What to do with a somewhat busted SF314 drive?

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

6BQ5
Atari User
Atari User

What to do with a somewhat busted SF314 drive?

Postby 6BQ5 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:29 am

I posted this question on the AtariAge forum but want to post here too so I can capture a wider audience. :)

I bought a SF314 drive from eBay sold as-is, untested. The drive formats disks, writes to them, and reads from them. However, a floppy written to on that drive cannot be read on the internal floppy drive of my 1040 STe. The heads must be misaligned somehow.

What can I do to get something functional from this SF314 without modifying my STe? Oh, and have some fun along the way? :)

Could I replace the drive mechanism with a 1.44MB or 720 kB drive from eBay?

Could I replace the mechanism with a floppy emulator? Maybe there is something out there that can give me a floppy of several MB or GB?

I would love to hear your ideas!

Boris

Atari 130XE
Atari 1040 STe

rcamp48
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Re: What to do with a somewhat busted SF314 drive?

Postby rcamp48 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:13 am

Do not hook up your floppy emulator if it is the power supply that I am thinking of , you got it from the same guy that offered it for sale recently and if I am not mistaken the power plug is a 5 pin din male connector , I have the same setup, and I fried 3 USB sticks while trying to connect my Gotek to it, the Gotek somehow got 12 volts and fried the USB sticks , is better to get a new drive with ds1 active on it , I am looking at a post right now that says how to rewire the external drive cable inside the external drive so that the drive works properly, you do not reverse the cable on the floppy drive the reason the motor spins forever is that it is getting 2 drive signals, one for drive A and one for drive B. I will post a link to the article that shows how to correctly rewire the cable inside the external floppy case so that both drives work. Russ

PS: I am working right now on the same thing.....
Call Spy Visits Spy BBS at Telnet 99.250.141.63
port 1989. BBS is up and running , but not all of the bugs ironed out. :megaphone:

rcamp48

Postby rcamp48 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:18 am

Here is the link to the post I am working on , and trying to find a simple way to do this:

http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=8309

That should help you , and do you have a PC drive to work with , PM me for my facebook or messenger id and we can work on it together...

Russ

This should help considerably from the post I linked, a picture is worth 100 words

atari drive.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Call Spy Visits Spy BBS at Telnet 99.250.141.63
port 1989. BBS is up and running , but not all of the bugs ironed out. :megaphone:

MiggyMog
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby MiggyMog » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:22 am

I have got the electronics of my external drive working with a zaxon microgotek , which needed a newer flashfloppy firmware. I too fried a couple of USB sticks because I stupidly mixed uo a couple of the USB wires and tried using the Original dusty black PSU. One or other , or both contributed to that... Anyway I ditched the PSU and used a butchered one from an an old phone charger to get the needed 5 volts, bypassing the Original power and just using the connector. It now works although it's not neatly in the case. That is another task, it would be nice to have floppy and gotek in same case with A / B.
('< o o o o |''| STM,2xSTFM,2xSTE+HD,C-Lab Falcon MK2+HD,Satandisk,Ultrasatandisk,Ethernat.

tjlazer
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby tjlazer » Wed May 08, 2019 8:31 pm

I would try a PC drive mech in it to see if it works. I used a Chinon FZ357 and Epson SMD-300/340 also works
Atari Computer Collector since 1984

From the 8-bit Atari 400 to the 32-bit Atari TT030!

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”