Question(s) about MaxYMiser

All about chiptunes

Moderators: Mug UK, lotek_style, Moderator Team

YQN
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Re: Question(s) about MaxYMiser

Postby YQN » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:50 pm

farvardin wrote:I don't know how to select a block (the manual says nothing about that) => ok I've just found it in the online help, it's ALT+arrows.

You can transpose a block or a track. Just hit alt or shift or control + F7 or F8. But what is important is it ONLY works for the SELECTED instrument. If you select a part made with instrument 1, if you're on instrument 2 row it will never transpose.

Thanks! I guess I was trying to transpose a track that didn't feature the selected instrument...

farvardin
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby farvardin » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:22 pm

mais de rien... :)

Btw I see the soundcloud link in your signature is not correct, it should be styqn not just yqn

YQN
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby YQN » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:31 pm

farvardin wrote:mais de rien... :)

Btw I see the soundcloud link in your signature is not correct, it should be styqn not just yqn

Corrected! Thanks!

Edit: Enfin merci quoi :)

dma
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby dma » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:37 am

Yes in-program (aka "online") help is very important to know all the numerous keys functions and shortcuts, as stated in the manual (section 8.3). ;)

You can transpose for all instruments,
either in the "All" part of the transpose menu (under the "Current" part),
either by keyboard using F1/F2 + modifiers (see page 8/8 of "Keys" in-program help).

Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby 607 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:29 pm

Hey, you can use DigiDrums on the first three channels as well, right? There's an FX command for it, and you can also specify a sample to use for an instrument. However, I can't get the samples to sound. Does anyone know how to do this? :)

Postby 607 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:22 pm

I figured it out! You need to create an instrument that's got 000D for the mix. (D standing for DigiDrum)

Postby 607 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:34 pm

Has anyone figured out the exact frequency multiplier to get a sample into MaxYMiser with the right frequency? I thought the needed frequency would be (originalsamplerate * (originalsamplerate / 19200)), but that delivers a sample about one and a half semitone too low. I've asked gwEm, but it appears he doesn't know himself.
I'm afraid I'm the one who's got most experience with MaxYMiser, but maybe there's someone here on the forum who knows something I do not!

dma
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby dma » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:18 pm

I think it depends on the kind of replay method you intend to have with the sample, either ST YM digi or STe DMA.
But i guess you're talking about STe replay, as for digidrums you can set the sample frequency in the instrument editor.

For STe replay the manual states (in section "(6.5) Sample number") : Samples are played back with middle C corresponding to 8287Hz.
I think this for the "melodic DMA samples" mode ("1ch" or "2ch" DMA mode in the options).

For fixed STe rate replay ("nat" DMA mode in the options), the frequency to use should probably a native one, like those listed in the first message here : viewtopic.php?t=32842

[EDIT] Mhh, after rereading your question i think it wasn't the question you were asking...
And you're probably actually even asking about the ST YM replay instrument frequency setting "Rate", which doesn't seem an actual sample frequency value setting.
Never used ST YM digi myself, sorry.

Postby 607 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:16 pm

dma wrote:I think it depends on the kind of replay method you intend to have with the sample, either ST YM digi or STe DMA.
But i guess you're talking about STe replay, as for digidrums you can set the sample frequency in the instrument editor.

For STe replay the manual states (in section "(6.5) Sample number") : Samples are played back with middle C corresponding to 8287Hz.
I think this for the "melodic DMA samples" mode ("1ch" or "2ch" DMA mode in the options).

For fixed STe rate replay ("nat" DMA mode in the options), the frequency to use should probably a native one, like those listed in the first message here : http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=32842

[EDIT] Mhh, after rereading your question i think it wasn't the question you were asking...
And you're probably actually even asking about the ST YM replay instrument frequency setting "Rate", which doesn't seem an actual sample frequency value setting.
Never used ST YM digi myself, sorry.

Thanks!
I don't understand anything about that topic, but I also don't think it's relevant, as I've never used the "nat" mode and don't think I'll ever have to. Unless that's actually the solution to my problem, but I don't understand. I very much doubt it, though.
I'm also not interested in the ST YM replay instrument frequency setting "Rate", at the moment.
To clarify, what I'm looking for is the value to put here.

Atari74user
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Atari74user » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:39 pm

DMA should be right regarding 8287Hz.

However to add, the STE DMA is of course 8-bit. You are using Audacity, that doesn't support 8-bit samples. What is your sample bit rate, that is likely your issue, you probably require your samples to be 8-bit at 8287Hz. So if you are using Audacity, you will have to force them to that bit and sample rate.

On a Mac or PC, you could do this by:

Open up your samples in Apple QuickTime Movie Player.

Select Export... from the File menu in QuickTime Player. Under the Export dropdown menu, select sound to wave. Click on the Options... button. Set the dialog box to the following settings:

Format: PCM; Channels: Mono; Rate: 8.287 KHz; Quality: Best; Sample Size: 8 bits.

Kind regards
Atari Falcon 14mb, 68882, Dual 8gb CF, Steinberg FDI & Analog 8
Atari Jaguar, Rotary controller, Skunkboard & Cat Box
Atari 520STFM 4mb, TOS 2.06 switcher, OverScan, GigaFile, PARCP-USB, Unicorn-USB, System Solutions MiniS HD, SyQuest drives, ICD Link II, PhatBoy MIDI Controller, Philip Rees 5M MIDI merge box, SoundPool MO4, Steinberg MIDEX, SMP II, Emagic Log 3, C-Lab Unitor 2, Combiner & Export expanders

dma
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby dma » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:37 pm

I recommend sox for audio samples conversion.
I use this command line (on Windows) with it for my maxYMiser sample work aimed at melodic composition on the DMA channels:

Code: Select all

sox "%1" -b 8 -c 1 -e signed-integer "%~n1.raw" rate -v 8287

Just write it in a .bat file, put that file in the directory where sox.exe is and run it on the sample file you want to convert.

Cyprian
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Cyprian » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:24 pm

Atari74user wrote:You are using Audacity, that doesn't support 8-bit samples

Audacity allows to export RAW 8-bit signed stereo or mono samples
Jaugar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
SDrive / PAK68/3 / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
Hatari / Steem SSE / Aranym / Saint
http://260ste.appspot.com/

Atari74user
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Atari74user » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:39 am

Audacity allows to export RAW 8-bit signed stereo or mono samples

My bad, even better should that be the issue.
:cheers:
Atari Falcon 14mb, 68882, Dual 8gb CF, Steinberg FDI & Analog 8
Atari Jaguar, Rotary controller, Skunkboard & Cat Box
Atari 520STFM 4mb, TOS 2.06 switcher, OverScan, GigaFile, PARCP-USB, Unicorn-USB, System Solutions MiniS HD, SyQuest drives, ICD Link II, PhatBoy MIDI Controller, Philip Rees 5M MIDI merge box, SoundPool MO4, Steinberg MIDEX, SMP II, Emagic Log 3, C-Lab Unitor 2, Combiner & Export expanders

Social Media

Return to “Ym rockin'”