Modded Atari 1040 STF, seeking help identifying mods

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

irix
Atarian
Atarian

Modded Atari 1040 STF, seeking help identifying mods

Postby irix » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:07 pm

Hi all,

I've just acquired an Atari 1040STF that had some mods done, I'd like to know what this all is.

I know the board on the right is a PC board. It has a NEC V30, so this must be the "PC Speed" board.

I've learned from the previous owner that is has a memory upgrade. Well, this version has no SIMMs like the STE, so I guess this must be it and it has a switch to turn it off.

But then there is another mod, it's partially attached to the cartridge port and it has a backup battery (CR2032) attached externally. It involves some chips and what looks to be an IDE connector. Could this be an IDE mod so I can like attach a IDE to CF card of some sort?
It also seems to have different ROMs burned?

All pictures in full size: http://imgur.com/a/C0UWo

I'm very curious!

SteveBagley
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Modded Atari 1040 STF, seeking help identifying mods

Postby SteveBagley » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:22 pm

I'd hazard a guess that the battery is connected to a real-time clock chip (the 8573P is a Philips clock chip) on the board with the 40-pin socket (I imagine the socket was used original to prototype it externally). The wires around the TOS ROMs are probably for some form of TOS switcher (although there's an odd amount of ROM there, only 320KB -- which is not enough for a typical dual-TOS setup…).

And I'd bet the switch and wires around the monitor port are for an Overscan style upgrade to increase the usable screen resolution.

Steve

irix
Atarian
Atarian

Postby irix » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:54 pm

The middle switch makes the monitor image go funky, so overscan could be it, although my monitor doesn't seem to support that mode.
Why would it need a RTC (and so many wires attached)?
The ST does boot, switching the other switch changes nothing. The disk drive seems to be broken (or stuck).
It takes ages to boot (with or without disk inserted), which I guess is typical ST when no disk is inserted (it's been a while for me in ST land). The About screen doesn't say a TOS version.

How can I check the amount of memory? And any software available to check the PC board?

SteveBagley
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby SteveBagley » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:29 pm

irix wrote:The middle switch makes the monitor image go funky, so overscan could be it, although my monitor doesn't seem to support that mode.

It will -- overscan needs a software patch applied to make it work...

Why would it need a RTC (and so many wires attached)?

The ST (by default) doesn't have a clock so you need to either a) manual enter the date/time every time, or b) deal with the date/time being wrong. Adding an RTC (I had a forget-me-clock 2 cartridge years ago) automatically sets the clock at boot (again, via a small software program added to the boot sequence). The number of wires make sense (+5v, GND, a few data wires, DTACK and battery) for a clock.

The ST does boot, switching the other switch changes nothing. The disk drive seems to be broken (or stuck).
It takes ages to boot (with or without disk inserted), which I guess is typical ST when no disk is inserted (it's been a while for me in ST land). The About screen doesn't say a TOS version.

Yep -- the ST will take about 40s to boot if there's no disk in the floppy. Inserting a blank formatted disk, will make it boot much faster.

How can I check the amount of memory? And any software available to check the PC board?

The PC-Speed software is available to download -- on the Driver Collection ISO available from http://dev-docs.atariforge.org . There's plenty of memory test software about -- Try SysInfo at https://sites.google.com/site/stessenti ... ls/sysinfo

Steve

irix
Atarian
Atarian

Postby irix » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:16 pm

So this has to be a 2MB upgrade, 3MB in total.

photo_2017-02-24_13-15-38.jpg

I can't get the disk drive working, pulled a working drive from an STe to get this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

irix
Atarian
Atarian

Postby irix » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:04 am

I've heard something about this Atari having Aladdin roms? Is this possible and (how) can I test this?

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”