GFA, ASM, STOS, ...

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

madaxe
Atariator
Atariator

Need help to test on a Real Atari

Postby madaxe » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:01 pm

Hi friends;

As some of you know I'm converting to Atari a little game that I made for Amiga, PC and Speccy. As I don't own an Atari I'm using the Steem Emulator.
I made a little program to test some enemy attack waves and it seems to run very smoothly on Steem, but when I run it on Steem SSE or Hatari there is a lot of flickering.
So, if you have an Atari and don't mind to test the program to see if it runs smoothly I would appreciate.

Note: I'm using GODLib so I think it only runs on TOS 2.06.

Thanks in Advance,
José Mário a.k.a MadAxe.

Steem screenshot

Hatari screenshoot
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Need help to test on a Real Atari

Postby christos » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:13 pm

Silly question maybe, but are you using double buffering?
Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas.
My Atari blog

STOT Email address: stot(NoSPAM)atari(DOT)org

madaxe
Atariator
Atariator

Postby madaxe » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:33 am

christos wrote:Silly question maybe, but are you using double buffering?

Hi christos;

It's not a silly question, in fact is a very relevant question, but yes: I'm using double buffering :)

mlynn1974
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mlynn1974 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:49 am

I don't have an ST with TOS 2.06 but I have looked at it with Hatari.
Are you using the blitter to clear the screen? It looks as if the blitter is used asynchronously before drawing the sprites and the 2 are overwriting each other. Just a thought.
Still got, still working: Atari 4Mb STe, 520STFM, 2.5Mb STF.
Hardware: Cumana CSA 354, Ultimate Ripper, Blitz Turbo, Synchro Express II (US and UK Versions).

dma
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby dma » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:51 pm

Why do you think it would only run on TOS 2.06?
I did a game with GodLib and it runs on earlier TOS versions as well.

madaxe
Atariator
Atariator

Postby madaxe » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:02 pm

dma wrote:Why do you think it would only run on TOS 2.06?
I did a game with GodLib and it runs on earlier TOS versions as well.

Mmmmmmm, very interesting!

Well, maybe I am doing something wrong but after compiling my code the program only runs on TOS 2.06.

In fact, there is a funny thing: the examples provided by Reservoir Gods in their website work perfectly on TOS 1.04 but after I recompiled them they only work on TOS 2.06. What I'am I doing wrong? Need to change any option in Pure C compiler?

PS: Where can I download your game?

dma
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby dma » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:53 pm

Strange indeed, i attached the two .cfg files from my PUREC directory to this message, if it could help.

My game is "Manical Drop", clone of an arcade action-puzzle game every proper gamer should know. :P
You can find more about it here: https://www.rgcd.co.uk/2011/05/manical- ... alcon.html

madaxe
Atariator
Atariator

Postby madaxe » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:13 pm

dma wrote:Strange indeed, i attached the two .cfg files from my PUREC directory to this message, if it could help.

I couldn't find the attachments, sorry.

dma wrote:My game is "Manical Drop", clone of an arcade action-puzzle game every proper gamer should know. :P
You can find more about it here: https://www.rgcd.co.uk/2011/05/manical- ... alcon.html

Wow! Very nice game :) You did a great work, dma! And very good use of GODLib :)
Bye the way, did you code it on Steem or on a real Atari?

dma
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby dma » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:51 pm

Oupsy, i forgot the attachment indeed. :mrgreen: Here it is.

Many thanks for your comments on the game. :)
I coded it on STeem back then for ease of code text edition and "fast-forwarded" compilation. ;)
But i tested it on ST/STe/Falcon regularly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LaceySnr
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby LaceySnr » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:09 am

Seems to run on my Falcon using Image runner (http://www.atari.8bitchip.info/imgrun.php), but I don't have a joystick attached right now. It slows down once the 5th enemy comes on to screen though.

I've been thinking about putting together a shooter using DML's engine, have you looked at that at all? I've been meaning to look into GODLIB properly but never found the time :(

madaxe
Atariator
Atariator

Postby madaxe » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:20 pm

dma wrote:Oupsy, i forgot the attachment indeed. :mrgreen: Here it is.

No problem :) Thanks for the .CFGs files but unfortunately still doesn't run under TOS 2.06 :shrug:
So, i found this: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6098&p=53775&hilit=godlib#p53775

It seems there is (or there was) a bug on asm routine that did the trap calling for malloc. That caused some trouble in TOSes<2.06.

I downloaded my version of GODlib from the Reservoir GODS website. Where did you download your?

czietz
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby czietz » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:57 pm

I've had a look at GODLIB source code and at your compiled program. The bug that causes the crash is not present in the GODLIB version available on Github: https://github.com/ReservoirGods/GODLIB

dma
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby dma » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:12 pm

Ah yes, i also think that i had already been provided a newer version than the one from the website, back then.

madaxe
Atariator
Atariator

Postby madaxe » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:23 pm

czietz wrote:I've had a look at GODLIB source code and at your compiled program. The bug that causes the crash is not present in the GODLIB version available on Github: https://github.com/ReservoirGods/GODLIB

dma wrote:Ah yes, i also think that i had already been provided a newer version than the one from the website, back then.

Thank you very much guys :)
I downloaded the new version from the GitHub but it seems to be more difficult to set up than the "preview" version. Nothing that a good afternoon of work can't fix :)

madaxe
Atariator
Atariator

Postby madaxe » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:44 am

Hi fellows;

Thanks again for your help and feedback :)
And here it is: the new version of Enemy Wave Attack that now runs on all TOS and the masks are set properly. I tested on Steem and Hatari and it runs smoothly with no flickering but if someone wants to test on a real Atari would be nice :)

Cheers,
José Mário Machado.

MM41

Postby MM41 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:03 pm

Tested on real STe (4mb, TOS1.62Fr, Satandisk); some waves are very cool :)
Well done Madaxe :cheers:
We want destroy them now :D

LaceySnr

Postby LaceySnr » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:48 am

Tried this one out on the Falcon too, and ran fine again :) Slight difference this time though, the faster waves only slow down when 6+ enemies are on screen now!

madaxe
Atariator
Atariator

Postby madaxe » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:39 pm

MM41 wrote:Tested on real STe (4mb, TOS1.62Fr, Satandisk); some waves are very cool :)
Well done Madaxe :cheers:
We want destroy them now :D

LaceySnr wrote:Tried this one out on the Falcon too, and ran fine again :) Slight difference this time though, the faster waves only slow down when 6+ enemies are on screen now!

Very nice, thank you for your feedback. I'll do my best to make a simple but enjoyable game... I hope :)
When I have more stuff ready I will put it here in the forum to be tested :)

Thanks again,
José Mário Machado

LaceySnr

Postby LaceySnr » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:08 am

Sounds good! I was inspired by you to get GODLIB all setup on my Falcon last night. Takes a long time to compile the samples...

Will you be publishing your code? Have always thought about doing a shooter but never really looked in detail at how the engines work for waves etc. I wrote a basic demo one once that just had a table of time offsets with # of enemies to spawn and the pattern for them, no idea if that's the 'standard' way to do it or not though.

madaxe
Atariator
Atariator

Postby madaxe » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:00 pm

LaceySnr wrote:Sounds good! I was inspired by you to get GODLIB all setup on my Falcon last night. Takes a long time to compile the samples...

Will you be publishing your code? Have always thought about doing a shooter but never really looked in detail at how the engines work for waves etc. I wrote a basic demo one once that just had a table of time offsets with # of enemies to spawn and the pattern for them, no idea if that's the 'standard' way to do it or not though.

Yeap, I always publish the sources when the game is complete :)
I attached the source of the Enemy Wave Attack demo, hope you find them useful :)

On the other versions of my game (Amiga, PC and Speccy) the enemies have a simple linear vertical top-down movement with no sinusoidal or circular or even diagonal effects. And yes, I use a Time Counter that gives me the type of enemy to create. Something like this:

Time Cnt | Enemy Type
---------------------
0 | 255 (no enemy)
1 | 255
2 | 1
3 | 0
4 | 1
5 | 0
6 | 1
7 | 255

... and so on.
When the enemy is a Boss, the Timer Counter stops and restarts when the Boss is killed. I really don't know if this is the usual method in coding shooters but works for me :)

But now, on the Atari version I want to make the movements more sophisticated and I coded this little program to test the sinusoidal, circular and diagonal effects. I don't know yet how to integrate these more sophisticated waves on a simple Time Counter so I'll do more tests and code more demos to find the best way.

You can find more info in this excellent site:
https://chaotik.co.za/shootem-up-mechanics/

You can take a look on my little game here:
http://sardonic.planetaclix.pt/

LaceySnr

Postby LaceySnr » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:22 am

That makes a lot of sense... thanks for the code and the links, I'll dig in for sure!

Social Media

Return to “Coding”