Help getting internal HDD in Mega STe

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

AtariSociety
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Help getting internal HDD in Mega STe

Postby AtariSociety » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:12 pm

Hi all, been futzing with getting a hard drive in my Mega STe for the last few hours. No luck. So figured I would ask here for advice.

Before I get too far into it... in order to boot the Mega STe (since it has no internal HDD), I have always had to hit the space bar on my keyboard to boot from floppy disk. Unsure if this is an issue but when I turn on the Mega STe, the floppy whirs and stops, screen is blank, and will sit there until I hit space bar. Then it will boot from floppy and if I have an older Supra 20MB drive connected to the ACSI port in back, it will boot to it.

But I always have to hit space bar to boot. Wanted to get that out there. ;-)

I purchased this Mega STe couple years back and it did not come with a drive BUT it has the metal hdd sled with ACSI to SCSI card inside all connected.

So, I tried 2 drives and both HDDriver 7.55 and HDDriver 8.2 will not see to allow me to format and partition and use. They just don't see either drive.

The two drives in question are... Apple Quantum 160MB ProDrive LPS and a Seagate 2GB Barracuda ST32550N. Most my tests were on the 160MB as I figured it was more inline getting it to work. But did try both. Now there are jumpers on each drive but neither has jumper block to change them so guessing that means they should be set at SCSI 0? I did try a jumper block on the 160MB but did not help either.

** EDIT... side note. I tried a 3rd HDD, Qauntum ProDrive ELS pulled from an Apple LCS. Same issue. Will not be seen.

On the ACSI pcb I tried the dip switches all to Off, all on, and various combinations. The drives all spin up and do that initialize sound so they should be working, just zilch in terms of HDDriver seeing them.

With all them on and using HDDriver 7.55 and using the ID Check, I would see under the ACSI IDs this... ACSI 0.0: Atari SH/Megafile Direct Access. But clicking format or partition no drive appears to do anything. Also with #1 and #3 on I got ACSI 2.0: Atari SH/Megafile Direct Access and with #2 only on I got ACSI 1.0: Atari SH/Megafile Direct Access.

But again, no drives appear for me to format.

I suppose both drives can be old and bad but they do spin up.

Any other tips? Could the ACSI to SCSI PCB be bad?

Thanks
TJ
Last edited by AtariSociety on Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Re: Help getting internal HDD in Mega STe

Postby wongck » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:07 am

I think something to do with parity.... was something in the Wiki.... but it not accessible now.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63/CTPCI+ATI+RTL8139+USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

kcr2000
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby kcr2000 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:15 pm

Do you have to press space also after a reset? When doing a coldboot the Mega does a RAM test. In TOS 2.06 you see it, in 2.05 you don't. If you wait long enough or press a key, it continues booting.
CLAB Falcon MK2 CT60e 14MB/512MB 2x32GB CF FPU, Atari Falcon 030 14MB FPU, Atari TT030 10MB ST 256MB TT Crazy Dots 2 ThunderStorm 8GB IDE CF, Atari TT030 10MB ST 64MB TT Megavision 300, Atari Mega STE 4MB Crazy Dots, Atari Stacy 4 16MHz, Atari 1040 STE 4MB UltraSatan, Atari 520 STE, misc STf, STFM, 1040, 520, 260, Atari PC1, Atari PC5, Portfolio, NetUSBees etc. + misc 8-Bit Ataris

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:43 pm

The 160Mb LPS should be fine. Set SCSI ID to 0 and disable parity. Remove the termination resistor packs from the drive. Use a SHORT SCSI cable.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

AtariSociety
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby AtariSociety » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:32 pm

joska wrote:The 160Mb LPS should be fine. Set SCSI ID to 0 and disable parity. Remove the termination resistor packs from the drive. Use a SHORT SCSI cable.

That could be part of the problem then... I can't find any documents so far online that show me how to set the SCSI ID to 0 (I thought no jumpers on the 3 sets of pins meant it was 0) or anything about removing Resistor packs. In fact, I don't even know what a Resistor pack is, embarrassed to say. I know of SCSI conflicts and such but the first to hear of resistor packs. :oops:

TJ
Last edited by AtariSociety on Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AtariSociety
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby AtariSociety » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:42 pm

joska wrote:The 160Mb LPS should be fine. Set SCSI ID to 0 and disable parity. Remove the termination resistor packs from the drive. Use a SHORT SCSI cable.

Also not sure how to disable parity. I really need to find documents I guess online to see how this can be done on this drive.

This is my 1st time doing this in decades on an Atari... have not done hard drive for ages.

Seems HDDriver is really tempermental, or it is my specific Mega STe, for even external hard drives.

Example... I just used HDDriver 8.2 to install an external Syquest EZ135 on my Mega STe. The software saw the drive (I am using an ICD The Link between the ACSI cable and the drive), so I formatted the drive, partitioned it (1 big 135MB partition) and got the drive mounted to the desktop after reboot. I was able to read and write from it. I installed HDDriver on it to as it requested. Named it C.

I reboot the Mega STe again and the drive does not mount. Can't be seen. So I spark up HDDriver again and for the life of me, the drive is not seen again by the software, just like my internal drive sessions. Therefore I can't partition it again or do anything with it. Meaning it can't be seen, I click format or partition in HDDriver and no drive comes up.

I guess it is me or I have some issues with the Mega STe ACSI system.

BTW, I am TOS 2.05. And yes, if I leave the system w/o clicking space bar it does boot after a minute or so to floppy.

Why HDDriver can't see the Syquest now is beyond me.

TJ

AtariSociety
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby AtariSociety » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:45 pm

Duplicate.
Last edited by AtariSociety on Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AtariSociety
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby AtariSociety » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:46 pm

Duplicate

troed
Atari God
Atari God

Postby troed » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:09 pm

In general you never format stuff from within hddrutil, only partition. format is low level stuff.

Besides that, there's a famous "DMA bug" that affected STEs, not sure about how common the problem was on Mega STE, where FATs were trashed pretty randomly (sometimes instantly) which would also cause partitions to disappear after a reboot.

AtariSociety
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby AtariSociety » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:47 pm

troed wrote:In general you never format stuff from within hddrutil, only partition. format is low level stuff.

Besides that, there's a famous "DMA bug" that affected STEs, not sure about how common the problem was on Mega STE, where FATs were trashed pretty randomly (sometimes instantly) which would also cause partitions to disappear after a reboot.

I will say it is very quirky for me. At one point I had the Syquest EZ135 externally with The Link seen in HDDriver, partitioned, and able to add a hard drive Icon in TOS to desktop and read and write to it. Then reboot and that was all gone and now the Syquest can't even be seen again in HDDriver. Very frustrating.

Same goes for external Satan device I have. Little black dual SD card reader connected to ACSI port on rear of Mega STe. Sporatically I found got the device using a 2GB SD card seen in HDDriver to partition it one 512MB but HDDriver would lock up when I clicked Install HDDriver. Reboot and tried anyway to add HDD icon to desktop as C: and it did work.... read and write to it. But then it disappeared. HDDriver sometimes sees it after several rescan bus... but sometimes it does not. Rather on and off.

So I gave up after a full day tinkering with it yesterday up to midnight.

Maybe I will try my Mega 2ST instead and see how it does with these external hard drives. That way I know it is not only me causing the issues, which I am sure it is some. lol, :twisted:

TJ

Dew-It
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Dew-It » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:11 pm

This video shows how to add parity to the ICD LInk so you can use a hard drive that doesn't have parity disable.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqFtKQKb2Ao&t=284s This should also work on other host adapters as well.
Have you played Atari Today?

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:23 pm

Disconnect any external ACSI devices. Install the Quantum LPS. Set the jumpers to SCSI ID 0, parity off. Remove termination resistor packs.

See here for docs on LPS jumper settings.

SCSI terminators looks like this and is located right next to the SCSI connector. Remove them.

Run hddrutil.app and PARTITION the drive. Do not format. You need atleast one partition, use the settings suggested by hddrutil. Reboot. Run hddrutil again and install HD-Driver on the C-partition.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

AtariSociety
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby AtariSociety » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:54 pm

Oh wow, thanks!

Wow, never known about these resistor packs. I thought they were "soldered" in components. Do they just pull out? Or do I need to remove the board and learn how to desolder to yank these puppies. lol

Edit.... oh shoot... I have an Apple 3.5" Quantum ProDrive ELS, not LPS. guess I was dyslexic when reading ... so sorry.

Also, am I correct by looking at the image LPS127/170/340/420 as that is what closest resembles mine (mine is an Apple 160MB), my ELS has only 3 sets of jumpers... and if non have the little jumpers on them, that means it should be SCSI ID 0, correct? Edit... so my PCB looks very similar to one of the LPS models.. with 3 rows of jumpers but I don't see how any are set for parity or not. ;-(

Lastly, the attached link for the model I am guessing mine is since it is an Apple 160MB, has no info on how to set Parity. So not sure how to do that.

Just want to make sure I am reading this right.

Thanks

TJ

joska wrote:Disconnect any external ACSI devices. Install the Quantum LPS. Set the jumpers to SCSI ID 0, parity off. Remove termination resistor packs.

SCSI terminators looks like this and is located right next to the SCSI connector. Remove them.

Run hddrutil.app and PARTITION the drive. Do not format. You need atleast one partition, use the settings suggested by hddrutil. Reboot. Run hddrutil again and install HD-Driver on the C-partition.
Last edited by AtariSociety on Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AtariSociety
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby AtariSociety » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:36 pm

joska wrote:Disconnect any external ACSI devices. Install the Quantum LPS. Set the jumpers to SCSI ID 0, parity off. Remove termination resistor packs.

Here is the PCB on my Apple Quantum and I just read closer... it is not an LPS but also an Quantum ProDrive ELS, Apple 160MB SCSI from 1993. Not sure why I called it an LPS. I also have a 2nd Quantum ProDrive ELS that does not have any Apple info on it but looks the same.
50 pin connector and most all the PCB looks identical. No idea on size.

TJ

QuantumHDD1.jpg

QuantumHDD3.jpg

QuantumHDD2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AtariSociety
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby AtariSociety » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:16 am

Man, I thought I was at a success BUT with a different drive (Seagate ST32550N). Was able to get a jumper on turning off parity and guess what.... the drive was seen by HDDriver and I was able to partition this 2GB drive into 4 of the 256MB partitions. Reboot and C appeared on the desktop... Yeh! Re-ran HDDriver and Installed HDDriver on the Seagate.... seemed to work. Reboot... nothing. No C drive... and now HDDriver will not even see the seagate again? I set the partition to TOS and check boxed the 1.04 as I also have a Mega ST with that old TOS and wanted this drive to work on it "just in case". Is that what I am doing.... screwing it up and now it only will work on TOS 1.04 system.

I am just flabergasted as it all seemed to work fine up to that point. I have the same issue with I tried all this on the Satan device. Seen once.. install HDDriver, it disappears for good.

Was i supposed to SAVE Desktop before closing the system down before? I am booting from my only copy of HDDriver and don't have a backup (yeh I have to make one) but not sure why the drives would not be seen again when I am running HDDriver again. I should be able to add them and Save Desktop then.

Any guidance for this old 1990s Atari fool that seems to get 90% there and then this. LOL.

TJ

AtariSociety
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby AtariSociety » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:51 am

Since the Seagate 2GB can't be partitioned again as it is not showing up, figured I would boot from older HDDriver 7.55 and check the ID, and the seagate appears.... so why does it not show up as a suitable device to be partitioned? I should be able to start over at least? Why would the drive all of a sudden not be able to be seen by HDDriver to partition again. Makes no sense to me. Just went though all the partition a few minutes ago. And the ID check sees the Seagate drive there.

Guessing I just don't know how to clearly use HDDriver then or is there something I need to click on so the drive can be started from scratch and I do this all over again.

TJ

AtariSociety
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby AtariSociety » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:24 am

Good news... well on using an external SATAN disk at my boot drive... Using older 7.55 HDDriver I was able to get the 2GB partitioned into 4 of the 256MB partitions and installed HDDriver on the C and reboot, add hard drive icons for all 4, SAVE DESKTOP, and reboot and now I am booting from an external SD card. Phew.

But... I want to get to the bottom of what I did with that Seagate. I would also like to have that in my Mega STe for now... and would hate that I can't get HDDriver to recognize the drive again in partition so I can then do what I just did for that SD card.

Screaming loud 2GB drive but would be nice to have it as an option plus I want to understand better what I did to make them not work after going through all the motions.

For the SD card I just made it TOS compatible and did not check a box this time. Maybe that is what I did before but... or not saving desktop before screwed me up on the Seagate. But... there should be a way to correct that!

Let me know please.

TJ
MegaSTebootedSDCard.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AtariSociety
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby AtariSociety » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:36 pm

Wanted to say thank you to all that chimed in the last couple days. At least I have a working Satan Disk setup for now. Will be nice to figure out what I am doing wrong for the SCSI drives... the 2GB drive seems to be setup to work in an Atari as I git it all partitioned and such, but forgot to save desktop in the end... and now I can't seem to mount C,D,E,F from it... nor does HDDriver Utility allow me to repartition again, which seems odd. Would like to get to the bottom of that but for today, I can at least carry on with a booting Mega STe.

Thank you again all for the gracious help.

TJ

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:48 pm

The Mega ste host adapter is problably not capable of booting from the 2Gb drive.

Edit: http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 74#p263359
Jo Even

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”