Apple G5 Powermac Atari

GFA, ASM, STOS, ...

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

Simie
Atari User
Atari User

Apple G5 Powermac Atari

Postby Simie » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:13 pm

I have had my Falcon 030 since the early day,s it is the only machine that I have kept, with all this retro enthusiasm about the Atari, especially the Falcon 030. Given the value of these great machines, I am aware of the Firebee project but this machine is inferior to my Apple G5.

Has anyone ever managed to get the Freemint to run natively on the G5, I have a couple of these machines and do not mind installing an harddrive to test Freemint if someone is going to make time get it booting. These G5 are being given away on Ebay and considering how powerful they are, it seems a logical move especially considering the graphics and ram capabilities.

I know that the Amiga has a version of its OS running natively on Apple gear.

AdamK
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Apple G5 Powermac Atari

Postby AdamK » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:15 am

No, FreeMiNT was never ported to PPC, so it will not work on G5 natively.
Atari: FireBee, Falcon030 + CT60e + SuperVidel + SvEthlana, TT, 520ST + 4MB ST RAM + 8MB TT RAM + CosmosEx + SC1435, 1040STFM + UltraSatan + SM124, 1040STE 4MB ST RAM + 8MB TT RAM + CosmosEx + NetUSBee + SM144 + SC1224, 65XE + U1MB + VBXE + SIDE2, Jaguar, Lynx II, 2 x Portfolio (HPC-006)

Adam Klobukowski [adamklobukowski@gmail.com]

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:45 am

Simie wrote:I know that the Amiga has a version of its OS running natively on Apple gear.

If you are referring to MorphOS that's because it's a PPC-targeted OS. AFAIK support for the true AmigaOS 4.x (another PPC OS, by the way) is just a hack, works only on specific Mac models and IIRC in version 4.0 only.

FreeMiNT is a m68k OS because there's no PPC Atari hardware.

Simie
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Simie » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:25 pm

I wonder how much work it would take to get it up and running on PPC architecture?
They do have some decent hardware inside them afterall and you can get them cheaper than a Croddfire Firebee.

christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby christos » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:55 pm

I would rather see it ported to arm or x64. PPC is as dead as 68k. But why?
Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas.
My Atari blog

STOT Email address: stot(NoSPAM)atari(DOT)org

Simie
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Simie » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:18 pm

christos wrote:I would rather see it ported to arm or x64. PPC is as dead as 68k. But why?

Yes you are right but my idea is to keep the cost down noone wants Apples old gear unless the word Retro is stamped upon it, I was thinking of my quad 2.5 with Freemint ported to it how nicely it would run.

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:06 pm

And what would you run there, Simie? No software would run without an emulator. In that case it makes sense to run the emulator natively. ;-)

Simie
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Simie » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:37 pm

It is like when Apple switched from IBM to Intel nothing worked and everything had to be rewriten evenually. Then why not use Intel technology as there is plenty of it out there.

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:42 am

Simie wrote:It is like when Apple switched from IBM to Intel nothing worked and everything had to be rewriten evenually.

Erm, no. There was an emulator included in the operating system. It happened twice, btw: m68k -> PPC and PPC -> Intel. In both cases the transition was made via an emulator.

So I'm asking why would we write an emulator for FreeMiNT if you can run one natively on your PPC/Intel hardware. :-) And in the end you would want what, writing x86 GEM applications? I don't think you'd be greeted with much understanding from the community...

Simie
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Simie » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:16 pm

mikro wrote:
Simie wrote:It is like when Apple switched from IBM to Intel nothing worked and everything had to be rewriten evenually.

Erm, no. There was an emulator included in the operating system. It happened twice, btw: m68k -> PPC and PPC -> Intel. In both cases the transition was made via an emulator.

So I'm asking why would we write an emulator for FreeMiNT if you can run one natively on your PPC/Intel hardware. :-) And in the end you would want what, writing x86 GEM applications? I don't think you'd be greeted with much understanding from the community...

We need to be developing an OS for an hardware platform that will not disappear again, how many years of life will FireBee have?
Will this not depend on the the CPU availibility and development.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:05 pm

Simie wrote:We need to be developing an OS for an hardware platform that will not disappear again, how many years of life will FireBee have?

OS is called Mint and EmuTOS.... Platform is called Aranym.... Aranym running on Linux, windows and OSX.... may be Android as well ??
EmuTOS also runs on Amiga and the new all-souped-up new CPU.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63/CTPCI+ATI+RTL8139+USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

Simie
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Simie » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:01 am

wongck wrote:
Simie wrote:We need to be developing an OS for an hardware platform that will not disappear again, how many years of life will FireBee have?

OS is called Mint and EmuTOS.... Platform is called Aranym.... Aranym running on Linux, windows and OSX.... may be Android as well ??
EmuTOS also runs on Amiga and the new all-souped-up new CPU.

What about Beekey b9 for Mac - PC -Raspberry Pi 3

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:01 pm

Simie wrote:What about Beekey b9 for Mac - PC -Raspberry Pi 3

Ah I don't use Beekey but I did try it once.
So yes those as well.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63/CTPCI+ATI+RTL8139+USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

Social Media

Return to “Coding”