Help! Falcon030 not booting.

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

AtariAge
Atarian
Atarian

Help! Falcon030 not booting.

Postby AtariAge » Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:40 pm

Greetings,

I have a Falcon030 that is not booting, or likely powering on properly. When I turn on the computer, the internal hard drive spins up (as well as what sounds like a fan), but the power LED for the computer is not lit, and I'm not seeing any video output (currently using RF to a TV, but I have a VGA cable on order and should have it soon).

Looking for suggestions on ways to troubleshoot this so I can discern what's wrong and hopefully fix it. I know that the ST had issues with chips coming loose in sockets. I haven't opened this machine up yet to see if that's a potential issue.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

..Al

catmando
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: Help! Falcon030 not booting.

Postby catmando » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:26 pm

Are there any beeping sounds coming from the machine (you may need to connect the audio output on the back of the machine to hear them if someone has disconnected the internal speaker).

If you are seeing no power light the first thing I would check is that the keyboard is connected correctly inside (as if it isn't then the power light and floppy drive light will not work).

Post back when you have the answers
Atari Falcon Tos 4.04 | 14mb | IDE CF 2GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62 | 4mb | HxC Slim SD 8GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62/2.06 | 4mb | Floppy A-B Mod | IDE SD 4GB
Atari STFM
Android Devices (Running Hataroid and SToid)

Atari Forum Wiki - Use it before asking

AtariAge
Atarian
Atarian

Postby AtariAge » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:40 am

No beeping sounds coming from the machine through RF, although I have not tried connecting anything to the audio jack. I will try that and report back.

I did completely disassemble the machine earlier today -- the hard drive may be fine. It's the fan under the keyboard that was making the grinding noise, so it needs to be replaced (or possibly just cleaned, didn't look at it too closely). I disconnected both the HD and the FDD and that made no difference. I did disconnect the keyboard and reconnected it, so presumably that is not the issue with the power LED. The floppy drive light DOES come on, then goes off, then goes on again when I apply power.

I haven't yet checked the power supply outputs, but I will do that soon.

Thank you,

..Al

HuggyOne76
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby HuggyOne76 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:23 am

Hello !
Is the Dallas nvram ok ? If not, on my Falcon, it doesn't show anything on the output display but all lights are ok... So... ?

AtariAge
Atarian
Atarian

Postby AtariAge » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:46 am

HuggyOne76 wrote:Hello !
Is the Dallas nvram ok ? If not, on my Falcon, it doesn't show anything on the output display but all lights are ok... So... ?

Good question, I'm guessing the NVRAM is bad at this point. I have to remove the RF shield to get at it, though. Are replacements even available that have a good battery? Seems like that could be a potential culprit. I did try the NVRAM reset key combination upon bootup, but since my machine really doesn't seem to be booting up properly, I'm not sure that's accomplishing anything.

..Al

catmando
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby catmando » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:21 am

When was the last time the falcon worked correctly?
Atari Falcon Tos 4.04 | 14mb | IDE CF 2GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62 | 4mb | HxC Slim SD 8GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62/2.06 | 4mb | Floppy A-B Mod | IDE SD 4GB
Atari STFM
Android Devices (Running Hataroid and SToid)

Atari Forum Wiki - Use it before asking

trecool
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby trecool » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:53 pm

PSU should be the first to check also without the motherboard on to be on the safe side (thats the first thing I did when I bought my Falcon). Especially when the system is on storage for so long.
Put some load on while measuring to get the right numbers.

Keyboard clicking sound should come from the internal speaker when the atari logo appears.

AtariAge
Atarian
Atarian

Postby AtariAge » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:02 pm

I'm going to check the power supply and replace the NVRAM before I go any further with this. Will report back once I've done that, hopefully with success!

Thanks,

..Al

alexh
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby alexh » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:40 pm

The PSU works enough to power the HDD. Maybe try and remove the power from the HDD?

If it is dead then that can affect boot time and believe it or not prevent your floppy drive from working

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”