fighter bomber

Requests for manuals and detailed information on playing games

Moderators: Mug UK, Doctor Bob Gordon, Moderator Team

fighter bomber

Postby chesterb » Fri Jul 19, 2002 9:35 pm

Please help? How do you start Fighter/bomber? I remember that it was a strange key combination. But what? Thanks in advance
chesterb

Postby Doctor Bob Gordon » Sat Jul 20, 2002 2:42 am

You will find instructions for this game in Sewer Doc Disk 14...
dBG
Doctor Bob Gordon

Fiighter Bomber

Postby chesterb » Sat Jul 20, 2002 4:31 pm

Thanks but I had already tried that. It assumes that you are in the game but I can't get past the plane with the 2 crew polishing it & the credits being shown in the corner
chesterb

Postby Doctor Bob Gordon » Sun Jul 21, 2002 9:42 pm

Sorry :(
dBG
Doctor Bob Gordon

Re: fighter bomber

Postby SmogMonster » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:56 pm

Fighter Bomber

I know it's an ancient query, but if anyone is still wondering, pressing SPACE is supposed to take you from the credits screen to the Choose a Pilot menu - only it doesn't work on a 1Meg ST.

If the ST has exactly 1Meg of RAM, it loads some hideous guitar music to accompany the credits, and this seems to mess up the keyboard input so that pressing SPACE doesn't do anything.
To play this otherwise fine game in the Steem emulator, just set the RAM size to anything other than 1Meg. Bigger or smaller makes no difference. On an actual 1Meg ST you would need a way to resize system memory before the game runs, but I can't remember how you do that - probably there is a system variable that can be poked.

I remember many years ago it stopped working on my STFM (now stored in the attic) and I never found out why. It's the RAM upgrade, stoopid!
SmogMonster
Atarian
Atarian

Postby StickHead » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:20 pm

I'm pretty sure this game used to work on my 1 Meg STFM. I had the Pompey Pirates crack (don't remember which number) so maybe they fixed the problem?
The Joy of STicks - YouTube - Blog - Twitter - Facebook
New Developments and old inspirations in Atari ST gaming.
StickHead
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Grunaki » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:32 pm

StickHead wrote:I'm pretty sure this game used to work on my 1 Meg STFM. I had the Pompey Pirates crack (don't remember which number) so maybe they fixed the problem?

Pompey Pirates #22.
Thermopylae is now an Enemy Island!
Grunaki
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby SmogMonster » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:03 pm

StickHead

You could be right. I get the above results with the .st image of Pompey Pirates #22 in Steem 3.2 using UK TOS1.02 in each case.
It's always possible the Pompey code (or even the emulator) has some effect on what happens, and for all I know Mastertronic may have fixed it for 1Meg. I still have the original disks, so if they're still readable I might get around to testing it on the STFM. The machine started out with 512K, but I'm no longer certain what it was upgraded to. At the time I thought the problem was to do with mouse/joystick combination. Possibly the joystick fire button should also advance the menu, but this is just vague recollection.
I discovered Steem (and the availability on the web of all the old ST favourites) only a couple of weeks ago, and before realising you could fix Fighter Bomber by changing the RAM size, I was busily disassembling the Pompey loader (with Steem debug build), up to where it loads (and presumably decompresses) the Mastertronic code. Further delving in that direction might clear up exactly what the problem is, but I'm not promising to do it.
SmogMonster
Atarian
Atarian

Postby SmogMonster » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:40 pm

By 'Mastertronic' I mean of course Activision. Doh!
SmogMonster
Atarian
Atarian

Return to Doc Disks, Manuals & Instructions