and autoloading for usage without screen.

spectrum
Atari User
Atari User

Postby spectrum » Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:14 am

After reading the tutorial it makes more sense now, I'm actually getting really eager to try it out. It really seems to be very flexible, and offering very good control over the YM chip. I'm not scared anymore! 8)

Social Media

Return to “Ym rockin'”