NetUSBee USB drivers download

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

displaced
Atari freak
Atari freak

Re: NetUSBee USB drivers download

Postby displaced » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:07 pm

Perdrix24 wrote:It should work. Try removing accessories. Not likely, but try also usb.prg from the ST folder of the drivers, in case yours is corrupted. They really are the same.

A-ha! It was SERIAL.CPX that was breaking it. Working great now - thanks!

Perdrix24
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Perdrix24 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:44 pm

Good! Interesting about SERIAL.CPX. We know there is a conflict between STiNG and the USB drivers, when STiNG is configured to use the NetUSBee ethernet.

stormy
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby stormy » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:26 pm

Just a heads up to people trying to get this to work! 1. Check the readme to make sure you sort the auto programs in the correct order and 2. flash drive support is VERY picky, I had to try 4 different types of USB stick before it worked, and when taking into account that you have to partition them in Linux to get Fat16 with a maximum partition of 2gb makes for a LOT of trial and error.
Falcon ct60e 060 - 256mb ram - phantom bus and dsp accel // Atari TT - Thunder and Storm IDE 64mb ram - Lightning VME - USB LAN - Ati Mach64 2mb // Atari STM 4160 - 4MB ram - 16Mhz exxos 1.5 booster - Ultrasatan

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:25 pm

Perdrix24 wrote:The super-latest version of mouse.prg supports the scroll wheel: https://bintray.com/freemint/freemint/d ... sb4tos.zip

But not for all mouse wheels (too long story). Try it and report if it works for you! The wheel mimics arrow up and down; also the third button, often the wheel pressed down, mimics the Enter key.

Normally, you can use the drivers without a hard disk, by booting from floppy.

Ah, I tried out the drivers and unfortunately, my mouse wheel isn't working. :( The wheel button works though when I click down on it.

But the mouse itself works great. I didn't load the usbtool.acc and the mouse still worked. I guess it is only needed for usb-storage or hot-swapping mice?

If I just want mouse support, I wouldn't need the STORAGE.PRG in the auto folder would I? But I would need the other three MOUSE.PRG, USB.PRG, and NETUSBEE.PRG, correct?

Perdrix24
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Perdrix24 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:44 pm

TheNameOfTheGame wrote:
Ah, I tried out the drivers and unfortunately, my mouse wheel isn't working. :( The wheel button works though when I click down on it.

But the mouse itself works great. I didn't load the usbtool.acc and the mouse still worked. I guess it is only needed for usb-storage or hot-swapping mice?

If I just want mouse support, I wouldn't need the STORAGE.PRG in the auto folder would I? But I would need the other three MOUSE.PRG, USB.PRG, and NETUSBEE.PRG, correct?

Correct, don't forget the order, so it's USB.PRG, MOUSE.PRG and NETUSBEE.PRG. A long term project is to load the drivers on demand, ie. only have USB.PRG and NETUSBEE.PRG at boot.

USBTOOL.ACC is just to allow hot-swap, and to display the devices attached.

The wheel mouse of my two wireless Logitech mice work. Another (very) long term project is to make all mice work by supporting the HID report protocol.

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:36 pm

Great, I look forward to the project moving forward. Yes, I have the order right in my AUTO folder. If I get a mouse that has the wheel working correctly, is there a way to adjust the stepping of the scrolling, like 2 or 3 arrow up/down messages per scroll or is it limited to just 1?

Perdrix24
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Perdrix24 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:29 am

TheNameOfTheGame wrote:Great, I look forward to the project moving forward. Yes, I have the order right in my AUTO folder. If I get a mouse that has the wheel working correctly, is there a way to adjust the stepping of the scrolling, like 2 or 3 arrow up/down messages per scroll or is it limited to just 1?

It's dynamic. The faster you turn the wheel, the more lines are scrolled. It starts at 1 line per 'notch' turned. I have a free-wheeling Logitech wireless mouse and it can scroll pretty fast.

The wheel on my two wireless Logitech mice work, while a wired Logitech mouse doesn't work.

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:53 am

Hmm, my mouse is wired also. I wonder if anyone has luck with a wired mouse and could post the model number?

Perdrix24
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Perdrix24 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:28 am

TheNameOfTheGame wrote:Hmm, my mouse is wired also. I wonder if anyone has luck with a wired mouse and could post the model number?

Kensington wired mouse model 72111: scroll-wheel & 3rd button work
IBM wired mouse model MO28UO: scroll-wheeel & 3rd button work

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:55 am

Thanks, I'll look around for one of those mice.

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:16 am

IBM mouse arrived and it's working great. Scroll wheel works too. Would like the scroll stepping to be even higher, it's still a little slow to go up and down directories and documents even with the dynamic scaling. But overall this is amazing to use my Atari with a usb mouse and scrollwheel! Thanks so much for the work on this project. :cheers:

Perdrix24
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Perdrix24 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:31 am

TheNameOfTheGame wrote:IBM mouse arrived and it's working great. Scroll wheel works too. Would like the scroll stepping to be even higher, it's still a little slow to go up and down directories and documents even with the dynamic scaling. But overall this is amazing to use my Atari with a usb mouse and scrollwheel! Thanks so much for the work on this project. :cheers:

Excellent! Glad to hear this. I took note of your suggestion to increase stepping, or make it adjustable.

rcamp48
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby rcamp48 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:29 am

I now have my new NetUSBEE set up too on a Mega ST4 with 4 megs ram, and an AdSApeed 16 Mhz Booster, which programs do I use with it , ST or something else? Cant seem to get it running properly it says USB NOt Loaded
Call Spy Visits Spy BBS at Telnet 99.250.141.63
port 1989. BBS is up and running , but not all of the bugs ironed out. :megaphone:

Perdrix24
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Perdrix24 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:46 am

rcamp48 wrote:I now have my new NetUSBEE set up too on a Mega ST4 with 4 megs ram, and an AdSApeed 16 Mhz Booster, which programs do I use with it , ST or something else? Cant seem to get it running properly it says USB NOt Loaded

I assume you downloaded the package in the first post. Carefully read the README.TXT file in it. Yes, you need the programs in the ST/TOSMAGIC folder, and the order in the AUTO folder is important. Create an AUTO folder on your boot drive and copy the files one by one, in this order: USB.PRG, MOUSE.PRG, STORAGE.PRG, NETUSBEE.PRG.

6BQ5
Atari User
Atari User

Postby 6BQ5 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:57 am

Sorry for jumping in here ... is there a single all-encompassing document that describes the installation and configuration of the NetUSBee with a storage device? I ask because I recently bought a 520 STe on the cheap and discovered it has a “bad” DMA chip based on the part number. It looks like a NetUSBee is in my future but I would like to find out more about how to get it working, especially how to partition the USB storage device. I have HD Driver on my 1040 STe.

Thanks!! :)

Boris

Atari 130XE
Atari 1040 STe

Perdrix24
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Perdrix24 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:19 am

6BQ5 wrote:Sorry for jumping in here ... is there a single all-encompassing document that describes the installation and configuration of the NetUSBee with a storage device? I ask because I recently bought a 520 STe on the cheap and discovered it has a “bad” DMA chip based on the part number. It looks like a NetUSBee is in my future but I would like to find out more about how to get it working, especially how to partition the USB storage device. I have HD Driver on my 1040 STe.

Thanks!! :)

It's very easy with HDDriver's HDDRUTIL program. Make sure you update to the latest version. I have 10.11. You'll see your USB key in the 'Available Devices' window. Choose 'Partition' from the menu, you'll see the screen in USB1.jpg attached. For maximum compatibility, I just create one 512MB partition and click the 'Compatibility' button and configure it as in usb2.jpg. The USB key will then also be readable under Windows and Mac. You may want to create several partitions if you just want to use it as your hard drive.

One thing I didn't try, if I boot from floppy, with the USB drivers first and then HDDriver, can we choose a partition on the USB key to boot from?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LaceySnr

Postby LaceySnr » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:16 am

Perdrix24 wrote:For maximum compatibility, I just create one 512MB partition and click the 'Compatibility' button and configure it as in usb2.jpg. The USB key will then also be readable under Windows and Mac. You may want to create several partitions if you just want to use it as your hard drive.

Have you had much luck with more than one partition? I was playing around last night (not for long) with the newest version of HDDriver and a USB stick. First partition works perfectly, second one won't mount under TOS but shows fine in Windows.

Perdrix24
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Perdrix24 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:37 pm

LaceySnr wrote:
Perdrix24 wrote:For maximum compatibility, I just create one 512MB partition and click the 'Compatibility' button and configure it as in usb2.jpg. The USB key will then also be readable under Windows and Mac. You may want to create several partitions if you just want to use it as your hard drive.

Have you had much luck with more than one partition? I was playing around last night (not for long) with the newest version of HDDriver and a USB stick. First partition works perfectly, second one won't mount under TOS but shows fine in Windows.

I remember having more than one partition at one point, but because I can only use one (I have drives already mapped up to N: and CD Recorder on P:), I only have one (O:).

I remember working on the Mega ST, having four partitions but when I put the USB key in the Mac, it created four more if I recall correctly, perhaps to retain compatibility. Try partitioning again, just use TOS, to see if your partitions show. Then put the USB key in Windows and back to TOS to see if there's a difference.

mpattonm
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby mpattonm » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:19 pm

I have built my NetUSBee today and took a time to test it with drivers from this thread. I was stunned how solid USB flashdrive support is. Finally, I have a nice and convenient way to tranfer files between Ataris and a Win world. Thank you!
The USB mouse support works equaly as well, as far as I can say. However, I have encountered issue with hotplug. It seems to work perfectly for either flashdrives alone on USB, or when its just USB mouse alone connected. When there is a flashdrive and mouse connected simultaneously, you can only safely hotplug flashdrive. As soon as you try to remove/replug the mouse, the system simply "freezes".

jd
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby jd » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:00 pm

LaceySnr wrote:

I think with HDDRIVER (v8 ish i think) is if you have a windows/tos compatible partition only the first will work hence why it recommends you partition the whole drive as one partition.

6BQ5
Atari User
Atari User

Postby 6BQ5 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:06 am

I received my NetUSBee from Lotharek today and tested it with a 16 GB San Disk USB storage device.

I am running a 1040 STe upgraded to 4 MB and it has TOS 2.06 installed.

I formatted a floppy, created a folder named AUTO on it, and copied all the driver files in the order stated inside the README.TXT file. My STe booted just fine and the drivers recognized the USB device. I used HDDRIVER v10 to created 512 MB partitions, up to letter P:. This ends up only utilizing half of the USB device. No problem ... I understand this is a limitation of TOS 2.06.

I rebooted the machine and placed Desktop icons for drives C: through P:. Each drive is accessible. I copied my entire Megafile 30 (upgraded with an additional ST-277R drive) several times over. Moving the USB drive to my Win 10 PC I can see all my partitions (plus extra Q:, R:, S:, T:, ... ) and added some "big" JPG files.

Then I ran into the dreaded "40-folder" glitch that requires the FOLDRxxx.PRG patch. I added to the AUTO file but found out it must be loaded before any of the USB drivers. No problem. I created a new boot disk and copied FOLDR800.PRG to the AUTO folder first. Then I added all the USB driver. After rebooting my STe I can seemingly access everything on my artificially bloated C: drive.

I do notice the drive access is slower than my Megafile but it's still faster than a floppy.

Obviously, I need to use this set up much more to gain confidence in performance and integrity. Still, this is a good first step. I was up and running within minutes. Oh, and the USB drivers recognize the TOS&DOS partitions created by HDDRIVER all by themselves. I did not need to install HDDRIVER onto the USB based C: drive.

If you can't use UltraSatan then this may be a good alternative.

Two questions :

1) How have others partitioned their drives? Did you try getting around the native limits of your TOS?

2) Where in the world did all those extra letters come from? I'm guessing it's Win 10 just making them up from the left over space. Not sure why.

Time for sleep now. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Boris

Atari 130XE
Atari 1040 STe

mfro
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby mfro » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:31 am

6BQ5 wrote:Then I ran into the dreaded "40-folder" glitch that requires the FOLDRxxx.PRG patch. I added to the AUTO file but found out it must be loaded before any of the USB drivers. No problem.

With HDDRIVER, there is no need for FOLDRXXX.PRG (the same applies to CACHEXXX.PRG as well). HDDRIVER can do the same for you: Settings->Basic Settings allows you to configure memory for additional folders just fine.

6BQ5
Atari User
Atari User

Postby 6BQ5 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:13 pm

Does this memory configuration get written into the partition during the partition creation process? Or, does it require loading the HDDRIVER driver during boot-up?

Right now I am using what must be internal/native drivers in the NetUSBee hardware and software. It’s those entities that gave me the “out of memory” error.

Thanks for the tip though! I didn’t know about that feature in HDDRIVER. :)

Boris

Atari 130XE
Atari 1040 STe

Perdrix24
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Perdrix24 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:12 pm

Look in first post for updated package (NETUSB04.ZIP). Changes: Added keyboard and printer drivers. Mouse wheel scrolling more dynamic. Updated storage driver for card readers. Updated documentation. Updated usbtool.acc (devices without drivers greyed out).

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:26 pm

Wow, big update! Thanks so much!

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”