Atari 1040 STF - Black Screen

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

DamnedAngel
Atarian
Atarian

Atari 1040 STF - Black Screen

Postby DamnedAngel » Tue May 28, 2019 9:10 pm

Hi All,

I just bought a german Atari 1040 STF, and am totally newbie on the platform.

The seller warned me that the floppy drive is broken but otherwise the computer should work properly. I understand that without the drive the boot process should take longer, but still complete. I also understand that all STF models should be able to boot from the ROM.

When I turn on the computer, the screen goes white momentarily, and it blackens a second later. It might be my imagination, but I think it rapidly fills the black downwards, so it does not look something turning off, but actively colouring the screen black progressively.

After that, the screen keeps on black forever, even after the machine gives up accessing the floppy drive.

If I reset the computer, the screen gets white and after that it gets washed with a plethora of colourful vertical lines, and does not go black.

I plugged a speaker in the audio output and found out that the key press beep is working, so it seems that the machine is alive, despite not showing the screen properly.

I did not open the case yet, but am not afraid of doing so.

Any tips on how to start diagnosing the problem?

best regards,
DamnedAngel
Intellivision 1, Intellivision 2, Intellivision Sears, MSX1, MSX2, MSX2+, MSX2+ FPGA,TI99/4A, Amiga 500, Atari 1040STF, Exato Pro (Apple II Clone), TK2000 (Apple II Clone), TK85 (ZX-81 Clone), waiting for my Spectrum NEXT.

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Re: Atari 1040 STF - Black Screen

Postby spiny » Wed May 29, 2019 11:47 am

If you can hear the keyclick, then its probably the Shifter chip, as the ROMs and RAM are needed to get as far as running TOS. But pics of the screen corruption may help.

DamnedAngel
Atarian
Atarian

Re: Atari 1040 STF - Black Screen

Postby DamnedAngel » Wed May 29, 2019 1:52 pm

Thanks. I will provide pics/vids of the screen.
DamnedAngel
Intellivision 1, Intellivision 2, Intellivision Sears, MSX1, MSX2, MSX2+, MSX2+ FPGA,TI99/4A, Amiga 500, Atari 1040STF, Exato Pro (Apple II Clone), TK2000 (Apple II Clone), TK85 (ZX-81 Clone), waiting for my Spectrum NEXT.

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”