Retro Wifi SI - practical experiences

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

Count
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Retro Wifi SI - practical experiences

Postby Count » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:36 pm

I recently bought this piece of hardware:
https://www.simulant.uk/shop/retro-vint ... compatible

After receiving the parcel last Thursday, I connected it to the Modem1 port of my Mega STE and ran Uniterm for the setup and first calls to several Telnet BBSes. The Atari and the "modem" work pretty well together. But then I had another idea. And from that point on I discovered some issues which I could not solve so far.

After calling a bunch of BBSes I thought I should try to revive my own BBS using the software I ran 30 years ago. So, I grabbed my latest backup media which were still readable without any errors and copied the old system onto the hard drive.

The wait for call screen came up without any errors and I could log in from my Windows PC using Telnet.

But I discovered some issues and maybe one of you can help me.

The "modem" is configured to 19200 baud, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit, no parity and RTS/CTS handshake. Same as the BBS software. I use HSMODEM, so the RTS/CTS bug should be solved. The "modem" is also configured to not automatically establish a connecion on any incoming ring. It waits for an ATA command.

The first issue is that after the BBS programme answers the call, the first character sent to the caller doesn't show up there. I can get around that issue by first sending CRLF. But I would like to know why it happens and would be glad about a possible solution if it is a configuration issue.

Next, the "modem" seems to ignore the DTR line. The BBS software clears DTR to force hanging up. That worked pretty well with real modems 30 years ago.

And, finally, the main issue I discovered is that the connection is not reliable. That means, during transmission several times parts of the data are choked. That means parts of the data sent doesn't make it to the Telnet client.

I checked the firmware version and it's 3.4.

Another issue is that I cannot update the firmware in the way the manual shows. The "modem" responses to do the update but then it quits with "ERROR".

Count
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Re: Retro Wifi SI - practical experiences

Postby Count » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:06 pm

Count wrote:Next, the "modem" seems to ignore the DTR line. The BBS software clears DTR to force hanging up. That worked pretty well with real modems 30 years ago.

I found a workaround for that issue:
1. clear DTR
2. wait two seconds
3. send "+++" to enter command mode
4. wait one second
5. send "ATH<CR>" to hang up

That works, but in my opinion simply clearing DTR should do the whole job.

czietz
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby czietz » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:17 pm

I suppose none of the "auxiliary" lines is implemented on that module / in the firmware.

Count
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby Count » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:29 pm

According to the documentation, RI and DCD should be. But I cannot confirm that by now.

ThorstenOtto
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby ThorstenOtto » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:29 pm

It can also be a matter of the cable being used. Not all of them have that line connected.

The first character not appearing might be an issue with the ATA command. Some modems want to see only a CR after it, some other CR/LF. Maybe your BBS only sends CR and the modem waits for the expected LF.

Count
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby Count » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:58 pm

The software sends CRLF. Every modem command (initialize, hook-off, dial, answer, hang-up) and response code (ok, ring, busy, no carrier) which are needed can be configured.

But maybe the cable I am using is too long. I found two cables (each 2 metres long): male/male and female/female. So, i had do stick them together which leads to four metres in total. According to what I found on the web, that should be no problem (19200 baud / 15 metres). But I cannot say anything about the quality of the cables.

I will give a single 1.8 metre cable a try, but that has to wait until Sunday.

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”