PC = UltraSatan + No Floppy

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

tsmvp
Atarian
Atarian

PC = UltraSatan + No Floppy

Postby tsmvp » Fri May 25, 2018 9:54 pm

Gents,

My apologies if this is a newbie question but I am indeed a newbie regarding Atari ST matters due to spending way more time than I would like on my MSX2. :lol:
Here is the deal. Atari 520STFM here. From what I can tell, it is running TOS 1.06 (Black Atari Logo, copyright says 1986-1987). Floppy does work (as I replaced the bad one with the exact same one, off eBay).
So I got one UltraSatan from Lotharek. Came with an SD Card for whatever reason, 16GB. Windows cannot see anything. The ST does not see anything either.
I tried following the guide posted in the forum here but I have no floppy drive at all on ANY PC at home. So all I have is a working floppy on my ST and a 16GB SD Card that of course I can do whatever is needed on the PC. But if I need the HDDRIVER or similar in a floppy and I have no floppy on any PC I assume I hit a road block.
Is that indeed the case? :shrug:
Any way to get this going somehow? Like getting some image I can restore to the SD card that would have whatever driver is needed even in demo mode? I do not mind at all buying the HDDRIVER but it seems I can indeed get it but would have no way to load it on the Atari due to not having a floppy on my PCs.

Thanks!

CR

tsmvp
Atarian
Atarian

Re: PC = UltraSatan + No Floppy

Postby tsmvp » Fri May 25, 2018 10:42 pm

Update: I contacted Uwe (HDDRIVER) and he pointed me to an image that in theory I can write to the card and then use the card on the UltraSatan. No go. Both images he provides on his website do not work at all with my hardware. Now, what can I do to troubleshoot this? How to determine if the UltraSatan is working? Or if the SD Card has whatever it is supposed to be there?

Thanks a lot guys.

CR

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Sat May 26, 2018 10:58 am

Install Hatari on your PC. Create a 16Gb disk image. Partition and install driver on it using HD-Driver. Write the disk image to your SD-card.
Your STFM has TOS 1.02. Make sure not to exceed the 1.02 partition size when you partition the disk image.
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

tsmvp
Atarian
Atarian

Postby tsmvp » Sat May 26, 2018 5:04 pm

joska wrote:Install Hatari on your PC. Create a 16Gb disk image. Partition and install driver on it using HD-Driver. Write the disk image to your SD-card.
Your STFM has TOS 1.02. Make sure not to exceed the 1.02 partition size when you partition the disk image.

Thanks a lot!
I ended up getting the full HDDRIVER and once I used a proper power supply with the UltraSatan, it seems to boot just fine. My issue now is I cannot unzip anything. The STZIP app on the SD Card complains not having enough memory what seems odd. The machine does have 512KB indeed, what is not much, but I cannot imagine that Atari, back in the day, shipped a computer that could not run anything, including a compression utility.
Is that indeed the case? Or is it just HDDRIVER using way too much memory with nothing left for apps?

Thanks a lot for this reply. Got HATARI up and will play with it first before dumping stuff on another SD Card.

CR

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”