Seeking Advice Falcon Rack Workstation Setup

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

ScottChi
Retro freak
Retro freak

Seeking Advice Falcon Rack Workstation Setup

Postby ScottChi » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:47 pm

Hello all,

For the last few months I have been restoring my Falcon 030 Wizztronics rack system to operational status, after mothballing it in the early 2000s and lugging it around in boxes for several years.

The question I have is, how have other people solved arranging a surface for the mouse and keyboard on these systems?

Here's a photo of what I have put together so far.

falcon workstation.jpg

Between the rack and the midi keyboard there isn't a great location to use the mouse. I have a compact keyboard that I can use on my lap, but there's no great place for the mouse. I've been sitting on the floor and using a small box as a mouse desk so far :-P

I have seen sliding trays that are designed to go into a rack to provide a workstation surface. I'm considering getting one of those.

I'd rather not buy a dedicated desk, but I haven't ruled it out.

Thanks for your help,

Scott C.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ScottChi
Retro freak
Retro freak

Re: Seeking Advice Falcon Rack Workstation Setup

Postby ScottChi » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:18 am

After some online searches I have found some solutions available online. For example this: https://cabling-supplies.com/sliding-keyboard-shelf.html
047-wks-3551.jpg
The only downside is that it requires 2U worth of vertical space.

Having seen such items, it occurs to me that it would not be very difficult to make one from thin MDF, or masonite. I think that even with a slide-out or pivot for the mouse tray, it could be kept down to 1U or less.

Scott C.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

atarian90
Atariator
Atariator

Postby atarian90 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:38 pm

Scott,

That looks like a 1U space to me. I remember looking into rack-mounting my ST/Falcon years ago and found several solutions like this. The only difference is that the keyboard and mouse were built in. I vaguely recall they were all 1U spaces.

Maybe consider getting one of these with a built-in keyboard/trackball? I recall they have a chicklet/laptop keyboard so it's more low profile than the keyboard shown in your picture. (Looks like a Scorpius keyboard...)

ScottChi
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby ScottChi » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:10 am

Hello Atarian90, at the link above there is a note "Requires 2U of space on rackmount for mouse tray clearance." So far I have found six or seven and they are all 2U for some reason, even the ones with a built in keyboard and trackball. Some of them are very pricey, over $300 too. Probably meant for commercial or industrial uses.

I have seen some with keyboards for under $200 but I have a decently equipped workshop in my basement and enjoy building stuff.

Scott C.

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”