Mega STE questions.

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

Bikerbob
Atari freak
Atari freak

Mega STE questions.

Postby Bikerbob » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:54 am

Not sure if this is the area I am supposed to be posting this.

Its Hardware, but not for development or anything, just hardware question. So Atari ST Professionals? sorry if I am posting in wrong area.

My questions.

I just bought a German MegaSTE..

1. PSU - everything I have read tells me this is an autosensing PSU -- put 110v in .. it works put 220v in it works. But when I see articles about replacement.. I see reference to 220v version or 110v .. etc.. Exxos for example makes separate replacements - even his cap kit refers to 240v??

2. Keyboard - I have confliciting reports that you can run a german keyboard on US TOS and it will just remap the keys. If I want the correct image on the keys I could put stickers, or replace the set with a US keycap set.. but the keyboard will work.. others not sure, some say that doing that will cause some keys to crash the computer because the US TOS has no correct map for it? Anyone KNOW? Have you converted?

Now I do have a microcosmos - with a Keyboard injector, so I could just not use the keybaord and use a PC keyboard instead.

James

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: Mega STE questions.

Postby joska » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:24 am

Bikerbob wrote:2. Keyboard - I have confliciting reports that you can run a german keyboard on US TOS and it will just remap the keys. If I want the correct image on the keys I could put stickers, or replace the set with a US keycap set.. but the keyboard will work.. others not sure, some say that doing that will cause some keys to crash the computer because the US TOS has no correct map for it?

Your MSTE will not care about what the keycaps on your keyboard says. If you use a German keyboard with UK TOS you will still have a UK keyboard layout. UK and German keyboards are 100% identical except for the keycaps.
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

Atarieterno
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Atarieterno » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:48 am

Dear Bikerbob;
I have said it in our facebook group of Mega STe and I will also say it here: I have a German Mega STe and I have converted it into Spanish, I changed the TOS and therefore the keyboard configuration was automatically changed; now I can put a sticker on the keys that have been changed (for example "A" by the "Q") or try a physical exchange of the keys if the position angle allows it (in Mega ST keyboards it is not possible, there are "stepped" keys).

Regarding the voltage of the PSU: I provided official documentation, but I also hope that someone experienced will show us their knowledge.
ST/fm/e, STacy, Mega ST/e, TT, Falcon, C-Lab MKX... and more music tools.

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:07 pm

1. In my originally German Mega STE there is original PSU, manufacturer is PHIHONG, voltage 100-240V, 50-60HZ, 2A. Clear case.
But nobody says that some only ~230V PSU is not OK for it when you use it with such power.
I would not call it autosensing - it is just that switching PSUs (called now often 'inverter') can be designed to work with wide range of input voltage. The way how output voltage is controlled means that output voltage practically depend not from input voltage. But there is some minimal input voltage which is needed that can get proper output voltage and power. So, 100-240V PSU is designed for that low input too. On the other side, components must be tolerant on higher input voltage - like diodes, capacitors, transistors, transformers - when compare it to only 110V PSUs.

2. German kb. is 100% same as UK, US or any other, considering electronic. All translations are done in TOS, with keyboard tables. You can even find SW what converts your keyboard input to some other language, region one - of course only so far as it is in RAM.
Welcome to real World and be prepared to read/hear all amount of false info :mrgreen:
Negative feedback has usually positive effect.

Bikerbob
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Bikerbob » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:09 am

joska wrote:
Bikerbob wrote:2. Keyboard - I have confliciting reports that you can run a german keyboard on US TOS and it will just remap the keys. If I want the correct image on the keys I could put stickers, or replace the set with a US keycap set.. but the keyboard will work.. others not sure, some say that doing that will cause some keys to crash the computer because the US TOS has no correct map for it?

Your MSTE will not care about what the keycaps on your keyboard says. If you use a German keyboard with UK TOS you will still have a UK keyboard layout. UK and German keyboards are 100% identical except for the keycaps.

This is what I thought.. its the TT keyboard right?? They look like an identical key layout to me.

James

Bikerbob
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Bikerbob » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:12 am

Atarieterno wrote:Dear Bikerbob;
I have said it in our facebook group of Mega STe and I will also say it here: I have a German Mega STe and I have converted it into Spanish, I changed the TOS and therefore the keyboard configuration was automatically changed; now I can put a sticker on the keys that have been changed (for example "A" by the "Q") or try a physical exchange of the keys if the position angle allows it (in Mega ST keyboards it is not possible, there are "stepped" keys).

Regarding the voltage of the PSU: I provided official documentation, but I also hope that someone experienced will show us their knowledge.

Yes I know.. I am asking again only because I am trying to buy the Keycaps from B&C and Best electronics.. and both of them are saying that the keyboards do not convert and that the PSU needs to be changed. which is directly against what I have learned.

James

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:59 am

What a shock ! Some sellers saying incorrect things. I think that whole knowledge of Best and like can be summarized in 2 sentences:
Buy it for little money, sell for as much possible. Do everything to sell stuff. :coffe:

To add that new PSU is always better than some 26 years old one, even if it works not on 110V power - who in EU needs it ?
Negative feedback has usually positive effect.

Bikerbob
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Bikerbob » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:32 pm

Sorry AtariZoll, not sure I understood that last line..

I did get a response back from both BEST and B&C yesterday.. B&C recommended I buy from BEST as they are better for parts than him.
B&Cs response after I clarified that I am talking about an MEGA STE.. not a MEGA.. said 1. yes they all had the switching PSU.. 2. he has no keycaps for a TT/megaste Keyboard.. bummer.. now I am going to have to figure out how re-label my own keys :)

James

Atarieterno
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Atarieterno » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:59 pm

AtariZoll wrote:What a shock ! Some sellers saying incorrect things. I think that whole knowledge of Best and like can be summarized in 2 sentences:
Buy it for little money, sell for as much possible. Do everything to sell stuff. :coffe:

To add that new PSU is always better than some 26 years old one, even if it works not on 110V power - who in EU needs it ?

+ 1.

I hope it is a controlled "disease", or we could look like another brand of computers with its absurd prices in components and reinforcements.
ST/fm/e, STacy, Mega ST/e, TT, Falcon, C-Lab MKX... and more music tools.

Wayne123
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Wayne123 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:56 pm

Bikerbob wrote:Sorry AtariZoll, not sure I understood that last line..

I did get a response back from both BEST and B&C yesterday.. B&C recommended I buy from BEST as they are better for parts than him.
B&Cs response after I clarified that I am talking about an MEGA STE.. not a MEGA.. said 1. yes they all had the switching PSU.. 2. he has no keycaps for a TT/megaste Keyboard.. bummer.. now I am going to have to figure out how re-label my own keys :)

James

Too bad there is not a replacement keycaps option for Atari computers, on the Amiga side they got keycaps and new cases for some of the models.
I would look for a PS2 adapter and use a PC keyboard, I know there used to be an adapter available.
1040 STF, MiST

Bikerbob
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Bikerbob » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:06 am

Yeah.. I can do that easy enough Wayne123, I have a micocosmos, so I can just use a USB keyboard no issues.. Just would have been nice.

James

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”