ATARI ST PSU REPLACEMENT ( Power supply unit )

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

C-Rem
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

ATARI ST PSU REPLACEMENT ( Power supply unit )

Postby C-Rem » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:18 am

Hi
After some tests i've found a cheap PSU ( around 13.5 euros with transport ) to replace our old damaged psu :

Here are some photos :

i've kept the downpart of the old psu + button and connector ..
2 welds to extend 220v wires + added a earth cable and bent a side of the new psu in order not to touch the keyboard

Everything is working nice on 2 ST here

CU

C-Rem

IMG_20180911_103140.jpg
IMG_20180911_103135.jpg
IMG_20180911_103110.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

C-Rem
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: ATARI ST PSU REPLACEMENT ( Power supply unit )

Postby C-Rem » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:25 am

Dammed .. i've received 3 messages error 500 ... but now there are 3 topics .. please admins remove the others
Regards

dhedberg
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby dhedberg » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:31 am

The error message is common at AF when you make a post, don't know why. The posts always seem to make it though.
Where do you buy these PSUs? Are they used or brand new?
Daniel, New Beat - http://newbeat.atari.org. Like demos? Have a look at our new Falcon030 demo MORE.

C-Rem
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby C-Rem » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:43 am

Hi Daniel!
Brand new on Ebay ... i dont give links cause it's not the purpose of this topic ( but if you write NED-35A meanwell / worlwide seller you should found it )

dhedberg
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby dhedberg » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:47 am

Thanks. Have to say that I find it scary with the mains cables routed to the front of the PSU though, so close to the keyboard.
Daniel, New Beat - http://newbeat.atari.org. Like demos? Have a look at our new Falcon030 demo MORE.

C-Rem
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby C-Rem » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:54 am

If you look carrefully you can see that all connectors of the new psu are protected by (black) plastic guards on each sides ... it's not possible to touch the keyboard

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:27 am

C-Rem wrote:If you look carrefully you can see that all connectors of the new psu are protected by (black) plastic guards on each sides ... it's not possible to touch the keyboard

Unless I'm not seeing it properly, it's literally a millimetre from the shield metal. Not to speak about accidental touching the screws. That's a disaster asking to happen. I'd advise to insulate it much better.

C-Rem
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby C-Rem » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:04 pm

Hi Mikro
To have a proper insulate is always important ... in our case ..i agree that the 2 x 220V terminals can be protected with a fixed plastic guard .. 5V and 12V are low volatges so protect it if you wish ... earth of the new psu is connected to the main earth of the ST ( so same potential ) ... and if you look carefully on photo 1 you can see that you've a lot more than 1mm from any other metal parts

Bonus :there is a metal shied around componants .. it's better than old or new Atari psu sold atm

IMPORTANT : When somebody open an electronic advise there is danger ... i think/hope that most of the people that starts this kind of modifications are well aware of it ( we are in the hardware section no ? )

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”