Anyone recognizes this type harddisk?

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

Bas
Atari User
Atari User

Anyone recognizes this type harddisk?

Postby Bas » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:32 pm

Hello,

I've obtained this piece of hardware. See images.
Its an harddisk with 2 Dma ports. How do I hook it up to mega st 1?
Anyone experience with this on how using it?
I don't have cables with it just the power chord.

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Anyone recognizes this type harddisk?

Postby lp » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:43 pm

Looks sort of Mac-ish and I don't think that is Atari DMA. Looks more like SCSI connectors.

rpineau
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby rpineau » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:07 pm

It's a SCSI drive. You would need a ASCI to SCSI Adapter (ICD or other). Or if you have a Falcon or TT .. a SCSI cable
Falcon + AB040 + Eclipse PCI + ATI Rage VGA card + NE2000 Ethernec + HxC Floppy Emulator
MegaSTE 4MB + CosmosEx / 1040 STF for hardware dev
http://www.rti-zone.org/atari.php

Bas
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Bas » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:29 pm

rpineau wrote:It's a SCSI drive. You would need a ASCI to SCSI Adapter (ICD or other). Or if you have a Falcon or TT .. a SCSI cable

Great will try that! Don't know state of the drive...
Is there a way to tell which of the SCSI ports is the "in" and which the "out" ?
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

atari66
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby atari66 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:35 pm

in/out ports is irrelevant - but normally the other port will need a terminator like http://www.cablewholesale.com/products/ ... -05500.php

Bas
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Bas » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:47 pm

atari66 wrote:in/out ports is irrelevant - but normally the other port will need a terminator like http://www.cablewholesale.com/products/ ... -05500.php

So I need this terminator and a adapter asci - scsi cabl?
Can't find an adapter for the mega 1.
Anyone a link?

rpineau
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby rpineau » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:30 pm

Falcon + AB040 + Eclipse PCI + ATI Rage VGA card + NE2000 Ethernec + HxC Floppy Emulator

paul92706
Atari God
Atari God

Postby paul92706 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:57 pm

ah looks similar to the one i have! yes you will need ASCI-SCSI adaptor! for ST's
Atari Falcon CT60/CTPCI 14MB+ 512mb ATI9250 + NetUSBee
Atari Falcon030 CF 4gb + NetUSBee+ 14MB Ram
Atari TT030 2meg STRAM/16meg TTRAM + Nova Adaptor +Maxtor SCSI HD + DaynaPort Pocket SCSI

Bas
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Bas » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:33 am

paul92706 wrote:ah looks similar to the one i have! yes you will need ASCI-SCSI adaptor! for ST's

Do you have an image of the cable you use and where to get it?

Bas
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Bas » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:34 am

rpineau wrote:http://www.icd.com/atari/

Besides the ICD price the site is only maintained. They're not selling (anymore).
Thanks anyway.

rpineau
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby rpineau » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:22 am

this link was just for reference of what to look for (ebay, ....)

Kubik
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby Kubik » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:53 am

Honestly, I would say it's not worth the hassle. You even don't know if the thing works, and getting DMA cable and the ACSI-SCSI adapter could get rather pricey (plus you need SCSI cable as well). I'd say 15EUR for the cable, and 60EUR for the adapter, and in the end you'll end up with an amazing cable mess (don't forget a power supply for the adapter)... If you really want to spend some money on retro hardware, look for Megafile or SH204 / SH205. I have bought some for reasonable price (20/30 EUR).
I even think SH204 is SCSI internally, so eventually, you could use the drive from what you have in SH204 :)

czietz
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby czietz » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:13 am

Kubik wrote:I even think SH204 is SCSI internally, so eventually, you could use the drive from what you have in SH204 :)

Probably not. The setup inside a SH204 is as follows:

ACSI-Port <-> Atari ACSI/SCSI converter <-(very ancient SCSI)-> Adaptec ACB4000 controller <-(ST-506-interface)-> Hard disk

However, the ACSI/SCSI converter is very rudimentary, does not support many SCSI features, and (more or less) only works properly with said Adaptec controller. Even when used together with this controller, the converter still has a bug -- I developed a fix for that some time ago. So unfortunately chances are very low that a SCSI device will work with the converter found in the SH204.

dibasber
Atari User
Atari User

Postby dibasber » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:43 am

I would test it first and if it works look for the cables
Atari frends ???
where do you live?

Bas
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Bas » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:46 pm

rpineau wrote:this link was just for reference of what to look for (ebay, ....)

Tried Ebay but no luck.

Bas
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Bas » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:49 pm

dibasber wrote:I would test it first and if it works look for the cables
Atari frends ???
where do you live?

In the Netherlands. Besides this I have an Megafile 60 wich I can't seem to get running.

OK so it's not worth investing in al cables/adapters/components if the endresult is still unknown.

Is there a way to use an simple SD type media and connect this on the Megafile (Without al soldering and rebuilding)
That's worth the money and more durable.

Thanks so far!

czietz
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby czietz » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:11 pm

Bas wrote:Tried Ebay but no luck.

You could keep looking, ICD SCSI adapters pop up from time to time there. However, as Kubik already mentioned, it's probably not worth the price, unless you insist on getting a SCSI harddrive running.

Bas wrote:Besides this I have an Megafile 60 wich I can't seem to get running.

Then maybe you should concentrate your energy on fixing that, if possible. I see from your other posting on this that you didn't get very far in looking for the error. For example: Can you hear the drive even spin up? Did you check to which ACSI ID the Megafile is set? Did you check that the power supply operates properly? Did you use any ACSI bus scanning software -- such as IDCHECK.PRG or HOST.TOS from http://www.icd.com/atari/adscsi.zip? (Although they come bundled with ICD software, these two programs will run even if you don't have an ICD host adapter.)

Is there a way to use an simple SD type media and connect this on the Megafile (Without al soldering and rebuilding)

No, there is no reasonable way of connecting an SD card to the internals of a Megafile harddrive. Get a CosmosEx or Ultrasatan if you want to use SD cards without any soldering/modification of your Atari.

Bas
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Bas » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:31 pm

czietz wrote:
Bas wrote:Tried Ebay but no luck.

You could keep looking, ICD SCSI adapters pop up from time to time there. However, as Kubik already mentioned, it's probably not worth the price, unless you insist on getting a SCSI harddrive running.

Bas wrote:Besides this I have an Megafile 60 wich I can't seem to get running.

Then maybe you should concentrate your energy on fixing that, if possible. I see from your other posting on this that you didn't get very far in looking for the error. For example: Can you hear the drive even spin up? Did you check to which ACSI ID the Megafile is set? Did you check that the power supply operates properly? Did you use any ACSI bus scanning software -- such as IDCHECK.PRG or HOST.TOS from http://www.icd.com/atari/adscsi.zip? (Although they come bundled with ICD software, these two programs will run even if you don't have an ICD host adapter.)

No, there is no reasonable way of connecting an SD card to the internals of a Megafile harddrive. Get a CosmosEx or Ultrasatan if you want to use SD cards without any soldering/modification of your Atari.

I didn't get to far on the megafile because I didn't opened it yet. As far as hearing it spinning: can't be to sure because the fan is noisy.
Those icd programs is something most hardcore Atari users might know, I'm new to this. My first experience is with an STF and mega 1. So any help on programs that take me a step further, like you mentioned is helpfull.

czietz
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby czietz » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:03 pm

Bas wrote:I didn't get to far on the megafile because I didn't opened it yet.

Well, with the information you gave it's rather hard to diagnose from far away.

Bas wrote: As far as hearing it spinning: can't be to sure because the fan is noisy.

The disk drive in my SH204 easily drowns out the fan. Plus it makes this characteristic noise first spinning up and then doing a self test. The sound of it spinning down is also very noticeable. When looking at (or rather listening to) this video, it seems that a Megafile 60 sounds similar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUsVigHLsIQ

Kubik

Postby Kubik » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:19 pm

Bas
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Bas » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:42 pm

czietz wrote:
Bas wrote:I didn't get to far on the megafile because I didn't opened it yet.

Well, with the information you gave it's rather hard to diagnose from far away.

Bas wrote: As far as hearing it spinning: can't be to sure because the fan is noisy.

The disk drive in my SH204 easily drowns out the fan. Plus it makes this characteristic noise first spinning up and then doing a self test. The sound of it spinning down is also very noticeable. When looking at (or rather listening to) this video, it seems that a Megafile 60 sounds similar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUsVigHLsIQ

That's why it's a forum, a center for sharing of advice or knowledge with, in my case so far minimal information.
If you where my neighbor it would be much easier .

The megafile makes a fan noise almost like vacuumcleaner. I'll open it up and see what's inside. From there continue on.

Thanks so far ! :)

MiggyMog
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby MiggyMog » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:47 pm

('< o o o o |''| STM,2xSTFM,2xSTE+HD,C-Lab Falcon MK2+HD,Satandisk,Ultrasatandisk,Ethernat.

nukebloodaxe
Atari User
Atari User

Postby nukebloodaxe » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:39 am

With setting up an HDD using the ICD tools, which you mentioned, the CosmosEX documentation page features a variety of tutorials on how to format an SD card using ICD. The same methods apply to an HDD, so have a read and see how you go: http://joo.kie.sk/?page_id=415

I am making a big assumption that the Megafile can be resurrected there. BTW, I remember having to park my SCSI drive [generic make] when I was using it with my STFM a fair few years back, was that required on the Megafile as well? (I ask, because I'm seeing no-one mentioning it, and it would be a big gotcha for people new to this.)

Miguel
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Miguel » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:46 am

Yeah those large 50 pin centronics connectors are indicative of SCSI, usually there is a termination plug that you would fit to one of those connectors so that nothing gets fried at the end of the SCSI chain.

Bas
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Bas » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:22 pm

nukebloodaxe wrote:With setting up an HDD using the ICD tools, which you mentioned, the CosmosEX documentation page features a variety of tutorials on how to format an SD card using ICD. The same methods apply to an HDD, so have a read and see how you go: http://joo.kie.sk/?page_id=415

I am making a big assumption that the Megafile can be resurrected there. BTW, I remember having to park my SCSI drive [generic make] when I was using it with my STFM a fair few years back, was that required on the Megafile as well? (I ask, because I'm seeing no-one mentioning it, and it would be a big gotcha for people new to this.)

I will try it! Might be the answer.
About parking the heads.... there's was this shipparc tool on the ahdi utils disk that will parc the heads for shipment. I don't know if that is the case here.
I won't open the device up, I'll give the icd formatting a chance. After that it's going to an fellow Atari soldier for inspection. As far as the internals go that's safest to make sure I'm not further wrecking the device.
Thanks for the tip!

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”