ST keyboard protocol and scan codes info?

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

ST keyboard protocol and scan codes info?

Postby Fujiyama » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:14 pm

I've gotten in touch with a developer of an Amiga USB HID keyboard interface, asking if he'd consider making an Atari ST compatible version.
He replied asking for the Atari ST key codes and transmission protocol.

Could he be referring to the keyboard scan codes for the former which I believe means the hex codes for displaying a specific character on the screen?
As for "transmission protocol" I have no idea what that means. Can someone suggest what information and sources I give him?
Could the IKBD protocol be part of what he's asking for?
Perhaps the Eiffel 3 docs might also be of help?
Mega STe | MonSTer (Mega STe) with dual IDE-CF memory card adapter | STe | SM-144 |NEC Multisync 1990SXi | IDE doubler | ST_ESCC | RSVE | ICD Link II | Link '97 | HD floppy drive/AJAX | HD floppy module | Minolta PCMCIA card-drive | Realtime Clock module | Discovery cartridge | Unitor-2 | Export | Combiner | Steady Eye | Human Touch | Unicorn USB

Are you a good person?

simonsunnyboy

Re: ST keyboard protocol and scan codes info?

Postby simonsunnyboy » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:34 pm

The linked protocol file should be right. It also contains a scancode list at the bottom.
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Fujiyama » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:33 pm

Thanks Simonsunnyboy.
Regarding the EIffel, which of course has all the details at the Atari-end of the interface worked out (and tried & tested over several years), and seeing that it's now got a free "GPL-like" license... would it help to use it as a basis for creating the same thing, only with USB at the other end instead of PS/2 or are the two so different that it really needs to be built from scratch?
Mega STe | MonSTer (Mega STe) with dual IDE-CF memory card adapter | STe | SM-144 |NEC Multisync 1990SXi | IDE doubler | ST_ESCC | RSVE | ICD Link II | Link '97 | HD floppy drive/AJAX | HD floppy module | Minolta PCMCIA card-drive | Realtime Clock module | Discovery cartridge | Unitor-2 | Export | Combiner | Steady Eye | Human Touch | Unicorn USB

Are you a good person?

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:22 pm

Problem with the Eiffel software is that AFAIK it is written in PIC assembly language. This is terrible to read and debug. More or less WORN code, "write once read never".

However if I am wrong and it is C, it might be an option.
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Fujiyama » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:01 pm

Why would someone do that? Is it easier/faster to write (assuming you get it right the first time)?
I found the sources at the bottom of the Eiffel page, more specifically the file (Eiffel.lzh) directly.
But not being a programmer I have little or no idea how to interpret the files other than say the source files are included.

Are you a good person?

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:50 am

I have C-code that does exactly what that developer needs (keycode translation, basic IKBD implementation, IKBD mouse -> HID). He can get in touch with me if he's interested.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”