I recently bought this piece of hardware:https://www.simulant.uk/shop/retro-vint ... compatible
After receiving the parcel last Thursday, I connected it to the Modem1 port of my Mega STE and ran Uniterm for the setup and first calls to several Telnet BBSes. The Atari and the "modem" work pretty well together. But then I had another idea. And from that point on I discovered some issues which I could not solve so far.
After calling a bunch of BBSes I thought I should try to revive my own BBS using the software I ran 30 years ago. So, I grabbed my latest backup media which were still readable without any errors and copied the old system onto the hard drive.
The wait for call screen came up without any errors and I could log in from my Windows PC using Telnet.
But I discovered some issues and maybe one of you can help me.
The "modem" is configured to 19200 baud, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit, no parity and RTS/CTS handshake. Same as the BBS software. I use HSMODEM, so the RTS/CTS bug should be solved. The "modem" is also configured to not automatically establish a connecion on any incoming ring. It waits for an ATA command.
The first issue is that after the BBS programme answers the call, the first character sent to the caller doesn't show up there. I can get around that issue by first sending CRLF. But I would like to know why it happens and would be glad about a possible solution if it is a configuration issue.
Next, the "modem" seems to ignore the DTR line. The BBS software clears DTR to force hanging up. That worked pretty well with real modems 30 years ago.
And, finally, the main issue I discovered is that the connection is not reliable. That means, during transmission several times parts of the data are choked. That means parts of the data sent doesn't make it to the Telnet client.
I checked the firmware version and it's 3.4.
Another issue is that I cannot update the firmware in the way the manual shows. The "modem" responses to do the update but then it quits with "ERROR".