GFA, ASM, STOS, ...

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

Anima
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Cross compiling on the PC for M680x0 and DSP56001

Postby Anima » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:34 pm

Hello guys,

as mentioned in another thread here is a short documentation about cross compiling M680x0 and DSP56001 on the PC. It's not quite perfect but I think it's a good start to have a developent tool for the two processors of the Atari Falcon.

Introduction

Cross compiling for the M680x0 is well documented and there are a few compilers available. However, generating code for the DSP56001 is not that easy. In fact, there are some assemblers available but unfortunately there are no real native Linux assemblers (except for Asm56k which I am not familiar with). Also I would like to keep my old DSP sources which are being assembled by the original Motorola DSP development tools for the Atari Falcon. Unfortunately DSP assembling on the Atari is not the fastest and neither is it convenient so it would be nice to have an DSP assembler running on the PC.

The search for Motorola DSP tools for the PC resulted in finding an old DOS version which unfortunately uses the DOS4GW extender. So assembling was fast but the need of invoking the tools within DOSBox wasn't satisfying either. An interesting article about this method can be found on the Avelino's Chamelion cross development page.

I still wanted a native Linux DSP56001 assembler but Motorola has never released one and you're not able to find any downloadable programs on the Motorola site. Luckily, further investigations revealed the existence of Windows DSP tools. The name to search for was "Win56000.exe" and you can also find a download link (file size is about 50 MB). And finally there are the programs I was looking for: "asm56000.exe" and "cldlod.exe" as native Windows programs which can be invoked using Vista/Windows 7 or Wine (Linux).

Prerequisites

For the main development environment I have chosen the Eclipse IDE for C/C++ Developers. The recommended GCC cross compiler package is the m68k-atari-mint toolkit ported by Vincent Rivière. Please follow the instructions how to get it running on either Windows (Cygwin) or Linux. As noted before you need to have Wine installed on a Linux machine as well.

Project setup

At first start the Eclipse IDE. Create a new C project (type: "Executable"/"Empty Project") using the "Cross GCC" toolchain. Click "Next". Click "Advanced Settings". Select "[All configurations]" and click on the "Build Steps" tab. Enter "../asm56k.sh" as the command for the "pre-build steps". Click on the "Build Artifact" tab and set the "Artifact extension" to "tos". Click "OK". Click "Next" and enter "m68k-atari-mint-" as the cross compiler prefix. Select the path to the cross compiler binaries. Click "Finish".

Add the files from the attached archive to the project (please don't complain about the quick and dirty code). ;)

Now copy the asm56000.exe and cldlod.exe into the same project directory (on Linux you need to do a "chmod a+x" on these both files as well). Refresh the project view in Eclipse.

Please note that you need to do the following on a Linux machine:

Code: Select all

chmod a+x asm56k.sh
chmod a+x asm56000.exe
chmod a+x cldlod.exe

Building and starting

Now start building the project. Congratulations: your Atari Falcon DSP test program can now be found in the "Debug" folder named "dsp_test.tos". Please note that you always need the "dsp_test.lod" file in the same directory as well to start the program.

On the Falcon it should look like this:

Ok, it's late now and I have to go to bed. Comments and improvements and so on are appreciated. Please let me know if you have problems with this tutorial.

Cheers
Sascha
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Cross compiling on the PC for M680x0 and DSP56001

Postby Dal » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:28 am

Next step is to see if sources exist for asm56000.exe and Cldlod.exe, then these could potentially be compiled into a native Linux binary?
Mega"SST" 12, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:59 am

I'm pretty sure I've seen the source package for the as56 assembler in at least one of the linux distros. I didn't pay it much attention at the time but it's worth a look now. The NeXT hardware included a 20mhz dsp56k and it probably (?) originated there.

I'm less sure about the DSP debugger though - I found it to be a pretty useful bit of kit when I was working on my DSP fixed point library. I can't remember if it is a simulator or a live debugger - if it's a simulator then finding source for it is more likely IMO.

Thanks for the writeup btw - I haven't gone through it all properly yet but it looks good and I'll be back here at lunchtime to digest it :)

My biggest problem is the amount of devpac source I had built up over the years and the pain involved in converting this to gas or inline gcc asm (horrible job). I was tempted to experiment with invoking devpac from the PC via an emulator, set up just to perform assembling jobs - but the result won't link with gcc objects, requiring workarounds. Probably not worth the trouble.

Maybe a syntax parser/translator for devpac -> gcc would help deal with 95% of the effort, followed by some editing :)

Cyprian
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Cyprian » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:34 am

dml wrote:My biggest problem is the amount of devpac source I had built up over the years and the pain involved in converting this to gas or inline gcc asm

you don't have to do that.
just try VASM assembler which is Devpac compatible:
http://sun.hasenbraten.de/vasm/
Last edited by Cyprian on Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaugar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
SDrive / PAK68/3 / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
Hatari / Steem SSE / Aranym / Saint
http://260ste.appspot.com/

Cyprian
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Cyprian » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:28 pm

welcome DML
Jaugar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
SDrive / PAK68/3 / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:08 pm

@Anima - I didn't realise the linux asm56k was a different tool! I may take a look at it later to see how different it is - but your solution looks pretty good anyway. Nice find :) I'll try it out as soon as I get a chance.

Anima
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Anima » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:45 pm

@ DML: thanks. I have tried some of the possible DSP assembler alternatives but they were not as good as expected. I am not sure what the real reasons were to omit them but one was the fact that my sources were already written for the original Motorola assembler which is indeed available for different platforms (even for Solaris but not Linux). IIRC there was a compatibility problem with the binary output as well.

I think this solution is quite comfortable; e.g. the errors from assembling the DSP sources will be displayed within Eclipse so you don't have to open log files for bug hunting.

Cheers
Sascha

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:21 pm

dml wrote:I'm less sure about the DSP debugger though - I found it to be a pretty useful bit of kit when I was working on my DSP fixed point library. I can't remember if it is a simulator or a live debugger - if it's a simulator then finding source for it is more likely IMO.

Hatari debugger has the same facilities for debugging Falcon DSP code as for debugging the CPU side: assembly tracing, address/symbol info loading, conditional breakpoints, history, disassembly with profiling information, memory & register dumps etc. Even better, you can do this for both DSP & CPU at the same time.

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:34 pm

Eero Tamminen wrote:Hatari debugger has the same facilities for debugging Falcon DSP code as for debugging the CPU side: assembly tracing, address/symbol info loading, conditional breakpoints, history, disassembly with profiling information, memory & register dumps etc. Even better, you can do this for both DSP & CPU at the same time.

That is very cool. I'll look at for sure.

saulot
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby saulot » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:45 pm

Anima: there is free, open-source dsp cross-compiler by Sqward - http://dhs.nu/files.php?t=single&ID=133 .

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:39 am

Cyprian wrote:
dml wrote:My biggest problem is the amount of devpac source I had built up over the years and the pain involved in converting this to gas or inline gcc asm

you don't have to do that.
just try VASM assembler which is Devpac compatible:
http://sun.hasenbraten.de/vasm/

...so the other day I had a go at compiling VASM and VBCC under Cygwin. VASM certainly seems to compile NEMBENCH.S without any trouble, and even seems to link it against a GCC project using the -Faout output module for '.a' object format. That's a good sign because the project contains 68881 asm as well as other stuff :)

Have not had time to test everything properly yet but so far so good.

Cyprian
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Cyprian » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:00 pm

that's cool. I only faced an issue with fpu label - FEQU

btw. do you have nembench sourcecode? :D

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:07 pm

Cyprian wrote:that's cool. I only faced an issue with fpu label - FEQU

Ok I'll keep that in mind.

Cyprian wrote:btw. do you have nembench sourcecode? :D

Yes I managed to recover it.

I was planning on writing a new one anyway - the old one is a bit rigid and doesn't test all of the 'interesting pipelining' things that the later 680x0 family implements so I wanted to get a bit more visibility on that stuff.

[update]

Here's the source for the old one... apologies in advance for the state of it, esp. the DSP one! I don't remember when I last assembled it from this version of the source so YMMV

[update #2]

I actually got quite far with the new benchmarking project using GCC + VASM. They seems to work quite well together. However as soon as I started implementing the actual tests I notice HATARI doesn't behave at all like a real 68030, particularly the caches. It always reports ~4 MIPS regardless of the cache flags or size of the code being executed :) time to set up a *real* one then...

I'll try to set up the DSP assembler later for the DSP-specific tests to see how that goes integration-wise.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:00 pm

...and now I find myself back here looking at this:

Anima wrote:The name to search for was "Win56000.exe" and you can also find a download link (file size is about 50 MB). And finally there are the programs I was looking for: "asm56000.exe" and "cldlod.exe" as native Windows programs which can be invoked using Vista/Windows 7 or Wine (Linux).

...because for some inexplicable reason I can't get ASM56000.TTP to work at all under Hatari using GEMDOS share with the PC - it seems to get truncated pathnames for the sourcefile and won't emit the LOD file - silent exit. asm56k.exe expects different syntax so that's no use without a lot of code rewriting - so this should solve my problem.

Cheers!

[edit]

Aaaah - Win56000.exe is the installer for Suite56! I've been looking for that for ages without any luck. It has a software sim in the package...

[edit2]

...the assembler works fine, although it's a much later revision than the Falcon one and issues some warnings about overlapping memory spaces. It seems there is no LOD2BIN tool in Suite56 (?) so I had to the last step inside Hatari. Not ideal but the rebuilt code is working properly.

One slightly scary fact - the newly assembled BIN file is about 9 bytes larger than the old one. Will need to look into that soon :)

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:48 pm

dml wrote:...because for some inexplicable reason I can't get ASM56000.TTP to work at all under Hatari using GEMDOS share with the PC - it seems to get truncated pathnames for the sourcefile and won't emit the LOD file - silent exit.

With which Hatari version?

There was 10 years old bug in Hatari cartridge code (used by GEMDOS HD emu) that destroyed last part of command line, which noticed only last fall and fixed 2 months ago:
http://hg.tuxfamily.org/mercurialroot/h ... 04d6e08831

(ARGV protocol is used for >126 char long command lines and the bug isn't visible for <100 chars long command lines, that's why it wasn't noticed.)

dml wrote:...the assembler works fine, although it's a much later revision than the Falcon one and issues some warnings about overlapping memory spaces. It seems there is no LOD2BIN tool in Suite56 (?) so I had to the last step inside Hatari. Not ideal but the rebuilt code is working properly.

I've automated this kind of stuff by writing the required command to Gulam shell startup file (gulam.g) and asking Hatari to run Gulam:

hatari -m --confirm-quit no --fast-forward yes --fastfdc on --conout 2  ./gulam.prg

(I have a script doing that which I call from Makefile.)

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:59 pm

Eero Tamminen wrote:
With which Hatari version?

It was most probably the (then) current 1.6.2 public release. I haven't tried since with the more recent code.

Eero Tamminen wrote:(ARGV protocol is used for >126 char long command lines and the bug isn't visible for <100 chars long command lines, that's why it wasn't noticed.)

The problem I had seemed to occur with very short commandlines (just an 8.3 filename on its own). I'm not using the native assembler any more but when I get a chance I'll retest.

Eero Tamminen wrote:I've automated this kind of stuff by writing the required command to Gulam shell startup file (gulam.g) and asking Hatari to run Gulam:

hatari -m --confirm-quit no --fast-forward yes --fastfdc on --conout 2  ./gulam.prg

That's handy to know, thanks!

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:52 pm

Hi Sascha,

Do you have an equivalent for LOD2BIN.TTP on the Windows or Linux platforms? Does such a thing exist?

I'll need to check the xbios functions to see if this can be done on the target as a file cache process (lod->bin on demand). That would remove the need for such a tool and would let me do runtime overlays properly too...

Anima
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Anima » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:32 am

dml wrote:Hi Sascha,

Do you have an equivalent for LOD2BIN.TTP on the Windows or Linux platforms? Does such a thing exist?

Hello Doug,

I don't think so. It seems that it is a special one for the Atari!? :(

Actually there was another DSP assembler package for DOS but it was really awkward to use because of the DOS4GW extender which only runs within DOSBOX. But AFAIK there wasn't a LOD2BIN.EXE either.

So I think the best way is to use the XBIOS DSP functions for this.

Cheers
Sascha

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:53 am

Anima wrote:
dml wrote:So I think the best way is to use the XBIOS DSP functions for this.
Cheers
Sascha

Ok so I'll change my code to work with LODs directly and cache the binary files, and it will remove one more annoying step from the build/test process :-)

Thanks,
D.

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:11 pm

dml wrote:The problem I had seemed to occur with very short commandlines (just an 8.3 filename on its own). I'm not using the native assembler any more but when I get a chance I'll retest.

I would appreciate it if you could mail that Atari binary and example command line & files needed for testing the issue to me (to helsinkinet address) so that I could investigate it.

ThorstenOtto
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ThorstenOtto » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:26 am

While trying to debug some dsp emulaton code, i just stumbled upon this thread ;)

In the meantime, i grabbed the source of asm56k, and fixed a few things. You will find the updated version at http://tho-otto.de/downloads.html

I'm not sure abouts its status, though. I fixed a bug where it generated a wrong opcode, but there might be others. Also its macro syntax is different from that of the Motorola assembler (no named arguments). But the advantage of it is that you can compile it for your platform, and don't need to use wine on linux to execute asm56000.exe ;)

dml wrote:Do you have an equivalent for LOD2BIN.TTP on the Windows or Linux platforms? Does such a thing exist?

The bin file format is very simple, it is just a series of header/data where the header contains 3 dsp words denoting the memory type, the load address, and the number of words of data to follow. The p56 format that asm56k creates is exactly that. mikrosk also wrote a tool some time ago as part of his cute56 project but it is written for Qt (C++)

anima wrote:So I think the best way is to use the XBIOS DSP functions for this.

I just found out that this function has some quirks, especially when cross-compiling. First of, the way to call it is quite strange, you have to know in advance how large the output data might be. But more seriously, it runs into problems when fed a file which does not have CR as line endings in it, it will then run forever searching for CR, which might not be present. And since there is no parameter to the function that tells it how large the input buffer is, it will search until end-of-memory. Beside that, this is a XBIOS function that calls GEMDOS functions to do its work, which is not very clever.

dml wrote:...because for some inexplicable reason I can't get ASM56000.TTP to work at all under Hatari using GEMDOS share with the PC

I had the same problem here, both with Hatari and STonX (the STonX version i use has a similar approach to Hatari for GEMDOS emulation, catching the calls and redirecting it to the host). The sympton is that it creates the output files, but then fails to write anything to it. That reminded me of something i had already seen with as68: it opens the files with Fopen(..., 0), then writes to it. This is happily accepted by GEMDOS. But trying to add some debug output, it does not seem to be the case for asm56000, so there must be something else that prevents it from writing to the files in such emulations.

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:05 am

ThorstenOtto wrote:In the meantime, i grabbed the source of asm56k, and fixed a few things. You will find the updated version at http://tho-otto.de/downloads.html

Oh wow. :) I guess the most 'appropriate' way would be to fork his repository so we can keep the history: https://bitbucket.org/sqward/asm56k.

Bad news: unless somebody else expresses interest in this tool I'm afraid it's dead - sqward is also using motorola's assembler these days.
Good news: a certain individual is reverse engineering and back porting the original asm56000.ttp back to its C form so it would be compilable on all platforms!

mikrosk also wrote a tool some time ago as part of his cute56 project but it is written for Qt (C++)

Actually Eero did a plain C version back then, too - attached.

This is happily accepted by GEMDOS. But trying to add some debug output, it does not seem to be the case for asm56000, so there must be something else that prevents it from writing to the files in such emulations.

Just recently I've asked about status of this bug in Hatari ML (see subject "asm56000.ttp problem") -- Eero seemed looking into it but then it faded away.

ThorstenOtto
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ThorstenOtto » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:39 am

mikro wrote:I guess the most 'appropriate' way would be to fork his repository so we can keep the history:

I had to delete more than half of (sorry) the crap he used, namely python scripts for building (WTF for? calling python scripts from make, to build some system calls, which in turn spawn a sh to execute the commands? never seen such nonsense, except in Makefiles generated by cmake...), and the opt library he was using (another nonsense, 200k+ source for a library just to parse 5-6 options, when you just can use getopt(); despite that, it did not even work).

I also reformatted the rest, to make it readable at least. So for a history, there is not much left ;)

a certain individual is reverse engineering and back porting the original asm56000.ttp back to its C form so it would be compilable on all platforms!

That would be cool. Any chance to take a look at it already? (after checking) huks. The binary is ~294k, that will be quite some work...

Just recently I've asked about status of this bug in Hatari ML (see subject "asm56000.ttp problem") away.

Must have missed that... ok looks you are referring to problem where i don't have the original mail. But as mentioned above, it does not seem to be that Fopen issue. Could not figure out yet what is going wrong.

PS.: speaking about reverse-engenering: i've also manage to reverse-engineer the DSP XBIOS calls (not totally complete yet, need to recreate the 56k source for the code that is downloaded to the DSP to bootstrap it).

Rustynutt
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Rustynutt » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:34 am

Another kept me up after midnight thread to read :)
Never set up Hatari, kind of read up a bit on the cross compiling a while back. Would be a challenge for me to get that far, much less code.
Picked these up a while ago, they are object code compatible with the 56001.
Was thinking the PC card would be easier to learn with for a beginner than setting up the environment you guys are working on, not having to mess with the DSP side of the emulator. Not sure if there is enough room on a Milan to try out, a thought.
The other card I'd like to experiment loading from the Falcon, do some xyz stuff, and send data back, for starters.

Something like this:
Steal some of dml's code
send to the standalone card for processing
return nembench (jpeg view, ect) data to the Falcon.

Once that game gets old, make a daughter card for the CT60 this can tie into and redirect all DSP function to this card.
Could the DSP GAL be modified to use the external DSP, or would redirecting output via soft be just as easy? Was thinking if done with bus logic, would make function transparent for DSP access.

Then there's the audio side of this card........

Nuts?

Social Media

Return to “Coding”