Reset button not working on STF

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

mlynn1974
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Reset button not working on STF

Postby mlynn1974 » Thu May 10, 2018 12:20 am

Hi,
I tested my 2.5Mb STF a few weeks ago and the reset button is not working. The spring is OK and the button returns to its normal position but it doesn't cause a reset. I haven't opened the machine recently but was wondering if anyone has seen this problem before or what the solution could be.
Still got, still working: Atari 4Mb STe, 520STFM, 2.5Mb STF.
Hardware: Cumana CSA 354, Ultimate Ripper, Blitz Turbo, Synchro Express II (US and UK Versions).

Greenious
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: Reset button not working on STF

Postby Greenious » Thu May 10, 2018 12:46 am

The reset button on the Atari is, tbh, a very crude construction. From your desription I'd say oxidization s the culprit. How has it been stored?

Edit: Actually, it could also be a broken pin. the construct has L-shaped pins to the mobo, and you can easily break one and the button itself would still seem to be ok, as you described.
Updated my guides as of june 28th, 2016. Check'em out and feedback!
viewtopic.php?t=5040

mlynn1974
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Reset button not working on STF

Postby mlynn1974 » Thu May 10, 2018 11:05 pm

Thanks Greenious! The STF has been stored in a warm, dry room sitting on it's edge with the floppy drive facing up. I really should put it in a box with a dust cover. I might have time to open it up over the weekend and see if there's anything obvious. I'll check the L-shaped pins.
Still got, still working: Atari 4Mb STe, 520STFM, 2.5Mb STF.
Hardware: Cumana CSA 354, Ultimate Ripper, Blitz Turbo, Synchro Express II (US and UK Versions).

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”