Wizztronics Rack Case for Falcon... mismatched screw holes?

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Wizztronics Rack Case for Falcon... mismatched screw holes?

Postby leech » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:35 am

So I bought (apparently the last one in stock) a Wizztronics Rack Case for my Falcon, tried to slide the motherboard into place and.. the screw holes simply don't match up on the board. No idea why, but it's definitely off enough that I'd either have to bend the mount holes to get it to fit, or even more foolish, drill new holes in the PCB!

May have to see if Brad will take it back. Anyone else ever run into this issue?
Atari 8Bits: 800xl, 600xl, XEGS, 800, 130xe, 130xe (fully upgraded (soon!))
Atari STs: 1040STf (broken shifter), 1040STe, Mega STe, TT030, Falcon (CT60e, SuperVidel)

catmando
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: Wizztronics Rack Case for Falcon... mismatched screw holes?

Postby catmando » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:20 am

Got any photos?
Atari Falcon Tos 4.04 | 14mb | IDE CF 2GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62 | 4mb | HxC Slim SD 8GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62/2.06 | 4mb | Floppy A-B Mod | IDE SD 4GB
Atari STFM
Android Devices (Running Hataroid and SToid)

Atari Forum Wiki - Use it before asking

alexh
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby alexh » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:57 am

No chance it is the STe version?

Photos?

Rustynutt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rustynutt » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:17 pm

The case I had, pattern fit the motherboard through holes precisely.
Wouldn't the rear cutouts not match if not for a Falcon?
If they match, but main board holes don't, easily enough head room to fab an adapter plate out of Lexan or like.

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby leech » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:32 pm

Ha, I had taken a picture, but it's kind of hard to see that the holes don't line up.

P.S. I kind of hate these days that I take a picture on my camera phone and it's this massively high resolution, and then I have to cut and resize things so that I can get them so I can upload to the forum...

Definitely NOT the STe case.
Atari STs: 1040STf (broken shifter), 1040STe, Mega STe, TT030, Falcon (CT60e, SuperVidel)

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby leech » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:36 pm

Rustynutt wrote:The case I had, pattern fit the motherboard through holes precisely.
If they match, but main board holes don't, easily enough head room to fab an adapter plate out of Lexan or like.

That's an interesting idea. Yeah the cut outs on the back match, but they give only little wiggle room, I even though maybe the RF output was off a little and that's 'why they're not lining up. I can get the furthest left two (looking from the back) holes to line up, but all the rest are about half way into where the through holes are. Not sure if my board warped or what.

It looks like it's going to be a hard enough fit with the SuperVidel / CT60, but that should be fine, I ordered a 400W PSU for the purpose of putting it into this box, since it comes with an ATX one that has been modified to work with the stock Falcon. So either I need to use that PSU or find build an adapter back from the Falcon's PSU connector to an ATX one. :P But I got a nice 'silent' PSU for the purpose. It's even a cool white one (not that you'd see it with the lid on and the case is now going to be black...)

catmando
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby catmando » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:28 pm

Pictures?
Atari STFM

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby leech » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:52 pm

Bah, I suppose most people use imgur? Anyhow, here's my second attempt at attaching a picture. Scaled down enough, not sure if you can see.

The hole at the top lines up just fine, all of the ones under where the PSU/CT60e sit do not.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

catmando
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby catmando » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:37 am

Show us how the ports are lining up
Atari STFM

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby leech » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:35 am

They lined up just right. I can try again when I wake up in the morning, I would have to take it back out of the case. Now I did try as well to see if I was supposed to put the shielding in, but that was a no go as some of the mounting holes made it sit at a weird level, and they still did not line up right. I can't imagine the board being warped as the Falcon fits the case just fine.

The back was as far as it would go with the RF output being in a pretty tight hole, so little wiggle room. The holes to the back and left matched up, all the rest were about half matched. I have put together a lot of PCs and have encountered something similar a few times, but usually I can move it just rigt to sort of compromise, though I haven't done that since I stoppex buying crappy boards and crappy cases. I think the last MSI board I had was like that. But trying to move the Falcon around to get it to match up has been a challenge for sure.

Rustynutt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rustynutt » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:42 pm

leech wrote:
Rustynutt wrote:The case I had, pattern fit the motherboard through holes precisely.

That's an interesting idea. Yeah the cut outs on the back match, but they give only little wiggle room, I even though maybe the RF output was off a little and that's 'why they're not lining up. I can get the furthest left two (looking from the back) holes to line up, but all the rest are about half way into where the through holes are. Not sure if my board warped or what.

It looks like it's going to be a hard enough fit with the SuperVidel / CT60, but that should be fine, I ordered a 400W PSU for the purpose of putting it into this box, since it comes with an ATX one that has been modified to work with the stock Falcon. So either I need to use that PSU or find build an adapter back from the Falcon's PSU connector to an ATX one. :P But I got a nice 'silent' PSU for the purpose. It's even a cool white one (not that you'd see it with the lid on and the case is now going to be black...)

Have you laid a straight edge across the bottom of the rack case?
If edge holes line up, a bow on the middle could mis-match fastener location.

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby leech » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:47 pm

Hmm, that could be it. I had the case on my bed as I was trying to put it together. Nkw it is back in the original case all hooked up, kind of a chore to keep trying, I will see if it is bowed in the middle.

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby leech » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:39 am

Haven't had a chance to get the Falcon back out of it's case yet, and it's a good thing, I just got a new toy in the mail.

Internal-SCSI.jpg

Might have to wait until the weekend, but this should help with making my Falcon 'neat'.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”