Atari 520STFM joystick port fault

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

Atarinewbie77
Atarian
Atarian

Atari 520STFM joystick port fault

Postby Atarinewbie77 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:10 am

Hi!

Todays my bitrthday and my wife surprised with my childhood dream machine, a lovely boxed Atari 520stfm.. she said she’d tested it when arrived and the games loaded fine BUT what she didnt do was test the joystick!

I plugged in a joystick, loaded up nebulous and i can fire, move left but cant move right. I tried swapping ports and on the other I can move right but cant move left.

I tried booting to the desktop to test the mouse and it wouldn’t move at all so I wiggled the wire and by holding it in a certain position it moved around the screen but neither button seems to work.

Ive done a little research and im thinking the solder points probably need resoldering or could it be something else? I saw one video where a guy replaced a chip at the same time as resoldering the connectors but I cant rem what he replaced..

Any advice very welcome as im dying to try it all out! I mod sega master systems and patch games for it so my soldering skills are okay. I just need to know what to do exactly, a good video guide would be useful,

Thanks

Marc

Atarinewbie77
Atarian
Atarian

Re: Atari 520STFM joystick port fault

Postby Atarinewbie77 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:05 pm

A quick pic of what I got :)

tzok
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby tzok » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:16 pm

Typical issue for the STf/e keyboards. Resoldering ports should do the job. Just use good flux, and leaded solder.

Atarinewbie77
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Atarinewbie77 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:43 am

Cheers, i thought so, ill give it a go! :)

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:27 pm

And test the joystick on some other system. Maybe it is not the ST but the joystick (happened way too often for me in the past)
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

Atarinewbie77
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Atarinewbie77 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:54 pm

simonsunnyboy wrote:And test the joystick on some other system. Maybe it is not the ST but the joystick (happened way too often for me in the past)

I tried that, the joystick as a switch to change between atari, sega, commodore etc and it works fine on my master system. I also tried a sega master system pad with the same result, ill get soldering this week and cross my fingers lol

Cheers

Atarinewbie77
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Atarinewbie77 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:09 pm

:cheers: success!! Took the keyboard out and found the problem, the solder was do dry only a few pins were still attached!

It all now works brilliantly, nice to find the screw sticker still intact so i know its never been messed with. The atari was very clean inside which was a big plus.

So now 30 years after getting an Atari 65xe for christmas I get the computer I dreamed of :D

I was going to install a gotek drive but decided not to, ill just buy the odd game that takes my fancy that way ill def play it.

tjlazer
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby tjlazer » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:31 am

Get Floppy Image and an older PC with built in floppy drive and copy any MSA or ST image to a real 720k disk!
Atari Computer Collector since 1984

From the 8-bit Atari 400 to the 32-bit Atari TT030!

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”