Diagnose Monitor Related Fault

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

Methanoid
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Diagnose Monitor Related Fault

Postby Methanoid » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:47 am

I bought a clean STE from eBay with a known fault, described by the original owner as in the attached picture.

It sounds to me like some sort of grounding fault? But I admit I have no idea where to start. I have a multimeter with continuity buzzer. Can some experts give me some ideas where to start please? (I'm wondering if it is even safe to connect to a TV via SCART!!) :shrug:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

czietz
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: Diagnose Monitor Related Fault

Postby czietz » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:06 am

It would be helpful to find out what "will not power up" really means. A) Nothing happens, i.e., even power LED stays dark? B) Or does is in fact start (power LED, floppy access) and there's just nothing on the screen?

DoG
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby DoG » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:50 pm

Pics of the main board where the monitor connects would also be great.

Methanoid
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Methanoid » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:23 pm

DoG wrote:Pics of the main board where the monitor connects would also be great.

My mainboard is like this guys - viewtopic.php?t=3506 with the same bodge from the factory

Two pics attached. One is monitor area, one is modulator. Looks a little "dirty" on the modulator.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eQABTP ... sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kbGDzi ... sp=sharing

I'll connect and attempt power on now. :shrug:

siriushardware
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby siriushardware » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:05 pm

What the others said above, and also:

Try to reproduce the various states which were described.

-If you connect it to a TV via an RF lead out of the modulator, and tune it in on the TV, does it boot up OK and work?

-Leave the RF connection in place and the TV on, temporarily power down the STe, plug the monitor lead plug into the STe's monitor socket but do not plug the other end of the monitor lead into the monitor / TV. Turn on the STe, what happens, does it still boot normally, with the picture on the TV (via RF) looking OK?

If the answer to that was yes, now, power down, plug the other end of the monitor lead into a video monitor or TV - it can be the same TV you're using for monitoring the RF output if you only have the one TV, power back up - still watching the image being output via RF, does it still boot OK?

If the answer to that is also yes, now switch to the AV / SCART input on the TV/Monitor. If there's a picture, try rebooting the machine again. Does it boot back up OK?

Methanoid
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Methanoid » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:54 am

Doh... looks like the previous owner used this to get it fixed... I thought I had editted the post above but obviously it didnt "take"....

It works perfectly. Now I have two STEs :-)

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”