What Happened To the Atari Hardware

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

Decky
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

What Happened To the Atari Hardware

Postby Decky » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:26 pm

I often wonder what happened to all the hardware companies were selling just prior to the Atari Market collapsing back in the 90's. Would they have dumped it, or is it in storage somewhere?
Atari STe 4Mb with TOS 1.62 / 2.06 Switchable, thanks to Techie Alison. UltraSatan, CosmosEx, Gotek

mlynn1974
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: What Happened To the Atari Hardware

Postby mlynn1974 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:39 pm

Good question. There is a topic on the number of Ataris sold over the years:
http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=27819
In 1993 I think retailers were selling the remaining STEs. Sometimes Comet would sell them as clearance items. High street retailers in the UK (Dixons) and mail order (Silica) had stock, were advertising and selling the Falcon.

However smaller retail chains were not stocking the Falcon in 1993-1994. Clydesdale Electrical in Scotland, for example, closed in 1994. I got my A1200 there for £180 and they stocked some Jaguars, but not Falcons.

Still, 13000-14000 Falcons sold with an additional 4164 units in stock is the last official number.

I think the unsold Jaguars were sold to wholesalers like Macro in the UK where I think they did a Jaguar + Doom pack for under £100.
Still got, still working: Atari 4Mb STe, 520STFM, 2.5Mb STF.
Hardware: Cumana CSA 354, Ultimate Ripper, Blitz Turbo, Synchro Express II (US and UK Versions).

penguin
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby penguin » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:21 pm

In Germany, Atari dealers would receive stock from other companies and Atari and would sell them until the end of the 90's. This also included software that was no longer in development like K-Spread 4. Selling Falcons and TT was not hard for obvious reasons. The other stuff (Portfolio, 8-bit computers, VCS 2600/7800) was often bundled, discounted and sold either by mail or at the late Atari shows. These bundles changed over time - I remember buying a Portfolio + PC Card Drive + a few memory cards for a low price. There were also bundles of ten Atari joysticks and joypads for a ridiculously low price.

It wasn't so much of a collapsing than a gradual decline, at least in Germany. The stock was neither dumped nor stored in a forgotten warehouse.
AtariUpToDate - Atari ST/TT/Falcon software database and version tracker: http://www.atariuptodate.de
st-computer magazine - https://st-computer.atariuptodate.de/

viking272
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby viking272 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:27 pm

In 1994/5 Silica Systems had about 30 (1 MB RAM/0MB HD) Falcons which Compo UK bought from them.
I remember Neal O'Nions coming back with a big smile on his face after doing the deal and they turned up later that week. One eventually became mine :)

Miguel
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby Miguel » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:59 pm

My local computer store was situated next to a huge musical instrument store and he was still selling Atari stuff for years after it was discontinued. We are talking late 90's here, you could walk in and walk out with a Falcon but towards the end all he had left was a pile of games stuff because that wasn't who was still buying the Atari gear....these days all the Atari gear has been stockpiled by people who use this forum :lol:

christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby christos » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:56 am

Atari Greece destroyed their inventory when they closed doors.
Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas.
My Atari blog

STOT Email address: stot(NoSPAM)atari(DOT)org

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”