ATARI depacking benchmark

GFA, ASM, STOS, ...

Moderators: exxos, simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

leonard

Re: ATARI depacking benchmark

Postby leonard » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:24 pm

ggn wrote:Here's the results from my TT, MSTE and Falcon (3 machines, 3 different monitors, 1 phone ghetto cam so bare with me!)

Thanks ggn! It's really interesting. I'm surprised how falcon is "really not so fast" compared to TT or 16Mhz MSTE!
I guess your TT is 32Mhz right? it's faster than falcon, that's insane!
Leonard/OXYGENE.

ggn
Atari God
Atari God

Postby ggn » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:26 am

leonard wrote:
ggn wrote:Here's the results from my TT, MSTE and Falcon (3 machines, 3 different monitors, 1 phone ghetto cam so bare with me!)

Thanks ggn! It's really interesting. I'm surprised how falcon is "really not so fast" compared to TT or 16Mhz MSTE!

The TT is 32Mhz, that's correct. As for the Falcon not that faster... I guess things could improve if we recoded the depackers to take advantage of the 030's instruction cache and/or turning data cache off. I'm sure the depackers are optimised for 68000 and speed in mind. One final thing to note is that the TT has a proper 32-bit bus so that probably plays the decisive factor for its speed.
is 73 Falcon patched atari games enough ? ^^

troed
Atari God
Atari God

Postby troed » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:16 am

leonard wrote:latest news: I modify "We Were @" demo installer to use upx --nrv2b, and first floppy won't fit! All screens are bigger than arj -m7! I keep arjbeta -m7 for my demos :)

Thanks for testing leonard, this is very valuable information. arj -m7 packs better, nrv2b has a smaller depacker and is faster. When I selected UPX (nrv2b) for {Closure} I was under the impression it was clearly better than other options - now I know better :)

(I don't depack while loading so my total loading times, when not doing that, are still lower with nrv2b. That's of course my problem ;))

/Troed

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:03 am

If you read UPX docs, will see that NRV is considered as outdated, and they went on LZMA method, because it has much better pacing ratio. But TOS file packing never uses LZMA method unless you specify it in command line. I did not try it so far, and wow - it packs really much better. 525KB long file, with some empty areas was packed with NRV to some 95KB, while with LZMA it is 75KB . That's the good part. Bad part is that depacking is really slow - took over 100 secs for mentioned 525KB file. I tried with --fast switch, but it was not faster.
Good thing is that it is open source, so can pack any file without TOS header trickery. Depacker code is slow, and much longer. May be useful if space is tight and speed not so relevant - or just in case of many short files. LZMA is used in 7z too.
Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.

troed
Atari God
Atari God

Postby troed » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:20 am

AtariZoll wrote:If you read UPX docs, will see that NRV is considered as outdated, and they went on LZMA method, because it has much better pacing ratio.

When I updated the existing code to work with new versions of UPX I indeed ran into this (and that's why I specify nrv2b manually on the command line). I do recall they (UPX) were quite open with that the better packing method was very slow in comparison. Thanks for verifying.

/Troed

Cyprian
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Cyprian » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:15 am

ggn wrote:
leonard wrote:

The TT is 32Mhz, that's correct. As for the Falcon not that faster... I guess things could improve if we recoded the depackers to take advantage of the 030's instruction cache and/or turning data cache off. I'm sure the depackers are optimised for 68000 and speed in mind. One final thing to note is that the TT has a proper 32-bit bus so that probably plays the decisive factor for its speed.

I would say that compression code only takes advantage of MHz
Atari_compression.png

Interesting is that how decompressed data are saved in the RAM - Byte after Byte?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jaugar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
SDrive / PAK68/3 / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
Hatari / Aranym / Steem / Saint
http://260ste.appspot.com/

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:29 am

Cyprian wrote:...
Interesting is that how decompressed data are saved in the RAM - Byte after Byte?

Indeed. But that's not what makes it slow. Fastest depackers are for LZO type compressions - where only literals and sliding matches are used - so no need for bit shifts and other slow operations of packed data. 300KB/sec is achievable on 8MHz 68K. Best packers use combined methods for getting good rarios, but that needs complex depackers too, and they are slow, of course, especially on perhistoric CPUs :D
Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:00 pm

Sorry I'm late to the party. :)

Here's my 40mhz 68030, 40mhz 68882, TOS v3.06 equipped Pak 68/3 STacy.

(does the routine take advantage of FPUs?)

P1010006.JPG

BTW, how do you cleanly stop the test? I ran it from an 2gig SDcard in my Ultrasatan.

I tried q, s, x, esc, <control> q, s, x, etc.

PS Dal, still running up a against a brick wall whenever I try to upload files. The forum says file
sizes are limited to 500kib. I can't upload anything over 200.... Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520

leonard

Postby leonard » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:07 am

DarkLord wrote:Here's my 40mhz 68030, 40mhz 68882, TOS v3.06 equipped Pak 68/3 STacy.

Thanks for these new numbers! I don't know there is some 40Mhz version of TT, but it seems it's a veru fast machine!

DarkLord wrote:(does the routine take advantage of FPUs?)

not at all

DarkLord wrote:BTW, how do you cleanly stop the test?

you can't. The benchmark ends in an infinite loop
Leonard/OXYGENE.

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:52 pm

Oh, the STacy is an Atari portable (although at its weight, "luggable" might
be a better description!). :)

It's not a TT at all. It's pretty much a standard TOS v1.04, 8mhz 68000, max 4 meg
ST at heart.

I installed a Pak 68/3 accelerator board in it. That gives it TOS v3.06, a 40mhz 68882 FPU,
and a 40mhz 68030 CPU.

Quick little machine. :)

stacy-full.jpg
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520

leonard

Postby leonard » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:50 pm

DarkLord wrote:Oh, the STacy is an Atari portable (although at its weight, "luggable" might
be a better description!). :)

Oh sorry I missed that! Of course I know Stacy by name, but don't know about the acceleration card. That's really a fast ST!
Leonard/OXYGENE.

Social Media

Return to “Coding”