STFM Floppy Issues

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

Methanoid
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

STFM Floppy Issues

Postby Methanoid » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:46 pm

Hi

Can't resist buying STs on eBay (now owner of two STEs and an STFM). My new STFM produces a solid picture and keyboard works fine and it gets to desktop no issues but nothing loads on the FDD. Now I know they often fail but this doesn't seem to even be trying to read a disk.

If I insert a disk, I don't get any seek sounds but a continual low "rrrrrrr" noise like power is getting to the drive but the disk isnt spinning. Sure, I can fit a Gotek but I'd like to have a working FDD if poss. My STE's are off for some routine services like PSU recaps and I only have 5 or 6 disks to test with but I know they are okay to load.

Wondering if there are any sensible diagnostics I can try and any fixes short of a new drive (I really dont want a case mod job!)

DoG
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Re: STFM Floppy Issues

Postby DoG » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:40 pm

Try with diffrent drives or gotek to know if it is the drive or the STfm that is faulty.

Methanoid
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: STFM Floppy Issues

Postby Methanoid » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:45 pm

Thanks, I also note that when it gets to desktop there are no FDD icons at all!?

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”