I just bought an Atari Mega ST4 with hard drive in it!

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

rcamp48
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Re: I just bought an Atari Mega ST4 with hard drive in it!

Postby rcamp48 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:55 am

Greenious: Is there a way to hook up an internal scsi drive in the Mega ST4, it does have an internal connector and unlike the Mega STE, its automatically turned on., I have a scsi drive that I would like to put in it. Russ
Call Spy Visits Spy BBS at Telnet 99.250.141.63
port 1989. BBS is up and running , but not all of the bugs ironed out. :megaphone:

Greenious
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Greenious » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:11 am

rcamp48 wrote:Greenious: Is there a way to hook up an internal scsi drive in the Mega ST4, it does have an internal connector and unlike the Mega STE, its automatically turned on., I have a scsi drive that I would like to put in it. Russ

Yes. However, I'm not aware of any current available SCSI-interface that can easily be hooked up inside the Mega ST. Maybe Inventroniks scsi interface is the closest, but you will have to make some kind of internal adapter yourself.
https://shop.inventronik.de/index.php (Also check out their GigaFile)

ICD had such an interface available at one point, called AdSCSI Micro ST, if you can find one.
http://www.icd.com/atari/
Updated my guides as of june 28th, 2016. Check'em out and feedback!
viewtopic.php?t=5040

rcamp48

Postby rcamp48 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:41 am

I got a problem Greenious: I have a case for an SF314, with the bottom part of an sf354 (just discovered that the interface is from an SF354). Is it modifyable to take a double sided drive ???? And I had it hooked up to my Gotek, which fried 3 USB sticks. I can almost bet that it somehow fed back 12 volts to the Gotek and fried the USB sticks, the Gotek is fine , it still displays HXC on it but I have no more USB sticks to test it with. Anyways if you could help me out with this one I would appreciate it ... Russ
Call Spy Visits Spy BBS at Telnet 99.250.141.63
port 1989. BBS is up and running , but not all of the bugs ironed out. :megaphone:

Greenious
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Greenious » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:41 pm

Strange, I know people succesfully replaced the SF354 drive for double sided drives with no problems, and modern drives don't use 12v, on gotek that pin should not be connected anywhere. So I am curious on how 12v could have made it's way to your USB port.

Could you post some pics of the board you are using? Maybe that can give some clues?
Updated my guides as of june 28th, 2016. Check'em out and feedback!
viewtopic.php?t=5040

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”