Silly question (answered myself - maxYMiser 'all channels')

All about chiptunes

Moderators: Mug UK, lotek_style, Moderator Team

Silly question (answered myself - maxYMiser 'all channels')

Postby AB Positive » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:30 pm

I'm working with maxYMiser, learning the ins and outs but the manual doesn't seem to answer one thing - when I enter in notes in the YM channels, it does all 3 channels. How do you get it to do just one channel? I tried removing the channels under the 'normal' menu but that just mutes it.

This is the last hurdle I've come across - and at the same time a search here turned up no answers either. Am I dumb or just stupid? :)

EDIT: Found the answer myself on the atari tracking forum. If anyone else has this issue...

it's because in the song editor (the top left corner in 'normal mode') you have all three channels set to 00 (the default). that means everytime you push [space] and put some notes in, each channel (because they're all set to pattern 00) is the same. so put something like:

1 2 3 <----[channels]

01 02 03 | 1 <---[steps]
-- -- -- | 3 etc.

in there and now on each of the three channels has it's own pattern (ie 01, 02 and 03).

so in that pattern editor an actual song might look like this (just to give a tangible example):

1 2 3 <----[channels]

01 02 03 | 1 <--------[steps]
01 02 03 | 2
04 05 06 | 3
01 07 08 | 4 etc.

so in step 1 the song has pattern 01 playing on channel 1, pattern 02 playing on channel 2 and pattern 03 playing on channel 3. step 2 is the same. step 3 has pattern 04 playing on channel 1, pattern 05 playing on channel 2 and pattern 05 playing on channel 3.
AB Positive
Atarian
Atarian

Re: Silly question (answered myself - maxYMiser 'all channel

Postby MiggyMog » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:59 pm

Did you download XiA AKA Per Almered's other tutorial?
('< o o o o |''| STM,2xSTFM,2xSTE+HD,C-Lab Falcon MK2+HD,Satandisk,Ultrasatandisk,Ethernat.
MiggyMog
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: Silly question (answered myself - maxYMiser 'all channel

Postby AB Positive » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:42 pm

MiggyMog wrote:Did you download XiA AKA Per Almered's other tutorial?

Yep - although this little bit wasn't included in there, or at least not in the one I have (the PDF currently linked on the maxYMiser site)

Now I just have to work out exactly how to load multiple instruments into one channel correctly and I'm good to go. :D
XiA's tutorial is dead on correct with the "You'll use the 'n' shortcut (set to next unused pattern) a LOT". I'm already hitting it without thinking when I need to and I've only used the program for a few days! :)
AB Positive
Atarian
Atarian

Return to Ym rockin'