NetUSBee TOS driver

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

Perdrix24
Atariator
Atariator

NetUSBee TOS driver

Postby Perdrix24 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:36 pm

Hi,

I'm working on porting the MiNT NetUSBee driver to TOS, so it can use the TOS drivers for storage, mouse, etc. So far mass storage is working reliably on the ST:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_hQwgYp_ZE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LI7QWW1V1g

On Falcon 030, I can read fairly reliably but not write very much. I need to work on the delays, I think. On the Falcon 060, it doesn't work, hopefully it's just a question to get the delays right.

As for the mouse, I tried two cheap ones and two wireless ones, no success, although some are recognized in the USB utility acc. But they don't work with umouse.prg either, so maybe it's not the driver.

Claude

simonsunnyboy

Re: NetUSBee TOS driver

Postby simonsunnyboy » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:17 pm

That would be nice to have. There havebeen no reliable USB drivers for TOS sofar except for the single mouse driver.

OTOH I was toild that Netusbee was even not stable under MiNT...so I am wondering.

Will your TOS drivers work on STs aswell?
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

Perdrix24
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Perdrix24 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:24 pm

Yes it will work on a standard ST. I copied for hours to and from Megafile 60, and between USB drives. No problem. Hot plugging works too. Partitioning with HD Driver works. I'll try doing speed tests, and try to work from floppy only.

fiveofive
Atariator
Atariator

Postby fiveofive » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:14 pm

Oh this is would be too good to be true! I actually did not even consider this option any more after all the years without TOS drivers. Great stuff :)
505 - Atari, Chiptune & Demoscene - website

kcr2000
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby kcr2000 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:07 pm

Fantastic news, would be glad to have that for TOS. Thanks a lot in advance ;-)
CLAB Falcon MK2 CT60e 14MB/512MB 2x32GB CF FPU, Atari Falcon 030 14MB FPU, Atari TT030 10MB ST 256MB TT Crazy Dots 2 ThunderStorm 8GB IDE CF, Atari TT030 10MB ST 64MB TT Megavision 300, Atari Mega STE 4MB Crazy Dots, Atari Stacy 4 16MHz, Atari 1040 STE 4MB UltraSatan, Atari 520 STE, misc STf, STFM, 1040, 520, 260, Atari PC1, Atari PC5, Portfolio, NetUSBees etc. + misc 8-Bit Ataris

catmando
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby catmando » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:14 pm

At last, brilliant news.
Atari Falcon Tos 4.04 | 14mb | IDE CF 2GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62 | 4mb | HxC Slim SD 8GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62/2.06 | 4mb | Floppy A-B Mod | IDE SD 4GB
Atari STFM
Android Devices (Running Hataroid and SToid)

Atari Forum Wiki - Use it before asking

czietz
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby czietz » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:23 pm

A hint about the mouse driver, something I found while optimizing the TOS USB drivers for the upcoming Lightning VME: The mouse driver uses some strange logic to decide whether to set the mouse to the "boot" or to the "report" protocol. However, it cannot properly handle packets when the mouse is set to the "report" protocol. I found that -- until I or someone else implements a proper HID parser -- mice work more reliably if forced to the "boot" protocol.

Galvez
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Galvez » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:44 pm

Perdrix24 wrote:Hi,

I'm working on porting the MiNT NetUSBee driver to TOS, so it can use the TOS drivers for storage, mouse, etc. So far mass storage is working reliably on the ST:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_hQwgYp_ZE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LI7QWW1V1g

I'm very glad to read this and seeing that it's working already for the ST

Perdrix24 wrote:On Falcon 030, I can read fairly reliably but not write very much. I need to work on the delays, I think. On the Falcon 060, it doesn't work, hopefully it's just a question to get the delays right.

For the 060 I fixed recently some issues, it's "working" again, with "working" I mean the devices are recognized and mass storage transfer work but I guess still not reliable, I don't have the hardware to test, I hope this will change soon :-). The fixes are at the FreeMiNT's reposotory in Github:

https://github.com/freemint/freemint/co ... caa056e2c7
https://github.com/freemint/freemint/co ... cc0cc6207c
https://github.com/freemint/freemint/co ... b39970f295

Perdrix24
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Perdrix24 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:45 pm

Galvez wrote:
For the 060 I fixed recently some issues, it's "working" again, with "working" I mean the devices are recognized and mass storage transfer work but I guess still not reliable, I don't have the hardware to test, I hope this will change soon :-). The fixes are at the FreeMiNT's reposotory in Github:

https://github.com/freemint/freemint/co ... caa056e2c7
https://github.com/freemint/freemint/co ... cc0cc6207c
https://github.com/freemint/freemint/co ... b39970f295

I've seen your changes. In fact, I changed to use udelay in my local .h file probably the same day as you did! It was using just a do while 0 NOP before.

I will need your help later on, for publishing the driver and set up a makefile that works for both TOS and MiNT. As it is, I use defines for TOS_ONLY, similar that in other drivers already there, so it should work with MiNT and TOS.

I might be able to test the MiNT driver later on. For now, I'll work on delays for 030 - 060 TOS.

Claude

Perdrix24
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Perdrix24 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:10 pm

czietz wrote:A hint about the mouse driver, something I found while optimizing the TOS USB drivers for the upcoming Lightning VME: The mouse driver uses some strange logic to decide whether to set the mouse to the "boot" or to the "report" protocol. However, it cannot properly handle packets when the mouse is set to the "report" protocol. I found that -- until I or someone else implements a proper HID parser -- mice work more reliably if forced to the "boot" protocol.

Thanks for your input. It would be nice to have good mouse driver. Also a printer driver, that would take PCL commands from NVDI printer file and sends it to a USB printer.

Perdrix24
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Perdrix24 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:12 pm

Thanks for your encouragements. The drivers can work from floppy, no hard drive required. Transfer rate is around 42 kb/s at the moment.

Galvez
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Galvez » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:34 pm

Perdrix24 wrote:I will need your help later on, for publishing the driver and set up a makefile that works for both TOS and MiNT. As it is, I use defines for TOS_ONLY, similar that in other drivers already there, so it should work with MiNT and TOS.

Of course! Don't hesitate to ask me.

czietz
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby czietz » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:58 pm

Perdrix24 wrote:Thanks for your input. It would be nice to have good mouse driver.

Like I said: during Lightning VME development, after changing the driver to always force the mouse into boot protocol, my co-developers and I yet have to find a mouse that doesn't work.

Perdrix24
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Perdrix24 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:15 am

czietz wrote:
Perdrix24 wrote:Thanks for your input. It would be nice to have good mouse driver.

Like I said: during Lightning VME development, after changing the driver to always force the mouse into boot protocol, my co-developers and I yet have to find a mouse that doesn't work.

OK, I'll try that.

LuigiThirty
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby LuigiThirty » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:26 am

Oh man, this is awesome! I can’t wait to have USB mass storage support in TOS.

Perdrix24
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Perdrix24 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:09 pm

Quick update: USB mass storage works reliably on Falcon030. The drivers boot fast, but the transfer rate is slow (32 KB/s). More work is required on the delays that the USB chip expect between data/register accesses, to increase the transfer rate.

On Falcon CT63, it works with glitches. 225 KB/s at the moment.

I'm now forcing the mouse driver to boot protocol, mouse moves then the system crash. It might well be the mice I have. On EmuTOS and Falcon030, the mouse is moving perfectly even after a crash!

czietz
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby czietz » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:33 pm

Oh, that's slow indeed. Using the same USB chip (ISP1160) with the Lightning VME -- albeit connected to the VME bus, so the comparison is unfair -- we achieve over 300 kiB/s on the MegaSTE (with its slow 68000 CPU) and over 500 kiB/s on the TT.
Unfortunately, I have to say, the mouse and storage drivers are a bit in a bad state. E.g. mouse.prg suffers from the fact that it'll get called -- unpredictably for the currently running program -- via the timer interrupt and then has to work with the stack space available at that moment. That might explain the crash that you're seeing. Also, there are some issues between BigDOS and the mouse driver.

Perdrix24
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Perdrix24 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:56 pm

czietz wrote:Oh, that's slow indeed. Using the same USB chip (ISP1160) with the Lightning VME -- albeit connected to the VME bus, so the comparison is unfair -- we achieve over 300 kiB/s on the MegaSTE (with its slow 68000 CPU) and over 500 kiB/s on the TT.

That is fast! Did you write your own proprietary driver?

czietz
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby czietz » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:01 pm

Perdrix24 wrote:That is fast! Did you write your own proprietary driver?

Basically, we adapted the existing ISP1160 driver (like for Ethernat, NetUSBee) a) to work with our VME-bus based hardware, b) to work under TOS as well and c) to be much faster. Given that it's under GPL, as soon as we launch the Lightning VME including the drivers, the source code will be released as well.

Perdrix24
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Perdrix24 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:14 pm

czietz wrote:Basically, we adapted the existing ISP1160 driver (like for Ethernat, NetUSBee) a) to work with our VME-bus based hardware and b) to work under TOS as well. Given that it's under GPL, as soon as we launch the Lightning VME including the drivers, the source code will be released as well.

Ah that's good! I'll also release my sources (TOS port of NetUSBee driver for MiNT) when it's working. That's the beauty of GPL. BTW did you see the update last week to storage.prg? I found a bug that Roger Burrows fixed.

czietz
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby czietz » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:35 pm

Perdrix24 wrote:BTW did you see the update last week to storage.prg? I found a bug that Roger Burrows fixed.

I just saw it some hours ago and asked my co-developers of Lightning VME to use that updated storage.prg. Thank you for reporting the bug to FreeMiNT.

Dew-It
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Dew-It » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:01 pm

Where can you download the drivers for TOS from?
Have you played Atari Today?

Perdrix24
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Perdrix24 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:31 pm

Dew-It wrote:Where can you download the drivers for TOS from?

There are still in development. I'll make a call for beta testers once I have a stable and reasonably fast driver.

Today, on Falcon 030, I achieved 112 KB/s transfer rate and reliable.

Kroll
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Kroll » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:24 pm

Hi,
If you need still beta tester, I can test it on Falcon030/060 both and Atari TT. Earlier I made test for MiNT drivers for Falcon mode both

tenox
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby tenox » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:56 am

This is so important. You should start taking donations.
Also will it work with recently released Geneva and NeoDesk?

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”