Modem midi - how to set up in Cubase and Notator?

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

Chandler
Atari God
Atari God

Modem midi - how to set up in Cubase and Notator?

Postby Chandler » Tue May 01, 2018 8:34 pm

Has anyone used one of those modem midi devices? it plugs into the modem port on the back of the ST and allows another 64 midi channels? (a lit like the EXPORT device but modem midi only has 1 x midi OUT)

Anyway does anyone know how to set it up in Cubase and Notator?

Atari74user
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Modem midi - how to set up in Cubase and Notator?

Postby Atari74user » Tue May 01, 2018 8:51 pm

Hi, for Cubase you should be able to use the Export driver, using Export 1 output. Never tried it the other way around, but Notator has it's 'MIDI add ons' built in, so potentially Notator should just pick it up, again seeing as an Export, but of course with the use of just one of the MIDI B, C or D ports, I imagine B.
Atari Falcon 14mb, 68882, Dual 8gb CF, Steinberg FDI & Analog 8
Atari Jaguar, Rotary controller, Skunkboard & Cat Box
Atari 520STFM 4mb, TOS 2.06 switcher, OverScan, GigaFile, PARCP-USB, Unicorn-USB, System Solutions MiniS HD, SyQuest drives, ICD Link II, PhatBoy MIDI Controller, Philip Rees 5M MIDI merge box, SoundPool MO4, Steinberg MIDEX, SMP II, Emagic Log 3, C-Lab Unitor 2, Combiner & Export expanders

Chandler
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Chandler » Tue May 01, 2018 9:15 pm

ok thanks for the info

So where is the Export 1 output option within Cubase?

Atari74user
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Atari74user » Wed May 02, 2018 6:56 am

Hi, have you installed the MROS Export driver? See AMN site, use the Download MROS link. Place the MROS folder, if you don't already have one, I am sure you do, in Cubase. If you do, just copy the Export driver to your Cubase MROS folder, and rename the extension DRV from DR to activate it. Reset for good measure, and your Export MIDI driver should be available for selection under Outputs in Cubase.

http://atarimusic.exxoshost.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=233:steinberg-cubase-midi-sequencer&catid=59:atari-music-software&Itemid=213
Atari 520STFM 4mb, TOS 2.06 switcher, OverScan, GigaFile, PARCP-USB, Unicorn-USB, System Solutions MiniS HD, SyQuest drives, ICD Link II, PhatBoy MIDI Controller, Philip Rees 5M MIDI merge box, SoundPool MO4, Steinberg MIDEX, SMP II, Emagic Log 3, C-Lab Unitor 2, Combiner & Export expanders

Chandler
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Chandler » Thu May 03, 2018 8:04 am

Yes i have the drivers installed etc, i just can't see how to set it up in Cubase

Can anyone take a screen shot or something?

Atari74user
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Atari74user » Thu May 03, 2018 6:15 pm

Hi, so if installed correctly, just renaming your chosen driver in the MROS folder from .DV to .DRV, then it should show in the Output dropdown. So in the image below, look on the left hand side and you have Instrument where you can name your instrument that is assigned to a certain output. The Output dropdown is where any driver (inc. the Atari MIDI out) will be actively shown providing it has been renamed with the .DRV extension. If you have done so with Export, it will show there.

Atarieterno
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Atarieterno » Thu May 03, 2018 6:35 pm

MIDI en puerto módem.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ST/fm/e, STacy, Mega ST/e, TT, Falcon, C-Lab MKX... and more music tools.

Chandler
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Chandler » Fri May 04, 2018 12:28 pm

OK thanks, i can now see the Xport options in Cubase after renaming the driver to .DRV

next question is how do i hook up a keyboard with the midi out?

EG: if i use the regular midi IN and OUT on the side of the Atari into the IN and OUT on a keyboard, i can see the I and O (midi IN and OUT) in Cubase, the black line flashes as i hit a key

So how do i get this to work with the modem midi OUT?

IE: i want to know the modem midi works so i want to see some kind of midi data pass through it

Any ideas? :)

Atari74user
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Atari74user » Fri May 04, 2018 10:14 pm

Cool that's good! Good question actually, so this is where you will need a MIDI in. So you can sync sequences made on an external MIDI equipment with your MIDI out port using the Export driver. However to press a key on your keyboard and see the MIDI in event, you need an extra MIDI in to use the modem MIDI out in the same manner. So you either need 'Atari' MIDI peripheral that gives you extra MIDI ins, or a MIDI merge box to connect to your Atari MIDI in, and 'split your MIDI in signal.

Depending on your set up, the alternative if you have multiple MIDI devices is to daisy chain them, providing they have MIDI thru. So MIDI out of Atari, to MIDI in 'Synth 1', MIDI thru of Synth 1 to MIDI in of Synth 2 etc... The last one on the chain you connect the MIDI out to Atari MIDI in. However this way you would not be using your modem MIDI out.

Just food for thought...

charles
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Postby charles » Sat May 05, 2018 12:04 am

are those modem devices just hard thru?
no extra circuits
basically could use a couple crimp connectors and a spare 5 pin din?
atari is my lifestyle,not a hobby.
HOLD ON ! ! !,
Im printing unreadable characters ...!

Atari74user
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Atari74user » Sat May 05, 2018 8:19 am

Either extra MIDI ins or extra MIDI thrus I would personally go for a MIDI thru or MIDI merge box. Only because I am a bit crap with DIY electronics, I have to be told in a paint by numbers manner :roll:

MIDI thru is by and large extra circuitry, but it is possible to make a MIDI out double up as a MIDI thru, like the Atari MIDI out, however you are then getting into the grounds of non MIDI standards, and that can cause MIDI issues, if another manufacture also decides to deviate from MIDI standards.

The MIDI cables section here gives some insight to non MIDI standard and Atari: https://www.atarimagazines.com/startv4n12/insoutsofmidi.html

Chandler
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Chandler » Sun May 06, 2018 2:11 pm

Could i use a Midex to test this modem midi?

Foxie
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Foxie » Sun May 06, 2018 2:47 pm

charles wrote:are those modem devices just hard thru?
no extra circuits
basically could use a couple crimp connectors and a spare 5 pin din?

It's an independent output, separate from the Atari's MIDI output. But it's very, very simple!

Atari MIDI out.png

Export is a little more complicated. It uses the two handshaking outputs on the modem port to select which of the three ports to address. Of course that means you can't send data out of all three outputs simultaneously. That's where Export gets its bad reputation from. But for Cubase on an 8MHz Atari, Cubase is often too slow to send data out of multiple MIDI outs simultaneously anyway. Notator may be better.

C-lab export schematic.png

The connection between pin 4 and pin 8 on the modem port may be used by Notator to detect the Export. If you have a modem->MIDI cable that isn't working, try making that connection.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Miguel
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby Miguel » Sun May 06, 2018 3:46 pm

I still use a modem MIDI cable I built ages ago. There isn't much to it at all and the more expensive Export would only give decent timing on one output anyway. To test your modem MIDI cable simply plug it into the MIDI input of your keyboard instead of plugging the Atari's MIDI out into your keyboard.

Foxie
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Foxie » Sun May 06, 2018 7:47 pm

It's also possible to get an extra MIDI input through the modem port. You need to do a small modification inside the Atari. One cut trace and one wire soldered. It needs a new Cubase driver to support it, which I can make if anyone is interested in doing the modification.

The actual input socket can be connected in a few ways. With an extra two wires soldered, you can use an Amiga MIDI interface in the modem port. You could build your own interface between the modem port and MIDI. Or you could bring two MIDI inputs into the Atari's MIDI input socket by using a break out cable.

Atari74user
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Atari74user » Mon May 07, 2018 3:22 pm

Chandler wrote:Could i use a Midex to test this modem midi?

So to answer simply, yes. You can do a couple of things, going back to your question 'how to I get I MIDI signal when I press a key on my keyboard using a modem MIDI interface', whichever one you use.

Just so happens, this weekend, after a move, my Atari studio is gaining momentum, so I have been plugging most things together and testing stuff out. It's too nice weather this UK holiday weekend to solely do that, so I have been popping out and reluctantly have been gardening. I use that term loosely, but hey it's nice and sunny.

Back to my point, I have an Export and another MIDI modem interface which I got with Breakthru V2 Plus way back when. As I am patching audio and MIDI this weekend, I decided to plug in my MIDI modem interface instead of Export. A couple of things you can do:

1. Exactly as you say, if you want to use the Modem MIDI out, you can use it with any MIDI in, Atari, MIDEX, whatever. That way you will get you MIDI in event when you press a key for the synth you have plugged into your MIDI modem interface. Out of MIDI modem to MIDI in synth, and MIDI out of synth to MIDI in of MIDEX or whatever.

2. If you have a couple of synths, one with at least a keyboard, your main synth can be plugged into your Atari, a second synth can be plugged into your MIDI modem interface, Out to In of synth of course. If you select Xport 1 in Cubase, then go to your main synth and press a key, your second synth will play, and the MIDI in event is recognised because of the key event being pressed on your main synth. What you can't do with this method, is press a key on your second synth and record a MIDI in event. This is good however if your second synth is a rack synth.

So a couple of options for you.

edingacic
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby edingacic » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:46 pm

I am interested to know more about this Breakthru V2 Plus sequencer. Does it work with TT030 and where can I get it? Is it dongle protected?

Atari74user
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Atari74user » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:49 pm

Hi edingaclc, you may be able to use it with the TT, I am not 100% certain on compatibility. Can't remember the differences between v1 and v2, but it's lineage started with a sequencer called Sequencer One. Note the 'plus' with v2 only meant you got a hardware MIDI out to connect to the parallel port, the software was the same. No dongle either. For v1 of Breakthru see below.

See this topic: http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=111&t=28966&p=284732&hilit=breakthru#p284732
Last edited by Atari74user on Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Atari74user
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Atari74user » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:59 pm

Actually if you look at ST Format issue 79 in the link, there is an advertisement from Software Technology, they distributed many music and MIDI related items for Atari back in the day in the UK. They used to sell the Gajits software, the makers of Sequencer One and Breakthru.

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”