External Gotek on 520ST?

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

Mozartkugel
Retro freak
Retro freak

External Gotek on 520ST?

Postby Mozartkugel » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:55 am

Hi guys! I got an Atari 520ST for my birthday and I'm not very familiar with it yet so it's all a bit overwhelming.

Is there some easy way to connect a gotek drive externally on a 520ST? Perhaps some adapter to connect it to the external floppy drive port? Or does it have to be connected internally somehow? Or if not gotek, what would be the easiest floppy emulator to use with the 520ST?

I'm mainly going to use my ST for playing floppy games and try coding some game(s) for it later. What are the ST virtual floppy format(s)? I guess it's easy to put files resulting from some C compiler on a virtual ST floppy? Maybe some of them can even output floppy files or perhaps there's some nifty programs for doing it on pc?

Any help appreciated! [smilie=greencolorz4_pdt_17.gif]

ninjabuffy
Retro freak
Retro freak

Re: External Gotek on 520ST?

Postby ninjabuffy » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:01 am

Hi,
I replaced a 3.5 floppy in my SF314 and installed the Gotek there using spacers to get the floppy to align with the case opening. You need to twist the floppy cable and make sure Gotek is set on DS0.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=35661

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:33 am

That will set up the Gotek as drive B, and many (most?) games and demos will only work from drive A. To use the external drive as drive A on an ST with internal floppy you will have to make some simple modifications to the ST motherboard. I'd say it's easier to replace the internal drive with a Gotek.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

Mozartkugel
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Mozartkugel » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:56 am

Hey thanks for the info guys! [smilie=greencolorz4_pdt_17.gif]

I forgot to say that mine doesn't have an internal floppy drive. Is it still possible to get the gotek to work externally as drive A?

Also I forgot one very important question, does the gotek or any other floppy emulator emulate disk sounds? I find that very important for the correct feeling for example on my 1541 Ultimate on the c64. Yellow_Colorz_PDT_15

ninjabuffy
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby ninjabuffy » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:15 am

An Atari ST has no internal drive, Internal drives are found in be STF STFM or STE. If you use an external drive in a 520ST it will work as drive A without modifications.

From Gotek manual:
-----------------------
- Buzzer sound output -
-----------------------

You can connect a piezo or a magnetic buzzer to the JB jumper position.
A transistor is needed for the magnetic version.
The sound output can be disabled or enabled into the selector settings.

Good luck!

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:38 am

You probably know this already, but if you want to use a Gotek you must use a third-party firmware, like HxC or Flashfloppy.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

Mozartkugel
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Mozartkugel » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:52 am

ninjabuffy wrote:Hi,
I replaced a 3.5 floppy in my SF314 and installed the Gotek there using spacers to get the floppy to align with the case opening. You need to twist the floppy cable and make sure Gotek is set on DS0.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=35661

Hehee, looks nice! :D But I wouldn't want to gut my working floppy drive at this point

ninjabuffy wrote:An Atari ST has no internal drive, Internal drives are found in be STF STFM or STE. If you use an external drive in a 520ST it will work as drive A without modifications.

From Gotek manual:
-----------------------
- Buzzer sound output -
-----------------------

You can connect a piezo or a magnetic buzzer to the JB jumper position.
A transistor is needed for the magnetic version.
The sound output can be disabled or enabled into the selector settings.

Good luck!

Ah, nice, that's what I thought! I still didn't understand if there's some adapter or cable so that you can connect a gotek directly to the floppy port on the computer (without putting the gotek into a real floppy drive) or if you have to connect it somehow internally in the computer. I tried to search for a gotek manual, but there were so many different models that I din't have a clue which one would've been the correct one. :/

Woohoo! Floppy sounds! Yellow_Colorz_PDT_06

joska wrote:You probably know this already, but if you want to use a Gotek you must use a third-party firmware, like HxC or Flashfloppy.

Thanks, I didn't know that. I'll read up on that, I did see HxC mentioned in some other threads.

ninjabuffy
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby ninjabuffy » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:04 am

My guess is your best bet is to get another external drive with at least the floppy cable. Connect it to out on your current external drive. That way you could have both a 3.5" floppy and your Gotek. I have not tried this setup myself though.

Mozartkugel
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Mozartkugel » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:13 am

Thanks again ninjabuffy! Nggh, there doesn't seem to be one single external ST floppy drive for sale on the whole of ebay at the moment 8O I wonder if they've become expensive like most "retro computing stuff". Is the gotek the only floppy emulator option? What about ultrasatan, is that not capable of playing floppy games? Maybe I'll have to buy a pc floppy drive for copying games and use real floppies for now. I thought I even saw some external pc floppy drives that are compatible with atari st floppies.

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:19 am

Mozartkugel wrote:Thanks again ninjabuffy! Nggh, there doesn't seem to be one single external ST floppy drive for sale on the whole of ebay at the moment 8O I wonder if they've become expensive like most "retro computing stuff". Is the gotek the only floppy emulator option? What about ultrasatan, is that not capable of playing floppy games? Maybe I'll have to buy a pc floppy drive for copying games and use real floppies for now. I thought I even saw some external pc floppy drives that are compatible with atari st floppies.

I don't know where you are in the world, but a few on UK ebay right now:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/cumana-csa-3 ... ctupt=true

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Atari-520-10 ... SwG8ZcuNWo

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-5-External ... SwS~9cn5oP

any of those could be fitted with a Gotek device.

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:24 am

Mozartkugel wrote:Thanks again ninjabuffy! Nggh, there doesn't seem to be one single external ST floppy drive for sale on the whole of ebay at the moment 8O I wonder if they've become expensive like most "retro computing stuff". Is the gotek the only floppy emulator option? What about ultrasatan, is that not capable of playing floppy games? Maybe I'll have to buy a pc floppy drive for copying games and use real floppies for now. I thought I even saw some external pc floppy drives that are compatible with atari st floppies.

Utltrasatan is a Hard Drive, not a floppy emulator. There is software available to 'run' floppy images from hard drives, but it's extra work and not all games will work, some will require patching.

As for a PC floppy drive, most will work as long as you can change the drive ID. But, your original post isn't clear - do you have a floppy drive with cables at the moment ?

Mozartkugel
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Mozartkugel » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:03 am

spiny wrote:I don't know where you are in the world, but a few on UK ebay right now:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/cumana-csa-3 ... ctupt=true

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Atari-520-10 ... SwG8ZcuNWo

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-5-External ... SwS~9cn5oP

any of those could be fitted with a Gotek device.

Ah nice, thanks! I was only looking for SF314 and SF354.

spiny wrote:
Utltrasatan is a Hard Drive, not a floppy emulator. There is software available to 'run' floppy images from hard drives, but it's extra work and not all games will work, some will require patching.

As for a PC floppy drive, most will work as long as you can change the drive ID. But, your original post isn't clear - do you have a floppy drive with cables at the moment ?

Yeah, that's what I thought, actually I'd rather prefer the gotek for my needs.

Sorry if it wasn't clear, I have a SF314, so I could gut that one, but I think I would prefer to use one of those generic ones you linked rather than the nice looking SF314.

I think I might have some internal PC floppy drives in some of my old PC's in storage. I really should check those out.

Thanks again for the help! [smilie=greencolorz4_pdt_17.gif]

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”