Atari and external SCSI

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

clh333
Atariator
Atariator

Atari and external SCSI

Postby clh333 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:27 pm

I wanted to be able to move software between the PCs, which have Internet access, and the Ataris, which do not. For other machines I am able to do this by means of an Iomega Zip drive using a SCSI interface. For that reason I purchased a SUPRA SCSI interface which is pictured below.

I have done what research I could to find documentation - so far unsuccessful. I can figure out some of the ports on the board: the 19-pin D-SUB (J3) is pretty obvious, as is the 50-pin header (P1) at the opposite end. Header J1 is obviously power, but what voltage? Header P2 (26 pin) and jumper header JP1: no idea.

Before I connect anything to it I thought I would ask for help here. Any suggestions or documentation is welcome.

Thanks,
-CH-

Pic:

SUPRA_SCSI_ATARI_EXTERNAL.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

siriushardware
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Atari and external SCSI

Postby siriushardware » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:11 pm

I don't see a 5V regulator on that PCB, so:

If you have a meter, measure for a short between the + pin on the power connector and (as seen in your picture) the upper left pin (pin 20) on the 74HCT245 IC next to it. There should also be a short between the - pin on the power connector and the lower right pin (pin 10) on the same IC. If these pins aren't connected to the power connector pins as I have described could you please post an equally good picture of the underside of the PCB.

If you do have a direct connection between the + power pin and pin 20 of the IC then you almost certainly need regulated 5VDC going into that power connector. The SCSI drive will need both +5V and +12V (and 0V) supplies, so maybe an old PC PSU would be a good starting point. You can power the drive from that using one of the drive connectors already fitted to the PSU and take the 5V supply needed for the board from one of the other power connectors (e.g. red / black on one of the floppy drive power connectors).

The use of the same colour wire (blue) for both sides of the power connection is just asking for trouble. I would change those to red and black if possible. If not, sooner or later you will be lured into connecting them the wrong way around.

Atarieterno
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Atarieterno » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:30 pm

ST/fm/e, STacy, Mega ST/e, TT, Falcon, C-Lab MKX... and more music tools.

frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby frank.lukas » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:53 pm

Does all Supra Harddrives and Hostadapter need special Supra Driver Software?

I think yes ...
fancy Atari Musik anDA Dance "Agare Hinu Harukana" 1998 ATARI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX10fxb5eYE

clh333
Atariator
Atariator

Postby clh333 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:06 pm

Thanks to all who replied.

"If you have a meter, measure for a short between the + pin on the power connector and (as seen in your picture) the upper left pin (pin 20) on the 74HCT245 IC next to it. There should also be a short between the - pin on the power connector and the lower right pin (pin 10) on the same IC."

Measures 0.3 Ohms, and drops quickly to 0.0.

"viewtopic.php?t=10419"

I did see that topic before I posted. I have been chided in the past for digging up old threads so I thought it best not to add on to that one.

"Does all Supra Harddrives and Hostadapter need special Supra Driver Software?"

I suspect that is true. I also have recently acquired a Megafile 30, which I can communicate with but which I have not yet been able to make boot, and also a Supra external HD. The Supra came configured: I plugged it in and it self-booted. I believe there are drivers on the disk; they may suffice but I don't know yet.

I also have a Supra combination RAM expansion and HD "sidecar" for an Amiga 500, as well as the installation and driver disks for that. I don't know if that will be of any value either.

Attached is a pic of the back side of the board:

-CH-

SUPRA_SCSI_ATARI_EXTERNAL_BACK.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Atarieterno
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Atarieterno » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:22 pm

Hello;
I showed you the old post for two reasons: if it is useful for your question and to continue to fill in the information that can help others.
I do not understand what is wrong with "resurrecting" an old post if it can complete information instead of remaining stored with doubts; but I do not make the rules.
Greetings.
ST/fm/e, STacy, Mega ST/e, TT, Falcon, C-Lab MKX... and more music tools.

clh333
Atariator
Atariator

Postby clh333 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:38 pm

No offense taken; I simply am trying not to irritate the moderators.

-CH-

siriushardware
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby siriushardware » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:42 pm

clh333, for what it is worth I think it is OK (and desirable) to continue all discussion about one particular narrow issue into one thread, even if the thread has been dormant for quite a while. If the old information is still directly relevant and useful then what's the problem? I would rather find and read one mega-thread on my chosen issue than hunt all over through many threads for small fragments of information.

Your underside view (another nice photo) doesn't show an onboard regulator either so I am 99% convinced that this board requires a regulated 5VDC supply going in on the power connector.

As I said, the most convenient source for the regulated 5V and the additional 12V supply that the HDD will need would be an old PC power supply, especially because the PC supply will already have some correct type power connectors to match the one on the HDD. On the four-wire power output connectors on those the colour coding is always

Black=0V / Ground,
Red = +5V
Yellow = +12V.

clh333
Atariator
Atariator

Postby clh333 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:21 pm

I agree; better to confine one topic to one thread.

On another site, and a different topic, I once was "flamed" for responding to an old post. The post gave a link to some software utility I had been looking for (a Google search for the software was what led me to the site). I left a message saying "Thanks for making this available; it was just what I was looking for." I was chided for "necro-posting" or something like that by someone who took exception. I could only respond, "I hope you feel better soon."

I've got several spare power supplies but lately I have been using the adapter rig shown below. I use it to power the drives I use to image disks with either the Kryoflux or SuperCard Pro hardware.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

-CH-

Pic:
PowerSupply2.jpg

Rustynutt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rustynutt » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:20 am

Think you can use ICD or HD Driver with the Supera controller.
I do have the original package, in luck, backing up some old CD's tonight.
Give me a bit, wife just said dinner is ready :)

Rustynutt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rustynutt » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:28 am

Pasta and meatballs :)

Zipped this on the TT with ST Zip 2.3. Windows opened it, but that's all I can say, other than some say the ST Zip is buggy (never had issues).

I'd also say it's 5V, that's what all those IC's are. Pretty sure SCSI term power is the same.

clh333
Atariator
Atariator

Postby clh333 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:02 pm

Thanks for the upload. Term power: good point. Possibly what JP1 is for?

-CH-

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:28 pm

My 44MB Syquest came with a Supra ASCI-SCSI thingy and I have successfully used all the drivers I found on it.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63+CTPCI_ATI_RTL8139 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

czietz
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby czietz » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:28 pm

clh333 wrote:Thanks for the upload. Term power: good point. Possibly what JP1 is for?

-CH-

Being next to the Real Time Clock (RTC) chip: possibly for a battery to keep the clock running? Follow the traces from the header.

Rustynutt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rustynutt » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:37 pm

Clock seems right, when I mentioned term power, only it's 5v source used, not your connector.

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”