Best choice of monitor

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

Driant
Atariator
Atariator

Best choice of monitor

Postby Driant » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:35 am

Hi chaps,

I'm picking up a 1040ST and have an ST>Scart cable on order. I've seen lots of threads about differing display options - LCD, converters, RGB etc. and given I am what's technically known as a spaz I wondered if anyone can just point out a few specific models of good monitors that work well for the ST. Just looking for specifics I can search for on Amazon and know they'll work well based on your recommendations. I just want to play games on it so nothing fancy, LCD would be preferred for space saving but CRT is fine too.

Thanks in advance.

D

troed
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Best choice of monitor

Postby troed » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:01 am

IMHO the best Atari ST retro monitor is the Dell 2001FP flatscreen, with the soundbar attachment if no other speakers are used. It's 4:3 and has low latency so fast scrollers still feel quite smooth, although never as smooth as an analog screen would.

It does all three ST resolutions, but you would need a specially made cable (similar to RGB SCART, but using a VGA connector) for low res and then a switch or a separate cable for high.

Do note: Manufacturing date of the 2001FP is important. More information here: http://www.atari-wiki.com/index.php/Flat_Panel_Displays

/Troed

Driant
Atariator
Atariator

Re: Best choice of monitor

Postby Driant » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:25 am

Thanks matey. How much do I need the res switch etc. Were most games done in low or hi res? As the one you suggested doesn't have speakers is there a reasonable TV that would work - or can I just theoretically just pick up and old TV with scart?

D

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”