Moderators: exxos, simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: 8-way scrolling system for prototyping games on STE

Postby dml » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:30 am

TheNameOfTheGame wrote:tutor1 won't build on my system. Stops with:

Code: Select all

cp tutor1.sym /cygdrive/d/projects/local/hatari19/.
cp: cannot create regular file '/cygdrive/d/projects/local/hatari19/.': No such file or directory
make: *** [Makefile:236: tutor1.tos] Error 1
rm tutor1.o ../../rmac/mStartupAsmCpp.o ../../agtsys/mStartup.o

'

I have fixed this now - it was the switch 'USE_HATARI_DEBUGGING=yes' in the makefiles. I had turned it on recently and forgot.
(When it's on, it emits debug symbols but you need to point it at your hatari dir with 'HATARI_DEBUG_DIR=' or it will give this error)

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:34 am

BTW the code is still partly 'live' - i have to make fixes or changes from time to time as i develop the demos. Not much - but enough to gradually break older demos. I keep them up to date but if you just download each new tutorial (for example) one at a time from the bitbucket browser you may find later demos don't work. Better wait for a few to collect and get everything at once, so there are not compat. issues between the demos and the engine.

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:40 am

Ok, and thanks for the info.

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:45 am

Finished the code last night for tutorial 3 - direct sprites. It has 4 sub-parts. Code on bitbucket. All the other code is up to date. If anything is wrong let me know and I'll fix this evening.

Haven't done the wiki part of tutorial 3 - it will take a couple of evenings. Will post once its up.

[EDIT]

Sorry, forgot to actually link the tutorial texts:

https://bitbucket.org/d_m_l/agtools/wiki/Tutorials

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:06 pm

dml wrote:Finished the code last night for tutorial 3 - direct sprites. It has 4 sub-parts. Code on bitbucket. All the other code is up to date. If anything is wrong let me know and I'll fix this evening.

Haven't done the wiki part of tutorial 3 - it will take a couple of evenings. Will post once its up.

[EDIT]

Sorry, forgot to actually link the tutorial texts:

https://bitbucket.org/d_m_l/agtools/wiki/Tutorials

Compiled tutor2 and tutor3.

tutor2 compiled fine and ran on steem also. Xenon!

tutor3 on running "make all" only makes tutor3a.tos, and not b, c, or d. Running tutor3a.tos in steem resulted in Halt and black screen. I did run ./makedata.sh first.

tutor2 looks really cool. Hope I can understand this one day :lol: Looking forward to reading that one.

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:14 pm

TheNameOfTheGame wrote:Compiled tutor2 and tutor3.

tutor2 compiled fine and ran on steem also. Xenon!

It's actually Valtric: http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detai ... e_id=10282

However I strongly suspect the visuals heavily influenced Xenon a couple of years later ;-)

random YT vid of Valtric Jamma board: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73-st9VAli8

OTOH I have no excuse for tutor3! :mrgreen:

TheNameOfTheGame wrote:tutor3 on running "make all" only makes tutor3a.tos, and not b, c, or d. Running tutor3a.tos in steem resulted in Halt and black screen. I did run ./makedata.sh first.
tutor2 looks really cool. Hope I can understand this one day :lol: Looking forward to reading that one.

Ok i probably screwed something up again. When I find out what it is I'll update.

:cheers:

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:29 pm

So the reason you got a black screen = my fault. I had checked in the makedata script with some of the commands commented out, so it wasn't building all the sprites. Now fixed. Fetch the fix and run the makedata script again.

As for building only one program - I get all 4 built here correctly, even if i fetch stuff from scratch. Is it possible you have some stale engine source files? Maybe try a fresh fetch of the zip. If that doesn't solve it i may need a capture of your build output/log to see what happened. I did change some engine code though so its probably that.

BTW i recently removed nearly all prebuilt datafiles from the repo to keep the size down for zip snapshots. The ones that remain are only for the slowest cases e.g. superpalette crunching jobs, so you don't have to wait for those.

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:39 pm

Something else I meant to add - the tutorial source has been written to minimise changes between each one - so you can use a decent text-diff tool (one that shows the entire files side by side, colour-blocking the changes) to compare the steps and see what was done between each. This should help with undertanding whats going on, as much as reading anything on the wiki. There are some less important edits between each step, mostly for aesthetics but those shouldn't get in the way.

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:20 pm

Wiki text is up now for tutorial 3. Most of it happens in the first two steps - the second two were trivial adjustments.

https://bitbucket.org/d_m_l/agtools/wik ... %20Sprites

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:39 am

dml wrote:So the reason you got a black screen = my fault. I had checked in the makedata script with some of the commands commented out, so it wasn't building all the sprites. Now fixed. Fetch the fix and run the makedata script again.

As for building only one program - I get all 4 built here correctly, even if i fetch stuff from scratch. Is it possible you have some stale engine source files? Maybe try a fresh fetch of the zip. If that doesn't solve it i may need a capture of your build output/log to see what happened. I did change some engine code though so its probably that.

BTW i recently removed nearly all prebuilt datafiles from the repo to keep the size down for zip snapshots. The ones that remain are only for the slowest cases e.g. superpalette crunching jobs, so you don't have to wait for those.

cp tutor3a.sym /cygdrive/d/projects/local/hatari19/.
cp: cannot create regular file '/cygdrive/d/projects/local/hatari19/.': No such file or directory
make: *** [Makefile:245: tutor3a.tos] Error 1

# produce symbols for Hatari debugger
USE_HATARI_DEBUGGING=yes

It was that flag causing it. Changed it to "no" and all was good. :cheers:

They're not executing consecutively though. They hang at the bee icon after each one. No big deal.

They are very cool.

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:07 am

TheNameOfTheGame wrote:It was that flag causing it. Changed it to "no" and all was good. :cheers:

They're not executing consecutively though. They hang at the bee icon after each one. No big deal.

They are very cool.

Thanks - I've gone through the makefiles and made sure they're all set up with '=no' now. I also changed that path to the project's local dir so it will work even if the debug setting is turned on. Hopefully it won't get in the way any more!

As for the hang on exit - i'll investigate. It's not showing here with Steem 3.8.0 / TOS 1.62UK but most of my earlier demos didn't exit and i've probably spent 5 minutes on the cleanup code so it might just be a bit wrong.

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:24 pm

First two parts of tutorial 4 are in the source repo now. Wiki will follow another time, probably after the other parts are coded.

Last tutorial dealt with conventional sprites on moving backgrounds.

This tutorial deals with agt entities and how they help to get more game stuff done with less code - compared with conventional sprites. All of the demos use entities for practically everything.

Some small changes/improvements to engine again, needed to keep this tutorial tidy - one of the functions had a mess of parameters which should have been a single parameter. Demos have been updated to match.

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:36 pm

It's a lot to digest. I'm up to reading tutorial 3a now. Many new concepts I have to wrap my head around.

Definitely have to go back and read the previous ones again and maybe again yet :lol: .

I think when I get to the point of being able to play with the code it might speed my understanding up.

Nice tutorials though. They're well written. :cheers:

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:45 pm

TheNameOfTheGame wrote:It's a lot to digest. I'm up to reading tutorial 3a now. Many new concepts I have to wrap my head around.
Definitely have to go back and read the previous ones again and maybe again yet :lol: .

If you find something is just not clear or skimmed over too fast, let me know and I'll split it up. I don't mind writing more text if its helpful. I think the first parts (shifter, playfield, arena) are the weirdest and perhaps hard to absorb but impact on programming is actually small - its mostly just some settings, and the same pattern of calls in every mainloop.

The later tutorials will be increasingly about game-level problems - and mostly independent of the material in the first 3 tutorials.

TheNameOfTheGame wrote:I think when I get to the point of being able to play with the code it might speed my understanding up.
Nice tutorials though. They're well written. :cheers:

Thanks! Yes there's nothing quite like changing things around to learn how something works.

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:48 pm

Code for tutorial 4 is up on BitBucket now. There are 7 steps this time. However all of them are small steps.

Wiki version will take a bit longer, as time allows.

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:42 pm

Tutorial 5 code is up now also. 3 parts. The interesting bits have begun!

Going to catch up the wiki walkthrough now. i.e. the boring bit.

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:47 pm

The code and wiki walkthroughs for all tutorials up to and including 5 are now available.

Going to let it rest there for a bit. The next one is going to need some planning.

[EDIT]

Also.. i've been reliably informed the AGT build environment works fine under Linux, using WINE to run the bin/ tools. The changes needed appear to be small. Details before long.

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:32 pm

Thanks for all your hard work on them.

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:04 am

TheNameOfTheGame wrote:Thanks for all your hard work on them.

:cheers: and thanks for trying it out!

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:02 pm

I'll probably start on the next tutorials soon and make some general upgrades to the engine.

Ragstaff
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Ragstaff » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:44 pm

Well, I've barely written a hello world on the Atari but it seems you put so much effort into this, Doug, that I almost feel obliged to have a go at these tutorials. I did C 101 on Unix at uni 15 years ago, so I have a tiny bit of literacy in the tools at hand. I'll start reading through the tutorials and seeing what sense I can make of it!

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:52 pm

Ragstaff wrote:Well, I've barely written a hello world on the Atari but it seems you put so much effort into this, Doug, that I almost feel obliged to have a go at these tutorials. I did C 101 on Unix at uni 15 years ago, so I have a tiny bit of literacy in the tools at hand. I'll start reading through the tutorials and seeing what sense I can make of it!

:cheers:

The tutorials are really just walkthroughs of the tutorial samples - no 'exercises' as such. But you can always edit things and see what happens.

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:02 pm

The agt repo has been updated so you can build the demos and tutorials on Ubuntu without editing anything, assuming:

a) you are running a distro that can install Vincent's m68k-atari-mint-gcc (check his site)
b) you have Vincent's m68k-atari-mint-gcc installed (follow instructions on his site)
c) you have WINE installed (to proxy the agt tools)
d) you have Mercurial installed (so you can clone the repo properly an retain the flags/permissions etc.)

You can apt-get 'mercurial' and 'wine-stable' without messing around. For m68k-atari-mint-gcc you need to add Vincent's url as a deb source, i.e. by following his instructions.

Vincent only supports a selection of Ubuntu distros (the last being 16.10) so be sure to check that before diving in and wasting a bunch of time.

I'll probably link my own VM with everything set up, at some point soon. But you might prefer to make your own.

Note that the repo fixes will likely also work on MacOSX but the installation of WINE etc. might be a little different (e.g. via homebrew).

metalages
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby metalages » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:55 pm

About using C++ on old architectures, have you seen this great talk ? :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBkNBP00wJE

Social Media

Return to “Coding”