Upgrading serial port for higher speed / more midi stability

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

edingacic
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Upgrading serial port for higher speed / more midi stability

Postby edingacic » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:32 pm

Here is my setup playing a tune I am working on at the moment .... something to get you going while you do your research.
Your work could have big impact for MIDI sequencing on ATARI

https://vimeo.com/254867116

Atari74user
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Atari74user » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:36 pm

So you can use the firmware from the SMPII on the SMP24, or is there a special 1.6 release just for the SMP24? If you can interchange them, they must be nearly identical at the hardware level.

They should be interchangeable, certainly from v1.4x (SMP24) to v1.6x (SMPII), I am not sure if many have tried a 1.4x in an SMPII, but the theory would suggest you can in as much as placing a 1.6x in an SMP24, which people have tended to do by burning the firmware.

Do you use yours for SMPTE and MIDI input, or just the extra MIDI outs? If people are only using them for MIDI outs, then I guess there's no point trying to reverse-engineer the protocol - because the Friend Chip MM1 protocol already gives 8 outs.

Me personally, I use the SMPII purely for extra MIDI.

edingacic wrote:I also have SMP 1.6 Firmware if you need it

It would be nice to share, in the event something my goes horribly wrong one day! I may have it somewhere, as I am sure I downloaded when various links were working.
Atari Falcon 14mb, 68882, Dual 8gb CF, Steinberg FDI & Analog 8
Atari Jaguar, Rotary controller, Skunkboard & Cat Box
Atari 520STFM 4mb, TOS 2.06 switcher, OverScan, GigaFile, PARCP-USB, Unicorn-USB, System Solutions MiniS HD, SyQuest drives, ICD Link II, PhatBoy MIDI Controller, Philip Rees 5M MIDI merge box, SoundPool MO4, Steinberg MIDEX, SMP II, Emagic Log 3, C-Lab Unitor 2, Combiner & Export expanders

guus.assmann
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby guus.assmann » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:52 pm

Hello Foxie,
What I can see in the schematics is that the LDS signal is used as a clock to 74F74 FF's.
A signal called SEM is delayed by one extra FF that's also clocked with the LDS.
So it looks like the complete access cycle is delayed to give the Midex a bit more time to finish a cycle.
Maybe slowing down the Falcon can have the Midex work.
I've not had time to check the driver, so I don't know if the patch does work at all.
BR/
Guus
Guus Assmann

edingacic
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby edingacic » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:15 pm

Well it would be nice to have timecode also and locked to a frame because I use my sequencer also to sync with HD tape deck for music and fx for film. So it would be really nice but I have midex+ that can do that so that is fine also.

Foxie
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Foxie » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:49 am

edingacic wrote:Here is my setup playing a tune I am working on at the moment .... something to get you going while you do your research.

Very nice! Got to love that TT mono monitor too ^.^

I didn't realise you had so much uploaded on Vimeo, if you don't mind I'll have a look around later!

edingacic wrote:I also have SMP 1.6 Firmware if you need it

That could be useful, any idea what processor the SMP uses? I've found a low-res picture of the internals of the SMP24 - it looks like it uses four ACIAs (or similar) and some unidentified 40 pin packages, one of which is surely the processor.

edingacic wrote:Well it would be nice to have timecode also and locked to a frame because I use my sequencer also to sync with HD tape deck for music and fx for film. So it would be really nice but I have midex+ that can do that so that is fine also.

The tricky part about implementing SMPTE in a printer port device is figuring out how the SMP24/II protocol works. The Midex is much easier since it's a simple logic implementation of a SMPTE reader. Of course, if I ever manage to clone the Midex it will definitely include SMPTE.

charles
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Postby charles » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:50 am

nice tune edingagic !!!
ever heard of subtropic ,,, ?
I still like them to this day ...your sounds match theirs!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wxHzcn7q7s
The radioactive half-life : )
Atari is a lifestyle,not a hobby.
HOLD ON ! ! ! Im printing unreadable characters ...!

edingacic
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby edingacic » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:25 pm

Here is 1.6 eprom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

edingacic
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby edingacic » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:42 pm

Very nice! Got to love that TT mono monitor too ^.^

I didn't realise you had so much uploaded on Vimeo, if you don't mind I'll have a look around later!

Yeah I love the TT mono monitor but it is starting to fade after so many years so I will have to get the Tenox vga adapter http://tenoxvga.tenox.net
project is also open source so maybe someone else can build it cheaper https://github.com/tenox7/tenoxvga

About my Vimeo page its my work as 3d animator / filmmaker. You can also check http://www.filmtools.at

Let me know about MM1 second test do I need to wait for a new test file?

nice tune edingagic !!!
ever heard of subtropic ,,, ?
I still like them to this day ...your sounds match theirs!

Thank you charles. No i have never heard of subtropic I will check them out.

Atari74user
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Atari74user » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:18 pm

edingacic wrote:Here is 1.6 eprom

Much appreciated, thank you!
:cheers:
Atari 520STFM 4mb, TOS 2.06 switcher, OverScan, GigaFile, PARCP-USB, Unicorn-USB, System Solutions MiniS HD, SyQuest drives, ICD Link II, PhatBoy MIDI Controller, Philip Rees 5M MIDI merge box, SoundPool MO4, Steinberg MIDEX, SMP II, Emagic Log 3, C-Lab Unitor 2, Combiner & Export expanders

edingacic
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby edingacic » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:00 pm

my quick MO4 test with DX7... but I don't know if the DX7 is working right every sound I play on it is modulated and sounds like FX ... anyone know how to reset DX7?

Foxie can i run this test with a sampler?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

edingacic
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby edingacic » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:20 pm

here is one more test after i reset dx7 but i was not able to hear any cords during the test. DX7 plays fine when i play cords on the keyboard.

Foxie
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Foxie » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:52 am

edingacic wrote:here is one more test after i reset dx7 but i was not able to hear any cords during the test. DX7 plays fine when i play cords on the keyboard.

Thanks! I'll analyze the results tomorrow ^.^

Not hearing the chords is normal enough, that just indicates the MO4 doesn't have a sufficiently large buffer to hold enough events for a chord.

The new MM1 test program is coming along nicely, I'll let you know when it's ready. The MM1 does exhibit some unusual behaviour under some conditions, which I'd like to learn more about. I've never seen the driver write anything to the MM1 which would replicate those conditions though, so it's a bit of a mystery why it works like that.

Foxie
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Foxie » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:31 am

A strange discovery - it seems there are at least two different revisions of the SoundPool MO4. One has a buffer, while the other does not! Considering the MO4 is based around what looks like a CPLD, it's probably just a different "firmware" revision (actually, configuration data). But the buffered model could even be using a bigger CPLD or an entirely different internal design.

The response of both models is a bit weird. I can't figure out exactly what's happening internally yet. Sometimes the hardware remains busy for only ~50 microseconds, while other times it's busy for nearly 300. It's almost as if it's based around an MCU, but I can't see an MCU anywhere on the board. I don't think Lattice ever made MCUs.

In other news, I e-mailed Geerdes (they're still around) and actually heard back! They seem to remember their old products, but sadly they don't have archived copies of the Cubase driver for the Starport. It looks like these days they do MIDI files for arranger workstations.

edingacic
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby edingacic » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:31 am

Hi Foxie,

I found MM1 device and with it i got a 2 sheets of printer paper about it.

General Info

The MM 1 offers eight addressable MIDI PORTS. Each of the eight MIDI PORTS covers all 16 MIDI CHANNELS. This allows you to address up to 128 MIDI voices.

Some software drivers even allow you to cascade up to four MM 1 units, for a total of 512 voices. You need a special cable for cascading MM 1 units.

(but there is no info what software and what drivers and what special cable)

There i found about setting of DIP-switches

The setting of DIP switches is important for cascading the MM 1 units. Nevertheless, you should check for the correct setting, when you first use the MM1 UNIT.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

1 to 4 unit address 1 = ON means module one
5 usually ON
6 usually OFF, ON in all units, if several MM 1 units are cascaded
7 and 8 ON if only one MM 1 unit is connected for cascading the MM 1 units select the following:

ON in module 1, which is connected to the computer
OFF in modules 2,3 and 4.

Today I even try to see if I can cascade MM1 with SMP24 and it kinda works but not.... I put the desktop accessory and select remote on the MM1 unit then I connected smp24 to MM1 printer port. When I start in printer mode and start CuBase with SMP4.DRV loaded in MROS folder the SMP24 unit beebs and I see the display on front displays the 1.65 rom and boots but then when it does not reset the counter to 0.0.0.0 and when I go to CuBase inspector I can see that the ports are grayed out. I try different combination on the MM1 unit for the DIP switches closing and firing the remote app and cubase but could not make it work. They talk about some special cable in this sheet of paper that my MM1 came with. Could it be that the cable has different pin wiring?

It would be really cool if I could make MM1 and SMP24 work at the same time form the TT030 Printer port :)

Atari74user
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Atari74user » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:25 pm

That's interesting, I see the above reads 'cascading MM1s', but not specifically cascading different MIDI peripherals such as the SMPs or M04. Is there anywhere that reads you can do this? I always assumed as the MM1 is the only MIDI peripheral which connects to the printer port and has a 'thru' port, users could only connect printers to the MM1 to keep that peripheral connected if owned, and now as I have learned, other MM1s.

The reason I point this out, is that I could share my printer port with a manual switcher, but if I want to share the printer port at the same time without switching, I get the same symptoms as you. I decided to test a parallel Y-splitter cable connecting both M04 and SMPII, but I experienced exactly the same, one would work, but not the other. So I came to the conclusion that essentially it is not possible to connect an M04 or SMP together in any combination no matter what, and I assumed the same would be true of an MM1. I appreciate the MM1 does have a thru port, but it's interesting the symptoms are the same using Cubase.

edingacic
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby edingacic » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:44 pm

If there was a way to set the SMP24 so that MM1 thinks its device id 2 then it would probably work in MIDI mode? Since module 1 DIP switch is set for each device as 1,2,3 or 4 . MM1 when switched to printer does not allow SMP24 to work withing CuBase why is that? If it just a "thru port"?

edingacic
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby edingacic » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:45 pm

Or maybe there is a special driver for MM1? They talk about this special cable and special some drivers?

Atari74user
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Atari74user » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:26 am

Out of interest, are you using this driver?

edingacic
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby edingacic » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:40 am

Yes

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”