MonSTer IDE LED not working

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

MonSTer IDE LED not working

Postby Fujiyama » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:19 am

I've got an IDE to Compact Flash adapter connected to my Mega STe MonSTer board but the LED pins appear not to work. Maybe I've got it wrong, but I believe it's like this:

I started looking into this because my new IDE-CF adapter's LED doesn't light up either, so I blamed it on poor quality and decided to go with the on-board MonSTer LED pins instead.
I also have another IDE-CF adapter, which unlike the one with the malfunctioning LED is a dual type (it takes two CF cards -master and slave) and there the activity LED works fine. Strange. So maybe there's some sort of interaction between the two. Apart from the LED everything else seems to work.
Photos of the two IDE-CF adapters are shown here.

UPDATE: I've done some further testing by using both IDE connectors (the dual IDE-CF adapter on the secondary bus, the single IDE-CF adapter to the primary). I have no way of attaching it the other way round since the single IDE-CF adapter would then physically block the primary bus connector on the MonSTer). It all works fine as far as the Atari goes, and the activity LED on the dual adapter flashes whenever there's activity from either of its CF cards, but again no LED flashing on the single adapter.
I'm using HDdriver (10.02) which auto-boots the CF card on the single board. It's shown as "IDE 0.0" in HDDRUTIL.APP while the master CF card on the dual board is shown as "IDE 2.0" and the slave CF on the same dual board is shown as "IDE 3.0". Why is there no "IDE 1.0"?

UPDATE 2: Having attached an LED to the IDE secondary bus it does indeed light up! I believe I've got the polarity the other way round in the above photo though. But again the primary LED (on the MonSTer) doesn't work regardless of polarity.
Maybe I should check the pin connection on the underside of the MonSTer.
Mega STe | MonSTer (Mega STe) with dual IDE-CF memory card adapter | STe | SM-144 |NEC Multisync 1990SXi | IDE doubler | ST_ESCC | RSVE | ICD Link II | Link '97 | HD floppy drive/AJAX | HD floppy module | Minolta PCMCIA card-drive | Realtime Clock module | Discovery cartridge | Unitor-2 | Export | Combiner | Steady Eye | Human Touch | Unicorn USB

Are you a good person?

alanh
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: MonSTer IDE LED not working

Postby alanh » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:21 am

The MonSTer LED just comes from the IDE pins, so it sounds like there's something wrong on your IDE-CF interface.
Falcon CT60, Falcon CT63 x2, TT x3, MegaST x2, MegaSTE x2, STFM x2, STE x2, STacy, STBook, (Dead) Hades 060, Milan 060, T40.

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: MonSTer IDE LED not working

Postby Fujiyama » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:37 am

Thanks for clarifying.
Yes, it does seem something strange is going on with it.
Mega STe | MonSTer (Mega STe) with dual IDE-CF memory card adapter | STe | SM-144 |NEC Multisync 1990SXi | IDE doubler | ST_ESCC | RSVE | ICD Link II | Link '97 | HD floppy drive/AJAX | HD floppy module | Minolta PCMCIA card-drive | Realtime Clock module | Discovery cartridge | Unitor-2 | Export | Combiner | Steady Eye | Human Touch | Unicorn USB

Are you a good person?

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”