How I found some original Atari ST ASIC designs

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

fpgaarcade
Atari freak
Atari freak

Re: How I found some original Atari ST ASIC designs

Postby fpgaarcade » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:09 pm

czietz wrote:The files are now available for download. Scroll to the bottom of http://www.chzsoft.de/asic-web/

Great. I've pretty much got the same. I' parked this ages ago as I couldn't get the print program to work on a couple of sheets.
I started to debug the print program and figure out the dwg format, but I got bored. Anybody got any idea what software they used?

I'll go through my stuff and see what else I have tonight.
/Mike

Torlus
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Torlus » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:20 pm

fpgaarcade wrote:Very nice - I couldn't face the amount of work there. I keep meaning to run your stuff on my Replay hardware - I assume that would be ok?

The Jaguar design is quite large, I used a modified Stratix-II board, which is (old) high-end hardware.
I'll have a look at your Replay board, and let you know.
However, I think my SEGA Genesis/Megadrive and PC-Engine/Turbografx cores, which run on a Altera DE1 board, should play nicely on your board.

fpgaarcade
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby fpgaarcade » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:22 pm

Cheers. I had better get my Atari design working and released 'suppose first. Real life keeps getting in the way of the fun stuff :(
Let me know if you would like a board, I'll send you one to play with.

czietz
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby czietz » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:29 pm

fpgaarcade wrote:Great. I've pretty much got the same. I' parked this ages ago as I couldn't get the print program to work on a couple of sheets.
I started to debug the print program and figure out the dwg format, but I got bored. Anybody got any idea what software they used?

I'll go through my stuff and see what else I have tonight.

Yes, please. As mentioned on my webpage, one floppy disk image was missing. So if you have anything more, be it schematics or netlists or something else, it would of course be great if you posted it as well.

fpgaarcade
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby fpgaarcade » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:34 pm

I don't have the image no sadly. I have a lot of deep ASIC stuff which is not terribly useful - luckily I've spent ages rewriting it to something which is.

I'm having a mail conversation with Ijor - drop me mail also if you would.
/Mike

fpgaarcade
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby fpgaarcade » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:54 pm

Right, Team ASIC are having a little chat. I'm going through my archives and hopefully we'll get some FPGAs doing their funky thing soon.

1st1
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby 1st1 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:52 pm

The ST-Gameshifter chip of the panther project looks very complete in the PDF. It should be possible to redo it in VHDL and then test it, mybe add it in MiST ST core and try to do some video output with it. It has 18 Bit RGB.

Also the Sparrow circuit diagrams are interesting, you can see here how an STE on the half way to a Falcon mutation. Maybe it even would be possibe to add ACSI to Falcon from these diagrams.

I haven't had a look into the Blitter and GSTMCU diagrams, but they may help to again improve emulators and MiST core again, but they are already very advanced. Maybe they also would be nice for FPGA spare/replacement of the original chips in case of Atari computer repair?
Power without the Price. It's not a bug. It's a feature. _/|\_ATARI

1040STFM in PC-Tower (PAK68/2, OvrScn, 4 MB, 1GB SCSI, CD-ROM...) * 2x Falcon 030 32GB/14MB+ScrnBlstrIII * 2x TT030 73GB/20MB+Nova * 520/1040STFM * 520/1040STE * 260/520ST/+ * some Mega ST * 2x Mega STE 500MB/4MB+M.CoCo * Stacy * STBook * SLM605 * SLM804 * SLM605 * SMM804 * SH 204/205 * Megafile 30/44/60 * SF314 * SF354 * 5x Pofo * PC3

dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dlfrsilver » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:54 pm

Congratulations for finding such historical documents. I hope this will benefit in every possible way :) !!!
Now SPS France representative since the 19th of June 2014. Proud to be an SPS member !

FedePede04
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby FedePede04 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:53 pm

dlfrsilver wrote:Congratulations for finding such historical documents. I hope this will benefit in every possible way :) !!!

I have a questions for you dlfrsilver.
why have you not been been comment on the thread, i think you will find it very interesting

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=29615&hilit=dml&start=275
Atari will rule the world, long after man has disappeared

sometime my English is a little weird, Google translate is my best friend :)

dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dlfrsilver » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:37 am

I have not found anything about a question for me :D

However, you'll find something that nobody on the net got handy :)

Check the topic you pointed me to lol ;)
Now SPS France representative since the 19th of June 2014. Proud to be an SPS member !

fpgaarcade
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby fpgaarcade » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:28 am

Please show support and love to Curt Vendel @ The Atari History Museum http://www.atarimuseum.com.

Without his tireless collection of discarded Atari items, and efforts to rescue and recover data from the tape and disk backups, none of the work we are doing now would be possible.

/Mike

fpgaarcade
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby fpgaarcade » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:30 am

I've put the first cut of two more on here.
http://www.fpgaarcade.com/2016/08/26/mo ... documents/

czietz, I'll mail you the merged archive to play with.

calimero
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby calimero » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:25 pm

so "Atari HQ" documents sits on LP sites for years until now? :D
great finding and decoding czietz !

who made this "Atari HQ" documents in first place? Curt Vendel?

btw you mention Turrican Blog on your page - this blog is treasure-trove!! :D
>>> http://turricanblog.blogspot.rs/2012/07 ... -2012.html
using Atari since 1986.http://wet.atari.orghttp://milan.kovac.cc/atari/software/ ・ Atari Falcon030/CT63/SV ・ Atari STe ・ Atari Mega4/MegaFile30/SM124 ・ Amiga 1200/PPC ・ Amiga 500 ・ C64 ・ ZX Spectrum ・ RPi ・ MagiC! ・ MiNT 1.18 ・ OS X

fpgaarcade
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby fpgaarcade » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:46 pm

"Who made this "Atari HQ" documents in first place? Curt Vendel?"

He was certainly involved in rescuing data. I'm not sure who made the archive.

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:04 pm

calimero wrote:so "Atari HQ" documents sits on LP sites for years until now? :D
great finding and decoding czietz !

who made this "Atari HQ" documents in first place? Curt Vendel?

Go to ebay and lookup item # 140966936268 as they are still trying to sell it. Notice 33 watchers, or should I say potential victims. :( It would only take a few minutes to make this available for free, yet they have been soaking people since 2012 or earlier, as I discovered it around 2012.

As for the origins of the contents. I don't think Curt Vendel would sell it. I also think he would be upset if someone was selling something he originally collected. If you look at the image on the ebay page, the disk reads 'Organized by Glenn Brunner'. Strange, the disk they mailed me has his last name removed.

I found Glenn http://www.jagware.org/jag_uploads/dev/ ... jaguar.htm Don't know if he's still active or how his name ended up on this CD sold by B & C ComputerVisions.
Last edited by lp on Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.

fpgaarcade
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby fpgaarcade » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:26 pm

Is the disk you received the same as the Atari HD ISO?
Curt certainly wouldn't sell it.

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:29 pm

lp wrote:Go to ebay and lookup item # 140966936268 as they are still trying to sell it. Notice 33 watchers, or should I say potential victims. :( It would only take a few minutes to make this available for free, yet they have been soaking people since 2012 or sooner, as I only discovered it around 2012. Perhaps, we all should go to ebay and report it as copyrighted material. The voice of many speaks louder than the voice of one.

Please don't. They are B&C. One of the two only Atari sellers remaining. And with my experience with them, they are serious and honest people.

Yes, they should somewhere warn that the material is available for free somewhere else, if you want.

But we don't want him (or you, or me, or atari-forum for that matter) being messed with Atari copyright issues.

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:36 pm

lp wrote:As for the origins of the contents. I don't think Curt Vendel would sell it. I also think he would be upset if someone was selling something he originally collected.

Curt Vendel and Bruce Carso (B&C) are good friends. I'm not trying to imply that Curt is making money out of this selling. Just that I doubt he cares too much ...

EDIT: I meant I doubt Curt would be upset if B&C sells this CD or not. He even possiblly knows already.

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:39 pm

fpgaarcade wrote:Is the disk you received the same as the Atari HD ISO?
Curt certainly wouldn't sell it.

The other way around. I bought the HQ disk in 2012 from ebay, ISO'd it and uploaded it to devdocs.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=24296

fpgaarcade
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby fpgaarcade » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:43 pm

Well done, the print program it contains allowed me to unlock some earlier stuff I received.

calimero
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby calimero » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:28 pm

ijor wrote:
lp wrote:As for the origins of the contents. I don't think Curt Vendel would sell it. I also think he would be upset if someone was selling something he originally collected.

Curt Vendel and Bruce Carso (B&C) are good friends. I'm not trying to imply that Curt is making money out of this selling. Just that I doubt he cares too much ...

omg. please lets clear up some thing:

http://www.myatari.com - B & C ComputerVisions Atari Sales & Service (This page Last UPDATE this page 11/19/2012) have nothing to do with Curt Vendel? right?

lp bought this Atari HQ CD from "B & C ComputerVisions" on ebay. So, for now, they are source of this infos. right?
using Atari since 1986.http://wet.atari.orghttp://milan.kovac.cc/atari/software/ ・ Atari Falcon030/CT63/SV ・ Atari STe ・ Atari Mega4/MegaFile30/SM124 ・ Amiga 1200/PPC ・ Amiga 500 ・ C64 ・ ZX Spectrum ・ RPi ・ MagiC! ・ MiNT 1.18 ・ OS X

denial
Atarian
Atarian

Postby denial » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:23 pm

fpgaarcade wrote:Many years ago I received some files from an anonymous source
So it is coincidence that you and the engineer mentioned on the 4078/4079 PDFs share the same name?

fpgaarcade
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby fpgaarcade » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:44 pm

Yes. The exact same name, including middle initial - I found it really freaky.

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:01 am

fpgaarcade wrote:
czietz wrote:The files are now available for download. Scroll to the bottom of http://www.chzsoft.de/asic-web/

Great. I've pretty much got the same. I' parked this ages ago as I couldn't get the print program to work on a couple of sheets.

Have you tried an old Dos version of AutoCAD / AutoSketch?
TT030: 4MB/16MB + Crazy Dots, Mega"SST" 12, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

fpgaarcade
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby fpgaarcade » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:59 am

We now know it was Futurenet DASH they used. Xilinx bought this, and I've got an old copy of XACT which may work.

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”