Dilemma: Mega STE or not Mega STE?

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

Atarieterno
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Dilemma: Mega STE or not Mega STE?

Postby Atarieterno » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:12 am

I have been a ST user since 1985, it is my most faithful musical tool, but I tried the Mega STe and it is not possible to go back: Cubase and all the programs will thank you for that increase of power, and if you also get a VME graphics card will be wonderful.
Mega STe is a fabulous machine.
ST/fm/e, STacy, Mega ST/e, TT, Falcon, C-Lab MKX... and more music tools.

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Fujiyama » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:30 am

I agree. It's a wonderful machine and looks very cool. Especially with the SM.144 monitor and also the even more gorgeous (IMHO) NEC Multisync 1990SXi LCD monitor I recently got hold of. With the computer, keyboard and monitor in a cream-like colour it looks quite futuristic and "different" from the usual boring, generic looking PCs. Here's a picture of the TT and 1990SXi, identical to the Mega STe:

Unfortunately its motherboard won't fit in a 19" rack enclosure (unless you get a very deep one) so I'll most likely sell mine once I get it 100% working again and keep the STe instead. A complete Mega STe (recapped PSU and new fan) with the original internal SCSI interface and hard drive, MonSTer board with a CF-adapter, upgraded 1.44MB floppy drive/controller and possibly also an Atari SM-144 monitor and maybe even a full Notator SL package and perhaps even some add-on MIDI hardware should make it an attractive buy for someone who's looking for a stable and efficient MIDI computer, even in 2017. We'll see when I get the STe finished.

Being recased with various hardware add-ons (realtime battery-backed clock, TOS 2.06, 1.44MB floppy drive/controller interface, ST_ESSC/RSVE for additional and faster serial ports, and a MonSTer board for silent/fast CF or SD-card storage, Flash ROM and 8MB additional ALT-RAM) my 4MB STe should be "almost" like a Mega STe, but I will miss the 16MHz although it's not used with Notator SL (which will be the main purpose for this computer). Neither can a VME graphic board be used with Notator, so I haven't bothered with it (nor have I ever come across anyone selling one).
As I understand it, Cubase is better in this respect.
Mega STe | MonSTer (Mega STe) with dual IDE-CF memory card adapter | STe | SM-144 |NEC Multisync 1990SXi | IDE doubler | ST_ESCC | RSVE | ICD Link II | Link '97 | HD floppy drive/AJAX | HD floppy module | Minolta PCMCIA card-drive | Realtime Clock module | Discovery cartridge | Unitor-2 | Export | Combiner | Steady Eye | Human Touch | Unicorn USB

tteclado
Atari User
Atari User

Postby tteclado » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:48 am

Estrayk wrote:Hello, I changed time ago the noisy original fan by Noctua NF-A6x25. No more noise!

Dremel Dream! :lol:

EmpireAndrew
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby EmpireAndrew » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:29 pm

I don't know how much air flow the TT needs, but I used the resistor pack to slow the fan down because:

1. On full power it *feels* far more powerful than the original TT one and given it's a modern, premium fan vs whatever Atari could find cheap that' probably the case.
2. A significant source of heat is the SCSI hard drive. As I replaced that with a Gigafile CF reader that heat is now gone.
3. Comparing the TT to my Mac LC III which also has a 32MHz 030 and its fan speed seems on par with the slowed Noctua in the TT now. Granted the power supplies are different but I doubt there's much difference in efficiency and capacity as the machines are similarly specced and form the same period of time.

But without specs I can't do much, other than maybe put a temperature probe in the PSU and ran the different fans and see...
1977 VCS Heavy Sixxer (Boxed)
1990 Atari 1040STE, 4MB, UltraSatan, TOS 2.06, TT Touch -> Atari SC1435 Colour CRT Monitor
1991 Atari TT030, 2/64MB, Int 8GB Gigafile SCSI2CF, TOS 3.06, CaTTamaran Accelerator -> Atari TTM195 19" Mono CRT Monitor
1993 Atari Falcon030, 14MB, Int 4GB IDE2SD, TOS 4.04 -> Atari PTC1426 Color CRT Monitor
Amiga, Mac, DOS, Newton, SGI, Sun, NeXTStation and more!

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Fujiyama » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:07 pm

Good points there, EmpireAndrew!
I didn't think about the internal hard drive, and like you I have mine disabled (with a MonSTer board handling a CF memory card instead).
You used the "half speed" resistor pack, right? I tried both and there wasn't any noticeably difference in noise with the one that took it down just a little notch.

PS: what's a "TT Touch"? It's in your signature but the usual web searching hasn't come up with anything.
Mega STe | MonSTer (Mega STe) with dual IDE-CF memory card adapter | STe | SM-144 |NEC Multisync 1990SXi | IDE doubler | ST_ESCC | RSVE | ICD Link II | Link '97 | HD floppy drive/AJAX | HD floppy module | Minolta PCMCIA card-drive | Realtime Clock module | Discovery cartridge | Unitor-2 | Export | Combiner | Steady Eye | Human Touch | Unicorn USB

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby leech » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:10 pm

TT Touch is a replacement set of the rubber pieces underneath the key caps. It's magnificent, I've bought it for two machines already (Falcon and 1040STe) basically it makes your keyboard feel more like the TT/Mega STe's keyboard, instead of the spongy mess that is the standard.

Helps if I add the link;

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/520_1040.htm#TT
Atari 8Bits: 800xl, 600xl, XEGS, 800, 130xe, 130xe (fully upgraded (soon!))
Atari STs: 1040STf (broken shifter), 1040STe, Mega STe, TT030, Falcon (CT60e, SuperVidel)

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Fujiyama » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:15 pm

Sounds like a nice improvement!
Thanks for the link.

Symoon
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Symoon » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:31 pm

I opened the Mega STE again, to see which DMA chip I got, one that Jookie reported as causing problems with UltraSatan, or the right one...
As I'm not familiar with ST internals, I feel stupid but I don't seem to find it???

The motherboard looks like this one:
http://www.atari-wiki.com/images/d/d3/S ... _ppera.jpg
Anyone know where the DMA is?

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby leech » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:53 pm

If I recall, it is the one that is soldered in the middle of the two socketed ones under ahre the VME slot is. Either that or it is under the SCSI coard. I do know it is one that is never socketed.
Atari STs: 1040STf (broken shifter), 1040STe, Mega STe, TT030, Falcon (CT60e, SuperVidel)

Symoon
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Symoon » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:21 pm

Thanks! So, there are different chips for the DMA? Ones I saw, reported as faulty, looked very different (that would explain why I didn't find it on this board ;) )
I had taken a look under the SCSI card, but didn't notice anything that could be it - well, I was maybe looking for the wrong chip...

Atarieterno
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Atarieterno » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:32 pm

I will give my opinion and you can draw a conclusion from it:
The only thing that made me stop using a STe with Cubase since I bought it in its time, has been a Mega STe.
And the only thing that has made me leave the Mega STe in second place has been the TT.
Not even the Falcon (and I have two) has achieved that.
ST/fm/e, STacy, Mega ST/e, TT, Falcon, C-Lab MKX... and more music tools.

Symoon
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Symoon » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:25 am

Hi all, and happy new year!
Just a follow-up: I bought the SCSI2SD card, and it seems to work like a charm as internal drive on the Mega STE.

I had to struggle a bit with HDDriver to have the micoSD card formatted as 2 partitions - just had to set the partitions size to 511.9MB instead of 512.
1GB is not huge, but will be fine enough, as I will have an external UltraSatan if required (not tested both yet).

Only small fail so far: it seems the ST led doesn't work with the external led connector from the card - I'll have to test it with another one.

Symoon
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Symoon » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:13 pm

Ok, got the Ultrasatan working with the SCSI2SD :-D
The led problem was that one of the led cable was rotten and got cut as son as I moved it. I changed it for another spare led+cable I had and it works fine.

Two questions thought:
1- the system keeps asking me for confirmation at each and every file copy, even if I change my preferences. TOS 2.06 (fr) : is this some known issue with the TOS, or copying from one drive to another?
2- You guys that use SCSI2SD, how did you secure it inside the box? So far in mine, it's hanging freely...

Anyway, that's a pleasure to have a silent Mega STE!
Cheers and thanks for your help ;)

troed
Atari God
Atari God

Postby troed » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:08 pm

I'm guessing you had the shift key pressed when copying? :)

Symoon
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Symoon » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:20 am

Ah, no idea, I dont't think so but I made all copies using keyboard and not mouse, so maybe I did some newbie mistake ;)
I'll have to check that again, thanks for the hint!

tzok
Atariator
Atariator

Postby tzok » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:45 pm

Doesn't MSTE have an internal IDE interface? If so, then you can easily connect an CompactFlash card, as they support IDE mode. CF-IDE passive adapters are cheap and easily available.

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby leech » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:19 pm

tzok wrote:Doesn't MSTE have an internal IDE interface? If so, then you can easily connect an CompactFlash card, as they support IDE mode. CF-IDE passive adapters are cheap and easily available.

Nope, only computer in the ST line that had built in IDE was the Falcon (internal IDE, external SCSI)
Mega STe and TT030, have SCSI internal and ACSI external.
Pretty sure all other STs have only external ACSI, except the Mega ST? Of which I'm unsure, since it is the only one of the ST family I haven't owned.

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”