Seltos vs Physical Roms

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

jamesfmackenzie
Atari freak
Atari freak

Seltos vs Physical Roms

Postby jamesfmackenzie » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:18 am

I have a Mega ST with TOS 1.02, and I’m currently using SELTOS to bootstrap TOS 2.06 and workaround some of the bugs/issues in TOS 1.02

What are the advantages/disadvantages of this approach? I am missing out on anything by not having newer TOS ROMs?

Kind regards,

James

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: Seltos vs Physical Roms

Postby joska » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:04 am

The advantage is low price. Disadvantages: Slow booting, RAM usage.

I would highly recommend getting a MonSTer for you Mega - when/if Alan makes a new batch. Not only does it have flashable ROMs, it also has 8Mb alt-RAM and an IDE interface. More RAM is very welcome when using a graphics card like you do, as the higher resolution eats a lot more RAM.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

jamesfmackenzie
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby jamesfmackenzie » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:53 pm

joska wrote:The advantage is low price. Disadvantages: Slow booting, RAM usage.

I would highly recommend getting a MonSTer for you Mega - when/if Alan makes a new batch. Not only does it have flashable ROMs, it also has 8Mb alt-RAM and an IDE interface. More RAM is very welcome when using a graphics card like you do, as the higher resolution eats a lot more RAM.

Thanks Jo! A few newbie questions on the Monster:

1. How to install both the MonSTer and graphics card together (looks like they both use the same MegaBus slot?)

2. Can you use any IDE disk drive with the MonSTer? I have some old laptop drives. Also, how do you power the IDE devices?

Kind regards,
James

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:58 pm

The MonSTer is installed on top of the CPU, not on the MegaBus. Yes, you *can* do that via an adapter but you don't *have* to.

As for IDE, the MonSTer has 44 pin IDE connectors which is the same as on laptop IDE drives. Just connect them with a 44 pin cable. 44 pin IDE drives are powered via the IDE cable, no extra wiring needed.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”