PLATOTERM - solving the screen redraw problem, need input.

GFA, ASM, STOS, ...

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

tschak909
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Re: PLATOTERM - solving the screen redraw problem, need input.

Postby tschak909 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:11 pm

then can I at least tell when I am running under MiNT so that I can work around it? the way I have it now, works for a huge swath of hardware tested so far, and I will not give that up just to tell people to go run an additional driver?

to the point, if somebody wants to run HSMOD06, I won't stop them, but requiring them to do so is absolutely ridiculous.

and even further to the point, (trying to avoid the inevitable pedantism that is to follow) I don't want to hear the argument, because it's pointless. I just want a direct answer to the question. I have software to write, for over two dozen platforms, and I am trying to get something that runs well on the widest array of systems....

...thus far I think I've accomplished that.

-Thom

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:27 pm

tschak909 wrote:then can I at least tell when I am running under MiNT so that I can work around it?

If MiNT is running there will be a cookie 'MiNT' present. Do not mess with the IOREC under MiNT, MiNT has it's own, proper serial drivers.

tschak909 wrote:to the point, if somebody wants to run HSMOD06, I won't stop them, but requiring them to do so is absolutely ridiculous.

There is a reason why these drivers exist, and also why 99.9% of users that use the serial port under plain TOS has them installed. Expect poor performance and possible dataloss without them.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

tschak909

Postby tschak909 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:32 pm

ok, how am I supposed to check for the presence of the MiNT cookie? is there some example code I can peruse?

It's worth noting, right now, that an 8MHz 520ST can use PLATOTERM quite well at 9600 baud. This is my lowest-end target.

-Thom

christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby christos » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:52 pm

Yes, TOS routines for the serial port are terrible. You've done something right if you got it to work at even 9600 bauds but it is very likely it will fail in another machine without HSMODEM.
As for the cookie jar, take a look at the Atari compendium documentation.

http://www.yardley.cc/atari/compendium/ ... 3-BIOS.htm

mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby mikro » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:59 pm

Thomas,

I totally get your goal of supporting as wide array of setups as possible but please, for your own good, do listen to people who are far more experienced. If somebody tells you to use this or that it isn't because it's their favourite software or to make a fool of you but because it is really a good advice. Running an additional TSR (resident prg) isn't anything uncommon in Atari world, we are all used to that (I bet Amiga guys with all their patches and libraries would have a good laugh here, too).

The way you're approaching the ST development will inevitable end up with either a half-cooked app with bad performance or, what is even worse having your goal in mind, which works only on basic TOS setup in the six basic resolutions because you are refusing to run a resident prg taking a few KBs of RAM.

Being strict and minimalist has its advantages but not in TOS world full of bugs and strange quirks.

tschak909

Postby tschak909 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:18 pm

For anything that isn't one of the standard modes, it will open in a window.

Does HSMOD drop a cookie into the jar?

-Thom

tschak909

Postby tschak909 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:21 pm

as for the Amiga version, it uses the standard exec I/O layer with devices, so if someone has a better device, it can be entered in the settings menu, and the program will happily use it. I use it myself for telser.device, which allows PLATOTERM to interact quite nicely with a TCP/IP stack (at much higher speeds).

and I am taking everything being said under advisement, please understand that. but I have to fight my battles very carefully, because I know what I am trying to target, it's not just you guys I'm writing code for, I've written to date almost two dozen working ports for a wide variety of machines, and I've been able to do it, because I am not striving for purity, but outright ruthless pragmatism and being very selective of which battles I fight.

-Thom

Galvez
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Galvez » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:26 pm

tschak909 wrote:Does HSMOD drop a cookie into the jar?

Yes it does.

http://toshyp.atari.org/en/003007.html#Cookie_2C_20RSVF

tschak909

Postby tschak909 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:39 pm

For comparison, here's the Amiga version, baud rate selection, RTS/CTS selection, but also choosing which exec device you want to use:
amigademo1.gif

-Thom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:10 pm

Thanks for the (animated) pictures of Platoterm looks / functionality! Btw. what you're using to produce them?

tschak909

Postby tschak909 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:16 pm

on my ST dev system (which is Linux), I am using Peek (apt-get install peek)

on my Windows system (where most of the other platforms are devved):
https://www.screentogif.com/

:)

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:45 pm

Thanks, I'm sure I'll need it myself later on! For others, Peek source is here (if your favorite distro doesn't provide it), but it has few deps: https://github.com/phw/peek

Social Media

Return to “Coding”